Lying...I mean marketing...

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
This is taken straight from the back of a dvd I recently received at work:

The hugely anticipated release which stunned the world and smashed the box office is now finally available on dvd.

This caught my eye because I'd never heard of the film. Nor had anyone I work with. I did a spot of Googling and while the film has some degree of fame, it's not quite as the text on the back would suggest. The film had a budget of $20 million. It grossed less than $4 million.

Am I missing something or is the supposed selling point utter bollocks? And whoever guesses the name of the film wins a prize.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Synecdoche, New York.

;-)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm calling one of the lawyers who advertises on TV and suing to get my damn prize!

There's one local lawyer whose TV commercials make it seem like getting hit by a huge truck is the next best thing to winning the lottery.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I Googled your quote and if it's the movie I pulled up (Synechdoche, New York), then it does seem to be over-the-top. It was a hugely anticipated release, though, maybe not the DVD but the film itself. It won a slew of independent awards, played all over the world at a bunch of film festivals, for the example, and has a highly-respected director at its helm.

I wonder just exactly to what box office they're referring to, though--could be any number of those film festivals. ;) 'Smash' is all relative when you have a limited indie release.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I wonder just exactly to what box office they're referring to, though--could be any number of those film festivals. ;) 'Smash' is all relative when you have a limited indie release.

The box office in Pretend Land? :tongue