Agent/Publisher Question

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
If I have been offered representation by an agent, and signed, and had a publisher offer a contract before the agent came along, if I decide to go with the publisher, where does that leave the agent?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Well, that sort of depends. As it stands right now, if you signed with the agent after the publishing deal was signed, then you don't owe the agent anything. Make sure that you have an addendum to your Agency agreement that excludes this particular deal.

HOWEVER --- If the publisher has only made an OFFER, and you've since signed an agent, I would strongly suggest that you consider allowing the agent to negotiate the offer from the publisher. Yes, you'll have to pay a commission when you otherwise wouldn't have had to, but you'll probably be getting a better deal, since that's what an agent is for.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Cathy C said:
Well, that sort of depends. As it stands right now, if you signed with the agent after the publishing deal was signed, then you don't owe the agent anything. Make sure that you have an addendum to your Agency agreement that excludes this particular deal.

HOWEVER --- If the publisher has only made an OFFER, and you've since signed an agent, I would strongly suggest that you consider allowing the agent to negotiate the offer from the publisher. Yes, you'll have to pay a commission when you otherwise wouldn't have had to, but you'll probably be getting a better deal, since that's what an agent is for.

Thanks Cathy, that is exactly what I thought, but I obviously wanted to check with experts first.