Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I want eggplant

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, is it odd to enjoy jokes that are older than I am?
I wrote a chapter, and then played Supreme Commander while listening/watching a few episodes of Red Skelton, some people I know think that's weird.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My dad loved that guy.

My brother and I would beg not to have to watch the old TV show, but it was the one thing my dad insisted on watching. No debate was allowed.

I haven't thought of Red in a very long time. Thanks for the memories.

Last edited:

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Can't say that I've watched the show recently, but it was a family favorite when I was a kid. Seems like he got to laughing more than his audience some times. I loved the hobo routines.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I loved him. His humor was based on imagination (like the seagulls, Gertrude and Heathcliff???). Classy.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to love him when I was a little kid. That doesn't mean I'd still like him though. Hard to say. It's been so long. I'll have to look some of his stuff up again. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm related to that guy, though I don't know much about him.
Really? That's very cool.

Not sure if you know, but he was quite an artist (painting) in his own right. Lots of clown portraits, and there's a place nearby that used to sell his paintings.

From what I remember, much of his comedy was "serious," where you might laugh yet scratch your head at the same time while trying to figure out the deeper meaning of his humor.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I've got a video. Eat your hearts out.

It's got the bacon routine...

ETA: Saw him once in person as a kid. He was fundraising for some charity and was flying from city to city, doing shows right at the airport to get as many in as possible. My mother hauled us off to see him.

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
His humor could reach out and touch your heart. I loved and looked forward to his show. He had a way, that no one since, of getting his point across. And to think....he did it all without dirty words. Oh my.....

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Heh, a lot of the humor I enjoy is older than I am. I don't think that's odd, I just think it's a testament to the quality of the humor. ;)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Comedians were a lot more restrained as far as what they could say back then, so yes, he was funny.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We used to watch his show. I liked him a lot.

I think he used to end every show saying, "Goodnight and may God bless."

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some of RS's humor was reflective of the times but some was timeless. His sense of comedic timing and use of non-verbal communication (such as body language) was masterful. In particular, he portrayed several very different personalities, and for each one, not only was the dialogue delivery unique, so were his mannerisms, down to the very subtle aspects of his physical being. In my mind, he helped write the book on comedic technique for the visual arts. Any actor who wants to accept roles in comedy-based film, television, or stage plays should go back and study RS's work for his mastery of the basic techniques of comedic acting. Many still form the basis of effective humorous projection.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Really? That's very cool.

Not sure if you know, but he was quite an artist (painting) in his own right. Lots of clown portraits, and there's a place nearby that used to sell his paintings.

From what I remember, much of his comedy was "serious," where you might laugh yet scratch your head at the same time while trying to figure out the deeper meaning of his humor.
My grandmother and my aunt are very into family history, and I know that grandmother has about every video ever put out.

Actually, now I feel bad because I don't know more...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
He was awesome. The one I really miss, though, is Carol Burnette. She was fantastic.

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
Normally, I wouldn't touch this poll with a ten foot pole, but ... Red Skelton was such a naughty little boy.

I don't watch TV much, so I'll ask: Do any modern comedians make you think afterwords?

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Normally, I wouldn't touch this poll with a ten foot pole, but ... Red Skelton was such a naughty little boy.

I don't watch TV much, so I'll ask: Do any modern comedians make you think afterwords?

Not to derail too much from Red, but to answer your question, Jon Stewart makes me think. I also go for the Monty Python brand of humor. Not sure I would say it makes me think. It's just funny.

Meh...when I tune into humor, it's more about the belly laugh for me.

/derail over ;) (for my part, anyway)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Carol looks abnormally young for her age, could just be the dye.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I agree on RS' mastery of basic technique, I always found his body langauge very impressive, both in the actual show, and the little skits he did on stage just before the show.