PDA

View Full Version : COFFEEWISE

Rolli
10-14-2009, 02:50 AM
Curious how many cups of jo everyone downs on the average day. I've been know - am notorious, actually - for drinking upwards of two dozen, on a bad day. Healthy, no. But it really keeps one buzzing.

AnonymousWriter
10-14-2009, 02:52 AM
None. Don't like the taste of it.

Wayne K
One or two. I've switched to tea.

Kitty Pryde
The SF/F Cantina thread is known to spend a majority of its time talking about coffee and the time of consuming it (Coffee Timez!). I love coffee, but I almost always stick to 2-4 cups a day. Two dozen--goodness! I would be lying on the floor begging the room to stop vibrating if I tried that. A shaky tip-o-the-hat to you, sir.

truelyana
10-14-2009, 02:57 AM
No coffee for me neither. I just make rooibos or herbal tea. :)

Rolli
10-14-2009, 03:08 AM
It may seem an awful lot, Kitty, but I've built up a tolerance from years of hard drinking. It's reached the point where I need nine or ten cups to feel the slightest buzz. I can get a little bit sketchy after twenty, I'll admit.

I drink tea, too, in the evening - always Earl Grey.

Suppose I really should give water a try. It's just so - tedious.

kayleamay
10-14-2009, 03:14 AM
It may seem an awful lot, Kitty, but I've built up a tolerance from years of hard drinking. It's reached the point where I need nine or ten cups to feel the slightest buzz. I can get a little bit sketchy after twenty, I'll admit.

I drink tea, too, in the evening - always Earl Grey.

Suppose I really should give water a try. It's just so - tedious.

I've been known to down more than a dozen cups in a day as well. I've tried switching to tea, but it just didn't have the same appeal for me. I even tried Viso. All I can say about that is..BLECH!

My tolerance is so high that I really never get a caffeine buzz anymore, but it keeps me from driving my car off the road when sleep deprived.

I bleed dark roast.

Darzian
10-14-2009, 03:15 AM
24 cups?

:Jaw:

bettielee
10-14-2009, 03:17 AM
1-1/2 to 3. :)

I spend most of my day re-warming it.

Silver King
10-14-2009, 03:45 AM
Two or three mugs to help wake up and stave off hunger before lunch. Anything more and the coffee tends to make me feel queasy.

Rolli
10-14-2009, 03:50 AM
I've been known to down more than a dozen cups in a day as well. I've tried switching to tea, but it just didn't have the same appeal for me. I even tried Viso. All I can say about that is..BLECH!

My tolerance is so high that I really never get a caffeine buzz anymore, but it keeps me from driving my car off the road when sleep deprived.

I bleed dark roast.

I suspect there are a lot of black-bloods among us. It's too bad about tolerance. For a while, I tried drinking espressos instead, but it left me wondering what that would lead to, when I'd built up a tolerance to it. I'd've wound up, mornings, filling a bowl with fine grind, and eating it with a spoon.

veinglory
10-14-2009, 03:58 AM
If I get to 6 I stop. Too much caffeine means you lose energy overall rather than gaining it.

JoNightshade
10-14-2009, 04:07 AM
I drink an average of 3-4 cups (currently just decaf) per week. Two on Tuesday morning, one on Sunday morning, and one every other Thursday morning.

Yes, it's an odd pattern... but very easily explained. Every event at my church features a steaming pot of coffee, and I can't resist the smell. :)

Susie
10-14-2009, 04:14 AM
I'm with Anonymous. I drink tea w. milk. Who said I'm not a rebel? :D

MsGneiss
10-14-2009, 04:16 AM
About 2-3 cups, but I do drink about 150 cups of black tea per day.

Edit: I should qualify this. I don't like American drip coffee. At home I perk it, which makes it stronger. Otherwise, I drink espresso, which I add up as about 3 shots equal to one cup.

Silver King
10-14-2009, 04:19 AM
Another thing about too much coffee, and it might just be me, but it tends to, um, loosen the bowels a little more than necessary. That's been my experience, anyway, which I'm sure you're all pleased to know about at this point.

ETA: I said to my friend once, "You really need to get your shit together."

He said, "I know. I should cut down on the caffeine..."

brainstorm77
10-14-2009, 04:22 AM

tjwriter
10-14-2009, 04:22 AM
Another thing about too much coffee, and it might just be me, but it tends to, um, loosen the bowels a little more than necessary. That's been my experience, anyway, which I'm sure you're all pleased to know about at this point.

