squash soup?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any one have a good recipe for soup made from hard winter squash? A couple of years ago I had some in a restaurant. I took one little bite and told the hubby, it's like pumpkin pie with a kick. It was thick, but not creamy. I think they probably roasted the squash till soft and then pureed it, but I don't know for sure. Any ideas?

MM

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Mine tends toward the savory, not the sweet.

I usually take out the seeds and strings, bake the squash until soft and scoop out the innards, chop it up. Then I put it in a fry pan where I've been cooking some onion in butter (or olive oil) until it's brown. Throw in some curry powder or a mix of cumin, tumeric, coriander, fresh chopped ginger, a little garlic and a pinch of hot pepper. I cook this for just a couple of minutes, stirring a lot.

I add a little chicken broth (or onion broth if it's veggy) and simmer it for about 30 minutes.

I let it cool and then run it through a blender or food processor, then return it to the pot. If it needs to be thinner, I add more broth.

I like to let mine cool and sit in the fridge for a day for the flavors to meld. Then I heat it again and add sour cream or fresh cream. Or, I serve it cold, with sour or fresh cream.

If ytou want a sweeter version, get a sweet squash, and do the soup process, but leave out the corriander seed, tumeric and hot pepper, onion and garlic and instead use cumin ( a pinch), ginger, and either brown sugar or honey.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I'm making one right now, but with canned pumpkin. I had to open a can to make pumpkin scones and I'm using the leftover puree in the soup.

Serves one or 2

1/2 onion diced tiny
2 carrots diced tiny
1/2 red pepper diced tiny
2 cloves of garlic diced tiny (knew that was coming didn'tya)
oregano
chili powder
cumin
salt and pepper
pumpkin puree (one small can minus the one cup that I need for scones)
stock, maybe 2 cups or so?
water (maybe, dunno, looks a little thick at the moment)

Warm olive oil and butter in a pot over medium heat
Add and sautee onion for a bit
Add spices and stir often
Add the rest of the veg
Turn to medium low and let sweat until all is tender
Add pumpkin puree and let sweat a bit
Pour in stock
Simmer

I don't have a food processor or blender so I chopped the veg tiny and used the canned puree. I kinda wing it with spices most of the time but I'd guess it was around 1/2 tsp of each. I used chicken stock but it would probably work with veg or water.

I also plan on adding chopped fresh cilantro and maybe a bit of cream at the end. I haven't decided if cream is a good idea or not but I see that Stephanie uses it so I might give it a shot. I mean, cream makes everything better, right?

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both. I'll try some this weekend. Unless we hit 95 degrees again, like they are predicting. Stephanie--send me some of your snow. I'm ready for summer to be over and make soups and stews and chili and and and. You get the idea.

MM

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
As long as we're on the topic -- does anyone know of a recipe for butternut squash and lentils soup?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Winter squash is easiest to deal with if you bake it whole until the flesh is starting to soften (usually a 3 pound squash or so will take 45 minutes at 350F). By not cutting it before hand you also preserve the natural sugars and liquid for a sweeter, softer texture.

When it is cool enough to handle, slice in half, scoop out the seeds. Peel it and cube it.

Prepare your favorite split pea soup recipe but omit the peas and instead use 1/2 volume of lentils that you would have used peas. When the lentils are soft add the squash and simmer until everything is the texture you want. If you prefer it creamy, take a hand blender to it, but I like chunky. Right before serving, renove from heat and stir in about a half cup of sour cream.

Garnish with toasted squash seeds from above.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
As long as we're on the topic -- does anyone know of a recipe for butternut squash and lentils soup?

Yes!

1 Med Butternut squash
1 sm Acorn squash
1 sm onion
2 stalks celery
2 carrots
1 can chickpeas
2 cups soaked lentils
1 cup wild rice (cooked)
1 cup brown rice (cooked)
fresh rosemary, bay, sage & parsley
1 tsp thyme (dry)
1 T turmeric
salt (to taste)
curry pwdr (opt)
4-8 cupts vegetable broth

Cut squash lengthwise (scrape out seeds, etc.) and place cut side down on cookie sheet. Roast at 375 for 45 minutes (or until tender). Let cool and scrape into bowl. Meanwhile, in large pot saute cut up onion, celery and carrot in a few tsp olive oil until onion is clear. In small batches, puree squash and vegetable broth in a FP and add to the pot. Add lentils and bring to a boil. Add 2-3 bay leaves, leaves of 1-2 stalks rosemary, 4-5 sage leaves, approx 1/4 c finely chopped parsley, thyme, turmeric, and curry (if using). Allow to simmer approx 2 hours. Approx 1 hour before serving add rice and garbanzo beans.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Both options sound good.

JD

JGKelly

Banned
Reaction score
Butternut/acorn squash soup:

In oo, saute' a good sized vidalia onion, five to six good cloves of garlic. When garlic has turned light golden, add 3/4" chunks of medium butternut and acorn squash.

Cover and let simmer on medium/light heat until squash is soft. No need to add broth until you see how much water the squash give off, because they'll render plenty.

Once the squash is really soft, add enough chicken/veggie broth to make it the lighter consistency of soup. Season with s&p...and nutmeg...plus a touch of chili and a dribble of maple syrup.

Add some half and half, taste, let cool.

Cuisinart in batches. Serve with dollop of butter and fresh ground pepper.

Voila.