Here's a novel thought, how's your writing going?

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Is this a bragging thread? You bet your cheesy ass it is.

After much trials and tribulations, I put down nearly 15,000 words this last week.

Hows your WIP goin?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I've still lost my ending by changing things, but the middle is nice and complex and fun to do :) I'm at another brainstorming point that makes me have to whittle down ideas, and I love that! And I hate it :D

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This week? Not so good. This is my labor intensive work my ass off as Nurse Rached week. Only managed to get about 2k in on WIP. Next week though....oh, next week.

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
Sloooooowly.

The set-up is killing me, but it needs to be done (even if it all gets edited out later).

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I've got to turn off my internal editor and just keep writing. Today's goal is to finish a chapter and start the next -- after I read the Sunday paper. :tongue

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Btw, I try my darndest not to look at word counts for myself. I love those tickers people have in their sigs, but I can get a tad OCD about anything statistical. I write in software that lets me chunk things into chapters or scenes, and I write out of order on the 1st draft.

I figure I'll look at the total when I feel close to finished. And I'm not, by a long shot :D

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Mine's going quite nicely...I took today off to go out with my husband, but tomorrow, back to the grind. The Devil You Know is sitting just above 20K, so I expect to have it done (75K or so) in a week or so. Characters are totally taking over, which kicks ass. And a couple of scenes have caused scarletpeaches to require a cold shower, so I think I'm on the right track with this one.

Also hit 800,000 in my pursuit of 1,000,000. 2.5 months, 200,000 to go. I'm going to make that million mah bitch.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I've got to turn off my internal editor and just keep writing. Today's goal is to finish a chapter and start the next -- after I read the Sunday paper. :tongue
This is me! I started a new book last week and plopped down 3K in one day and then slooowwweeeddd to a grinding halt- the last chapter was pivitole nd I know its lacking in tension, but I have to tell myself to just keep going and come back later to add and edit- for me the key is to just keep putting the words down-

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bleugh. My love interest holds no interest. He keeps coming across as a wimp. Maybe I should have him hit something...

*has crisis of confidence*

*worries she's not doing the crisis properly*

*confidence plummets to all time low*

NO! NO! Forget crisis! Keep writing! Maybe wimpy love interest will shock everyone by kicking some competitor's arse or something. Just keep writing. You can always juice things up on the editing round if need be. (When my male character's start coming off cheesy or wimpy, I watch Fight Club. It gets me all riled up and POOF....testosterone.)

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
It's in the planning stages, and it's getting a little too comfy there. Maybe getting the first few scenes written will knock it up a notch.

BAM!

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Here's a novel thought, how's your writing going?

Swimmingly, thanks for asking. Here's the thing: it's not a novel, and I can't swim.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Oh I'll keep writing. I can't not. Maybe I'll try an exercise - 4 pages, first person, him telling me about himself

Or maybe she could end up with the other guy, who's rather tasty - but he does kidnap her so it'd be a bit *squick* to have her fall for him. But then again...

*has tea and ciggie while pondering*

*feels a bit better now ideas are flowing*

Thanks!

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Tasty kidnappers? Maybe I should be writing a novel.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tasty kidnappers? Maybe I should be writing a novel.

Damn it! I thought I was quoting you before you fixed the typos. Awwww....I heart you Wayne. Even if you do drink and type. :)

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
On another editing round, so pretty good. Only thing left is to rewrite the last chapter.....which I've been putting off for quite a while.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I totally went off of my outline. Which is a good thing. I got a lot accomplished and are introducing several good characters that will add more depth to my book. I had to take a step back to really figure out how to develop one. So, abruptly after 10 pages of progress - I freeze up. Sometimes this lasts days for me. (sigh) I am supposed to have this finished by Dec. 09. If I keep having these diversions I may not meet that timeframe.

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
Or maybe she could end up with the other guy, who's rather tasty - but he does kidnap her so it'd be a bit *squick* to have her fall for him. But then again...

Stockholm syndrome :D

Um... I'm rewriting the only chapter I have so far (so much for not editing until it was written) but there was so much fluff!

What was I thinking? Blimey, I might as well have typed it in purple! *dies of embarrassment*

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hows your WIP goin?
It's nudging along.

Been sidetracked by short stories and query letters and editing drafts of previous novels for the last couple weeks, but (apart from some editing) those're pretty much all outta the way now.

Plus, this WIP is missing something. I haven't quite figured out what it is yet, but it's definitely missing something. I think it might need more cowbell.

Or possibly explosions.

Exploding cows?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I've been once again rewriting my first three chapters. This, after some posts in SYW plus one in the Novels forum where I complained that nobody seemed to like my first chapter no matter what I did. After some suggestions, I've changed things up a bit to create a new chapter 1. Of course, those changes require changes to be made in the subsequent chapters, so it's a busy time.

Plus, I've come up with an idea for another book, a nonfiction one, that I'm going to start putting a proposal together for this week.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Seller (see below) goes well at some points and slow at others - I'm at a point at which I've had to map out the rest of part two and I think I achieved that over the weekend so I'll be ready to get writing next weekend. I'm working on a very loose outline, which is the only way I can do this - I can't have a lot of structure or, for me at least, it ruins the creative process. With luck I'll be pitching by next September.

Beast, also below, is slowly being whittled down. I haven't had too much time for that, what with Seller and a full time job and cleaning the house and fall gardening ... and eating and sleeping and breathing.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's going quite nicely...I took today off to go out with my husband, but tomorrow, back to the grind. The Devil You Know is sitting just above 20K, so I expect to have it done (75K or so) in a week or so. Characters are totally taking over, which kicks ass. And a couple of scenes have caused scarletpeaches to require a cold shower, so I think I'm on the right track with this one.

Also hit 800,000 in my pursuit of 1,000,000. 2.5 months, 200,000 to go. I'm going to make that million mah bitch.

I have no idea how you find the time to write that much.