ETA: I said to my friend once, "You really need to get your shit together."

He said, "I know. I should cut down on the caffeine..."
Coffee is good for your intestines and it does help you go. There is some research out there that indicates coffee drinkers have fewer polyps and incidences of colon cancer.

As far as my consumption, I fill a travel mug in the morning, make sure it is full when I leave the house, top off at my mom's when I drop off the girls, and usually leave some in the cup after it gets cold at work. I usually have tea in the afternoon at work, but I sometimes have coffee at home in the evenings.

Darzian
10-14-2009, 04:28 AM
I'm with Anonymous. I drink tea w. milk. Who said I'm not a rebel? :D

*gasp* !!! What happened to the hot chocolates? :D

rhymegirl
10-14-2009, 04:29 AM
I like my coffee.

But I have high blood pressure so I have to go easy on how much I drink.

Silver King
10-14-2009, 04:36 AM
...There is some research out there that indicates coffee drinkers have fewer polyps and incidences of colon cancer...
If that's the case, then I would imagine our Rolli will be forever safe from those health issues.

JoNightshade
10-14-2009, 04:43 AM
Okay, for those of you up there in the double digits... does that not just make you have to go pee constantly?!

Adam
10-14-2009, 04:45 AM
I drink 6-10 cups of strong tea a day, as well as around 5-6 pints of water.

My dad drinks upwards of 12 coffees, and rarely drinks anything else (excluding booze). :eek:

writerterri
10-14-2009, 04:48 AM

I love coffee but it makes me sick. I don't know anybody like me who can drink coffee and have a severe blood sugar drop. One minute i'm fine the next I drop off a cliff. I can drink a cup but it has to be at the end of my day and i have to be really tired or else I stay up.

Did you know you could get the same bowel effect if you drank a cup of hot water.

Williebee
10-14-2009, 04:51 AM
drink? You aren't supposed to chew the stuff?

huh..

writerterri
10-14-2009, 04:55 AM
drink? You aren't supposed to chew the stuff?

huh..

UM, why, yes here's a bowl of it. And a spoon. Let me know when you're done. Or rather call me when you're ready to be peeled off the celing.

JoeEkaitis
10-14-2009, 05:03 AM
20 ounces first thing in the morning. I don't want to be remembered as the guy who drowned standing up in the shower.

MoonWriter
10-14-2009, 05:07 AM
On days off, I drink 3 8-cup pots. I love the smell of fresh brewed coffee and there's nothing like the taste of that first cup. Maybe I should make 8 3-cup pots. But I drink coffee and chicory, so there's not as much caffeine.

brainstorm77
10-14-2009, 05:08 AM
I drink 6-10 cups of strong tea a day, as well as around 5-6 pints of water.

My dad drinks upwards of 12 coffees, and rarely drinks anything else (excluding booze). :eek:

And you pee constantly!:ROFL:

Adam
10-14-2009, 05:09 AM
And you pee constantly!:ROFL:

More than is probably healthy. ;)

brainstorm77
10-14-2009, 05:10 AM
More than is probably healthy. ;)

Yer well flushed!:)

Adam
10-14-2009, 05:12 AM
I occasionally slosh if I move too fast too. :D

brainstorm77
10-14-2009, 05:13 AM
changer!

BenPanced
10-14-2009, 05:16 AM
1 cup per day Monday through Friday, and I really cut it loose on Saturday and Sunday when I have TWO CUPS. :partyguy: Woo! How do I do it? (Taking meds for possible acid reflux.)

Smish
10-14-2009, 05:18 AM
2. One in the morning. One in the afternoon.

I used to drink a ton of coffee, but decided to cut back. The withdrawal headaches were awful for awhile!

:)Smish

aadams73
10-14-2009, 05:21 AM
About three huge mugs of coffee--two sugars and fat-free milk. In the afternoon I drink Stash green tea. I have about a dozen flavors of that handy, all of them caffeinated.

Beyond that, I drink gallons of water.

Silver King
10-14-2009, 05:23 AM
Not sure what others here use for coffee makers, but I've been stuck on the Bunn brand for many years. (I won't link to the company here, but it's easy enough to find.)

One thing I hate is to wait for coffee while it brews. I want it now, damn it! And with that system, by the time I've fed the dog and retrieved the newspaper, three minutes tops, a fresh brewed pot awaits my shaking hands.

Throw in that I usually opt for Yuban coffee, and the day's off to a decent start.

