PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about publishing rights...

James81
10-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Specifically, I'm interested in what the "official" stance is on republishing content from your blog into book form is.

I mean, I know that whenever you publish a blog, that that's considered "first publication" rights (or something to that affect anyway), but is it taboo/impossible to, say, group a bunch of blog posts together and get it published? Officially, I mean, not self-publish.

Anybody know of any cases where a blogger repackaged their content and caught the eye of a publisher than wanted to publish their book?

(Heh, I sure am using the word "publish" a lot, aren't I? :tongue)

Bubastes
10-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Two blogs that became books: The Julie/Julia Project by Julie Powell and Greek Tragedy by Stephanie Klein.

katiemac
10-13-2009, 11:32 PM
As Bubastes said, Julia Powell is probably the most famous example where the blogger herself is important to the content. Not just book deal, but a movie deal, too.

But then there are others--like PostSecret or Stuff White People Like--that also deal with user-generated and/or non-biographical content.

James81
10-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Hmmm, so those two people took content directly from their blog and turned it into a book?

willietheshakes
10-15-2009, 12:07 AM
As have Belle du Jour and John Scalzi...

aadams73
10-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Isn't that what the Waiter Rant (http://waiterrant.net/) guy did? I haven't read his book, but I do read his blog and the impression I got was that much of his blog content made it into his book.