2 POV query?

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone- I've written a 2 POV story and I'm struggling with the query. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm trying to focus on the main conflict that binds the two views to each other, but each person has their own, unique set of flaws and problems on their own. So it's getting muttled the more I try to write it out. It's not ready for posting in SYW. Anyone have any advice on this? Please?!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Focus on the main plot and how the two characters feature in them. It's written in omniscient, so you shouldn't worry about the POVs, but instead look at the two characters and see how they fit into the main story/conflict/plot.

As an exercise, pick a movie or something with two POVs (romantic comedies, love stories are great start) and see if you can write a short synopsis of what the story is about.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone- I've written a 2 POV story and I'm struggling with the query. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm trying to focus on the main conflict that binds the two views to each other, but each person has their own, unique set of flaws and problems on their own. So it's getting muttled the more I try to write it out. It's not ready for posting in SYW. Anyone have any advice on this? Please?!

I suggest you try writing it focusing on only one character. It's possible to write a query with two characters as a focus, but since you're having trouble, try with one. You only have so many words.

Once you pick your character to focus, rewrite the query with these questions in mind, making sure you answer them in the draft:
1. What does your character want?
2. What does s/he have to do to get it?
3. What is going to happen if s/he fails to get what she wants?

Even if you still decide to go with two, use the questions above. They will help you narrow on the conflict and highlight the stakes.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Actually I'd suggest you look at successful romance queries and / or blurbs to see how they do it - they are very often done from two POV's and might help you see how it all fits together

Mine was something like this:

First para - POV 1 and the overall probelm and how it relates to him, the stakes etc. How POV 2 makes this problem worse

Second para - POV 2 and how she relates to the overall problem and how that interacts with POV1

Tie up - how the two POVs take on the 'when the poop hits the fan' moment and the ultimate stakes

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Presumably the 2 POV's are connected?

Explain the plot and maybe mention a subplot.

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
My book currently seeking agent is from 3 POVs. I left one of the MCs out of the query completely. I still haven't passed query hell, but here's what I sent the agent who's had it (no response yet) for the last 3.5 months...

Blah blah blah

In Spinning Coins, POLLY and JOY have nothing in common, until a magic coin transports them to a rainy beach in Denmark. They can’t find the coin, their cell phones don’t work, and a storm is brewing. When they get to a nearby convent they realize that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, the two guys helping them, are not escapees from a Renaissance Faire. It seems Polly and Joy have traveled to an alternate-reality 1526.

Joy, an uber-sweet conservative Christian, knows that God is in control, while Polly, an atheist, is determined to be in charge of her own destiny. Despite these opposing world views, the girls must work together to find a way home -- or accept that this is their new reality. Just when it seems possible that there may be a chance at the future after all, a couple of sixteenth century guys make the girls question if they even want to go home. And an evil priest and a mob of rabble-rousing Lutherans might make it impossible.

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I walk away from the computer for a few hours and lookie at all the responses! Horray! So excited for that. Katie, those questions were how I started the query- and yes, to say I'm having troubles is the understatement of the year. I had no problem re-writing the book into the 2 POV to make it more marketable, but now the query is tripping me up. I could write it from one MC, but overall I think it will lack something if I do! I like the idea that Idiotsrus has about making each of the paragraphs from the different POV and then tying them together. That's what I'm going to shoot for. I'll be posting my attempts in SYW for all to tear it apart. :) Re-writes to follow.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Egoodlett posted a very nice two-person query in SYW the other day. It just goes to show that "breaking the rules" is sometimes the better thing to do, but it also takes a great premise to make it work. Whenever you're ready to post, we'll be around to help.