KellyAssauer
10-14-2009, 05:34 AM
How many cups in a pot?
'cause I make two, sometimes three pots a day.
I grind it fresh (buy beans) use a Krupps,
prefer Kona blends, and If I get over caffeinated,
I go right to sleep - who'd a figured that?

benbradley
10-14-2009, 05:49 AM
After five years of "hanging around the barber shop" (a group of people famously addicted to coffee) I finally "got a haircut" (started drinking coffee). This was after quitting smoking as well as drinking, so in a way it was a "relapse" even though I had not regularly drank coffee before in my life. So I've been a coffee drinker for (doing arithmetic in head) 16 years. I drink at least 2 cups, often 4 and sometimes more per day.

I'm on a mailing list of people who quit hanging around THAT barber shop, though many of us apparently drink coffee (I haven't seen a poll, but my bets are on...). About a year ago a guy said he had been to the emergency room with heart problems (beating too fast, irregular beats, something like that), and the doctor said he had to cut down on drinking coffee. So drinking a lot of coffee can be a little scary. I've wanted to cut down or stop for years (after all it's another nasty habit I picked up from those ... people...).

Gregg
10-14-2009, 05:49 AM
I've got some heart issues and my cardiologist told me to give up coffee.

Well, I didn't, but cut my intake by more than half.

Two cups a day with about 20% decaf in each cup.

Never been much for tea -

mario_c
10-14-2009, 05:51 AM
I have had to cut back in recent years - not just due to anger issues :rolleyes: but apparently it helps make you fat. It blocks iron which is good for the metabolism or something...I don't know, I'm rolling dice at this point. Anyway, I remember the good old days of going through a pot and a half on weekdays. Now an average day is, start with about half a mug to warm up. Then fill the 16 oz travel mug for the commute, and two refreshers (6 or 8 oz) during the workday. It took awhile to figure that's two GALLONS a day - milk, no sugar.
So I do that on my first day (Tuesday) and midweek, for me it's Friday. The rest of the week is tea. Green. Decaf. Getting old sucks.

Sweetleaf
10-14-2009, 07:10 AM
I just have to say I love my espresso machine!

Nothing beats real coffee in the morning, but I usually only have 1 - 3 cups.

But I luuurve chocolate covered coffee beans. I make them for myself at Christmas. :D

JoNightshade
10-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Years ago my dad was drinking so much coffee he started having pains in his shoulder. (The connection was made by his doc.) He scaled WAY the heck back, 1-2 cups per day. He had a heart attack a couple of years ago and thankfully it was as mild as it could have been. I hate to think what would have happened if he'd still been chugging the stuff down.

So - when did you guys start drinking coffee, if you remember? I used to hate the stuff, but then I got a caretaking job that was 24 hours on, 24 off. The 81 year old guy I was watching (along with his wife) liked to have his coffee right when he got up in the AM, so I'd make it for him when I showed up at 6 AM. After a couple of weeks on the job, boy, that coffee was looking pretty tempting. I loaded up on sugar and milk and... well, yeah, it helped. Kinda. ;)

Sweetleaf
10-14-2009, 07:55 AM
I didn't start until I was 20, and moved in with a friend of mine.

She was a single mum on the benefit and did pretty much nothing but drink coffee and smoke cigarettes all day, so she kinda got me into it.

Sad thing is, 13 years later, she's still exactly the same...

roonil_wazlib
10-14-2009, 07:57 AM
If it's Don Francisco's Pumpkin Spice coffee, two cups a day. Otherwise, once or twice a week. I like mah coffee flavoured.

BenPanced
10-14-2009, 08:17 AM
How many cups in a pot?
'cause I make two, sometimes three pots a day.
I grind it fresh (buy beans) use a Krupps,
prefer Kona blends, and If I get over caffeinated,
I go right to sleep - who'd a figured that?
Kona or Kenya AA for me. The first time I had a really good cup of Kenya AA was the last time I had a really good slice of banana cream pie. :Coffee: I've had good Kenya AA but not good banana cream pie since.

I first started drinking coffee as a regular habit when I was about 20 or 21. Back then, I'd take 5 sugars in your standard 6 - 8 oz. cup. I've scaled back to 1 stick of stevia, which is equivalent to 2 sugar. There was one day where for some fool reason, I decided to have a cup an hour while at work. Just to see what it's like. I quit after 7. :crazy: :e2woo: Imagine the "woo hoo" smilie sped up triple time.

