PDA

View Full Version : Diary Doodah?

Misa Buckley
10-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Arg! Blasted submission dates!

I've got overwhelmed with my subs for short stories and just realised that I have one due in on Wednesday!

Is there a (preferably free) program for idiots people like me to keep abreast on what they're writing, when it's due and where to?

Please don't suggest a paper diary, because I'd only lose it.

*goes to cry in a corner*

kct webber
10-12-2009, 04:55 AM
Um... a calender?

Medievalist
10-12-2009, 04:59 AM
Google Calendar (http://www.google.com/intl/en/googlecalendar/about.html); it's free.

Have it email you reminders.

Phaeal
10-12-2009, 06:20 PM
The online calendar with reminders will probably work for you.

I just keep a works and submissions log in MS Word and update it religiously. It has a page for each of my short stories and novels and poems. Each page has basic info: title, type, word count (pg. count), stage (draft #, complete and on sub, complete and published, etc.), and a short synopsis. It also lists all the agents, editors or markets to which the piece has been subbed or is on sub, results of the subs, and publication data. And it has a NOTES section, in which I put reminders, like "Sub to XXX in Jan" or "Check with Editor X on Jun 1 if no response before."

But if you don't check such a list for reminders, you won't be reminded, and that auto remind feature will be critical for you.

Jamesaritchie
10-12-2009, 08:04 PM
How about Sonar? http://www.spacejock.com/Sonar3.html

Misa Buckley
10-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks, James. I have Sonar and it's great for tracking submissions once there in, but I've not found a way to make it list when they're due in (though this might be because I've only just downloaded it).

I was given the link to an assignment tracker that does the job I wanted.

Jamesaritchie
10-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks, James. I have Sonar and it's great for tracking submissions once there in, but I've not found a way to make it list when they're due in (though this might be because I've only just downloaded it).

I was given the link to an assignment tracker that does the job I wanted.

Yes, I see your point. I use MS Outllook for such tracking. It works great, but it's hardly free.

kaitie
10-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Isn't there a way to set up alerts via Windows as well? I've been thinking about doing something similar once I start sending out submissions, I just am not sure how to do it. I'm also lazy and haven't bothered to check yet. :tongue

Aha, super easy. Windows Calendar. ;) On Vista anyway.

dnic
10-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Google desktop for the calender and, for the obsessive people like me, to-do list. Calender alone isn't enough for me. Sometimes it helps to actually have a list where I can check things off. :)