PDA

View Full Version : Slumpy The Writer Killer

David McAfee
10-14-2009, 08:36 PM
What are some of the things you guys do to get out of a slump? I've been slogging through a nasty one and just can't seem to spark up again.

Red-Green
10-14-2009, 09:15 PM
I write self-indulgent crap. Stuff I would never show anyone else: weepy melodrama, stupid comedy, kinky hardcore sex. Whatever appeals to my lowliest urges. Then, I write my way up out of the pit.

ink wench
10-14-2009, 09:22 PM
The only thing that works for me is to force myself to write. It's painful, but it's kind of like going to the gym. If I do it enough, eventually I start to enjoy it again.

Calla Lily
10-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Research. I find if i research all the nit picky details I need, that eventually I get fed up with all that work and open the WIP again. It's like tricking my own mind.

dawinsor
10-14-2009, 09:27 PM
The only thing that works for me is to force myself to write. It's painful, but it's kind of like going to the gym. If I do it enough, eventually I start to enjoy it again.

Enjoy? The gym? What is this "enjoy the gym" you speak of?

IHeartWriting
10-14-2009, 09:47 PM
I sometimes find a change of scenery helps. I usually write at home, but when I hit a slump I'll go to a cafe for a couple of days.

MsJudy
10-15-2009, 05:31 AM
I hang out here and do crits for other people. The illusion that I know what I am talking about usually gets me going.

BigRed
10-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Personally I like to check on the newest Goals and Accomplishments here. Newly published authors always inspire me to want to write more...especially if I'm in a slump. (And yes, I'd say we all get in slumps, occasionally!)

Ardelie
10-15-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm big into working off physical energy to get my mental energy back. I usually resort to walking off my slumps. Loading my ipod with inspiring tunes, especially haunting movie soundtracks, and just wandering around. I usually a) see something that reminds me of the beauty of life and hence why I write (corny, I know) or b) find that my mind starts to drift and the ideas start rolling. And if that doesn't work, running hard and fast until that oxygen rich blood floods my brain always seems to do the trick.

Jake G
10-16-2009, 03:18 AM
I usually go into slumps every time I revise and edit. Sometimes, I just get so depressed with the whole process. Honestly, it feels like I'm never going to finish.

From there, I switch my outlet. If I was writing fiction, I would try writing a play or screenplay. I search online for specific writing exercises and go from there.