Smish
10-14-2009, 08:54 AM
So - when did you guys start drinking coffee, if you remember? I used to hate the stuff, but then I got a caretaking job that was 24 hours on, 24 off. The 81 year old guy I was watching (along with his wife) liked to have his coffee right when he got up in the AM, so I'd make it for him when I showed up at 6 AM. After a couple of weeks on the job, boy, that coffee was looking pretty tempting. I loaded up on sugar and milk and... well, yeah, it helped. Kinda. ;)

I didn't start drinking coffee until I was 22. I was a grad student, and working a full-time job. I needed lots of coffee then. :D

aadams73
10-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Not sure what others here use for coffee makers, but I've been stuck on the Bunn brand for many years. (I won't link to the company here, but it's easy enough to find.)

I have a Cuisinart that I'm pretty happy with. Fingers crossed, it's been making me cup after cup of great coffee for a couple of years.

So - when did you guys start drinking coffee, if you remember?

I was a little kid. My parents would often give me what I wanted as a deterrent. They let me sneak one of their cigarettes and take a puff when I was about 4, then laughed when I almost coughed up a lung. Same thing with coffee. They let me take a swig of theirs, certain I'd hate it. Only I didn't. I've been a coffee drinker ever since--granted, never more than 6 or so cups a day at my peak.

Justin91
10-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Wow..2 dozen cups...wow!

I drink 3 to 4 cups a day. I drink it black and cut it with a little cold water so I can drink it faster, less sipping.

On the weekends I am off I drink a few cups with a little milk and suger.

On the days I dont drink my coffee I have found i have terrible headaches!

Silent Rob
10-14-2009, 12:33 PM
I used to be at the stage where I'd eat nescafe off the spoon like some kind of slavering beast. Luckily, it's not an illegal drug otherwise I could imagine that I'd have been out the back behind the bins selling my pert young body to get my fix. Sad.

I currently only have a two cups per day habit. And it's fresh ground. Only the good stuff for me.

Darzian
10-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Judging by the thread, if anyone's doing well in the recession, it's the coffee industry.

And Tim Hortons (or Starbucks I suppose).

KTC
10-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Curious how many cups of jo everyone downs on the average day. I've been know - am notorious, actually - for drinking upwards of two dozen, on a bad day. Healthy, no. But it really keeps one buzzing.

Are you a Timmy's addict too?

Kenzie
10-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Two really strong cups, then I switch to decaf for one or two more, or tea.

kct webber
10-14-2009, 04:10 PM
I made three pots a day for years. 12-cup pots, and I was the only one in the house who drank it. I've cut back a lot. Now I make two pots a day, but it's between me and my girlfriend. I've been smoke free for five weeks now too. Trying to healthy up a bit. :) I still do looooooovvvvve my coffee, though. I still drink more than my share of those two pots.

darkprincealain
10-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Usually 1-2 cups, it used to be more but I find that's plenty these days. I have a Gevalia coffee maker at home, but I don't care for their coffee, so it varies a little at home what I have. Right now, I have some Folgers and some Starbucks.

Wayne K
10-14-2009, 06:48 PM
I grind my own beans. That canned crap isn't fit to be used as cat litter.

kayleamay
10-14-2009, 07:02 PM
need coffee now

brainstorm77
10-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Need cat litter...

Susie
10-14-2009, 07:25 PM
*gasp* !!! What happened to the hot chocolates? :D

LOL, yeah, I manage to get in hot chocolates & malted quite often throughout the day. *burp.* :D

Rolli
10-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Are you a Timmy's addict too?

You knew it. In fact, I'm drinking it right now (extra large double double). I'd just die without my Timmy Ho's.

Rolli
10-14-2009, 07:56 PM
I should add that, since starting this thread last night, I've received promotional emails from two coffee companies - and one has become a follower of my Tweets. It's the funniest thing.

As for the #2 question, I do find that coffee - loosens the stools. It's not like it causes an excess of - production - it's just that, well, when nature calls, you have to listen - pronto. And there's lot of #1 going down - that's unavoidable. I practically need a catheter. Which puts me in mind of the most unintentionally hilarious commercial I've seen in a long long time, which plays a lot on GSN. Here's a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jEs97x9QKk).

Mela
10-14-2009, 08:13 PM
One cup in the morning that I refill when it gets to the halfway point, with half 'n half; then tea when I get into work - right now I'm into blueberry leaf with lemon - and then water the rest of the day.

