Totally gross food - beat this.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
What absolutely disgusting food do your friends and family consume? You know, the kind of stuff that just makes you puke. My list is pretty extensive.

- My 4.5 year old likes peanut butter and cream cheese sandwiches.
- My 1.5 year old likes cod liver, and he drinks up the cod liver oil from the tin once he is done.
- My husband drinks pickle juice out of the pickle jar once all the pickles are gone. He also puts anchovies and capers on EVERYTHING.
- My grandparents pickle watermelon. They also boil cows tongue, and eat it straight up. Ugh.
- My mom makes this gelatinized chicken soup called "holodets," which is probably the most foul thing I've ever seen. (http://www.humble-traveler.com/images/holodets.jpg)
- My best friend purees boiled okra and spreads it on crackers.

The people in my life are so gross when it comes to food. I feel ill just writing this list. Can you beat it?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My mom loved scrapple and oxtail soup. Growing up during the Depression did odd things to people's tastes, I suspect.

Maryn, knowing this will be topped

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
A Filipina friend of mine eats baluts.

A balut is a fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as streetfood.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score

A balut is a fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as streetfood.

Yep. That's pretty gross.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your people are. So. Wierd.

My mom ate p-butter and mustard or mayo sandwiches.

MIL- jelly and bologna sandwiches sometimes with cheese.

I like dry roasted p-nuts in my salad. My kids get grossed out.

I also like cottage cheese with green salsa on corn chips. Or Dorito's with cottage cheese.

I had a girl friend who liked p-butter and bacon sandwiches with onions.

My old stepdad liked Speghetti O's and baked beans poured over Frito's. I tried it, it was pretty good.

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Ever hear of black pudding over there? It's basically whatever extra bits you can scrape from a dead pig and shove into a sausage skin.

Lovely, ain't it? ;)

Black+Pudding.jpg

It's honestly a lot better than it sounds. :)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The worst thing I've ever seen eaten is when a friend was pregnant. She'd get a Big Mac and stick it in the freezer until it was cool and the sauces and fat had started to congeal--THEN she ate it happily.

Ewwww.

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing in this world is more disgusting than casu marzu cheese.

Behold: http://www.boingboing.net/2009/01/15/maggot-cheese-that-t.html

How did I know that was going to be maggot cheese?

And why did I click the link anyway?

Anyway, gross things my family consume would probably be natto. They assure me it's perfectly delicious and the sticky texture is simply a delight, but I will never in my life put anything that smells like that inside my mouth.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The worst thing I've ever seen eaten is when a friend was pregnant. She'd get a Big Mac and stick it in the freezer until it was cool and the sauces and fat had started to congeal--THEN she ate it happily.

Ewwww.

I was waiting for the part where you were going to say you ate the placenta.

i'll move on though.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
And why did I click the link anyway?

Anyway, gross things my family consume would probably be natto. They assure me it's perfectly delicious and the sticky texture is simply a delight, but I will never in my life put anything that smells like that inside my mouth.

Because you're a glutton for punishment. :D

I won't touch natto either. If I don't like the smell of a food, no way in hell am I going to eat it. I shun all nasty foods including all offal.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
How did I know that was going to be maggot cheese?

You knew more than I. Soon as I clicked the link and read the title, I closed it before the picture loaded ... thank goodness. I love cheese ... maggots, not so much.

I can't come close to topping any of these. Just the thought of some of them got the old gagging reflex going.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, until I read this thread I thought my MIL's pineapple+ mayonnaise+ canned peas+ chopped onions + shredded cheddar + cherry jello salad was the most disgusting thing I'd ever seen, but maggot cheese beats anything I got.

*puke*

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

My son so wants to try that! He and his best friend became friends when my son found out he was Filipino and the first thing he asked was 'Have you eaten balut, what does it taste like?'

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
A Singaporean friend of mine insisted I eat bird's nest soup with her one New Year's Eve---"it's a delicacy". Yes, where "delicacy"="horror the consistency of half melted Jello tasting like the unholy union of sugar water and feet."

I'll also wager that none of you chicken fetus dilettantes has eaten lutefisk, which is really the mack daddy of gross food.