BardSkye
10-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Gevalia's Swedish Roast was a wonderful blend, when they still sold to Canadians. Sadly it's been many years since I could get it.

Coffee: 3-4 cups while I'm out and about usually, as Timmy's is the only fast-food place with decent tea. At home I drink strong tea, usually Tetley or Scotch Breakfast at a rate of about 1 cup an hour. No problems with it keeping me awake. It's an all-purpose drink. I use it to wake up, to get to sleep, to warm up, to cool down...

My mother started me on tea literally in the bottle. She'd put a couple of teaspoons of tea in the baby bottle and fill it with milk for both her kids. Didn't start with coffee until I was about 8-9, and then it was wonderful perked stuff my grandmother made.

Speaking of which, my tea has been steeping for about 10 minutes. Time to get a cuppa.

Tink
10-15-2009, 01:36 AM
I drink about 6 to 8 cups of good ole' fashion Folgers Country Roast (medium blend). I don't like anything in it, no frills for me...
I usually only drink coffee in the early a.m. If I drink coffee into the mid-morning and lunch times I completely forget to eat and wind up with a huge hunger headache around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

DragonHeart
10-30-2009, 06:19 PM
One cup first thing in the morning is usually all I need. If I'm having a bad day I bring another to work with me. If I go for a third cup, someone's going to die...

I did stop drinking coffee for awhile but now that winter's coming I'd rather have something warm to drink in the mornings. That and when I get stressed out (doesn't happen often), it's kind of like my comfort food, only liquid.

That said, caffeine doesn't really have any effect on me at all. I've been known to drink my morning coffee and go back to bed, heh. I got into the habit early so it's really hard to break. Had my first coffee in kindergarten. >.> Then I started making it for my mom every morning as soon as I was tall enough to reach the coffeemaker on the counter.

I'm just glad I've never felt the need to increase my coffee intake, otherwise I probably would be up to some crazy amount like 5 pots or something.

Satori1977
10-30-2009, 07:41 PM
I have cut down to one or two. When I was working nights I would have about 6. Is not good on the stomach, I wouldn't recommend it.

tjwriter
10-30-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm debating whether or not to make another pot. It's rainy and yuck here today, making coffee sound all the more appealing.

DWSTXS
10-30-2009, 11:09 PM
If I drink hot coffee, I'll have 2 cups.

If I'm not in the mood for hot coffee, I'll have one of those cold coffee frappacino's (in the glass bottle) from Starbucks, but not FROM Starbucks. I buy them at 7-11.

My mom, is 75, and NEVER drank coffee, hot or cold, has suddenly developed an incredible addiction for the cold Starbucks frappacino's in the bottle. She drinks 8-12 of them a DAY, and yet, seems to have no problem whining about being unable to sleep at night.
I tell her every time I see her to stop drinking them. She won't listen.

In her pantry there are probably 30-40 4-packs of those things, and then in the utility room, there is another 40-50 more 4-packs. They're stacked up the walls. At $8 a pop, I figure she has close to $1000 in starbucks coffee laying around.

tjwriter
10-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Good lord, that's a lot of nasty cold coffee drinks.

I just can't do cold coffee drinks. Yuck!

Dicentra P
10-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Define cup. 24 oz cup at home, 24 oz on the train 3-4 mugs during the day. If the husband buys me another 20 oz in the evening I'll drink it.

Shadow_Ferret
10-30-2009, 11:36 PM
I'll usually have 2, sometimes more, up to four, but NEVER 2 dozen. Man, my stomach would have a hole in it the size of a fist! I'd be popping antacids all day long!

DWSTXS
10-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Okay, now I'm going to try to throw a monkey-wrench into the works here, reagrding the heart problems and coffee. Because, about 8 or 9 years ago, my father-in-law had a heart operation. (he has since passed away, but it was not heart-related)

I go with the wife to the hospital to visit him, on the morning after the day of the surgery. He's laying there in the hospital bed and he asked the doc if it was okay to have coffee, and they gave it to him, and it was not decaf. I was shocked. So, what's the deal with that?

Rose English
10-31-2009, 06:22 AM
Mmm, makes me want coffee (bad idea after 10pm).

I love fresh coffee when I have it in a restaurant/Panera/Starbucks, but I just can't brew it at home. I have no idea what I do wrong. It smells good but tastes bitter (despite sugar) and thin.

So I make instant at home, and I have about four mugs in the morning. I'd say the first two are necessary for me to function. That's not good, is it?