Am I the only one....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who misses the N64? Man....that console was the best. And it had the best games. Donky Kong 64, Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie (great game....man I miss that one the most), Harvest Moon 64 (correction, I miss THAT one the most). Such great games.... :(

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
The N64 was definitely a fun console. Goldeneye is still one of my favourite games of all time. :)

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I still have mine stored in my closet close at hand just in case I ever get the hankering to play it. I think one of the wires is shorting out, though, because sometimes it will sporadically restart. It saddens my heart.

On the plus side we are getting more and more releases for Wii virtual console of N64 games. I just hope some kind of deal gets worked out with Rareware soon so we can see classics like Banjo-Kazooie and Goldeneye on VC (and Jet Force Gemini, which isn't Rare's most popular game, but I really love it).

I was also a devout Mario Party fan. I don't think any Mario Party game will ever live up to Mario Party 2. Definitely the best one in the series.

Ah, now I'm reminiscing. I logged so many hours into my N64. Good times. Maybe I'll break it out again...

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a Wii and you can get old N64 games on it.....if you have an internet connection which, sadly, I do not. It was a bummer. It was one of the reasons I wanted the Wii so badly.

I wish I still had my N64, but when I wanted the Gamecube my mama made me get rid of it. Which I personally think is stupid but ah well.

Question though....this is gonna sound sooo stupid. But does anyone remember Donky Kong 64? And if you do can you tell me something? How do you beat the dragonfly boss the second time? With the big kong...forgot his name....ah well. I could never beat that boss. And I had the guidebook too.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
All consoles are secondary to the True Faith, the PC. Anyone who disagrees will be sent to the correctional facilities for a mental evaluation and reassessment.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
All consoles are secondary to the True Faith, the PC. Anyone who disagrees will be sent to the correctional facilities for a mental evaluation and reassessment.

This is entirely true. Still, the N64 was cool. ;)

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
It had some good games, but it also marked the end of Nintendo's strength with third party devs. They're very successful now, so it didn't hurt them. But they'd be even better off had they not let key devs like Squaresoft, Enix, and others get away from them. They had those devs wrapped up beforehand. Non Nintendo only cares about their first party titles and everyone else takes second fiddle. They sell a lot of consoles but aren't getting that key attach rate others companies get.

This all started with the N64.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score

Understandable. But I was weened on NES, so consoles will always be closer to my heart than PCs.

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
I play my N64 rather often. The SNES was better, IMHO, because of all the amazing RPGs. N64 had terrible RPGs, if you can even call them that. However, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and Harvest Moon are absolutely amazing. Even better than those is Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
Zelda: Ocarina of Time was amazing. I loved fishing. But I could never beat Majora's Mask. That game was beyond me. I could never find the right song or whatever. And does anyone besides me adore the Harvest Moon games?

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they are, when they actually work. And lots of the games that have come out for them recently suck. It's pretty depressing.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they are, when they actually work. And lots of the games that have come out for them recently suck. It's pretty depressing.

Most (but still not all) console games are ported to the PC these days, so the range of games has increased from the mid-nineties. You can even get classic games for free if you hunt around in the right paces. ...Though I still haven't found a version of Chuckie Egg that doesn't suck ass. Or a decent emulation of Hopper which doesn't have lots of needless visual tics.

I'm a pack-rat, so I still have all my old Windows95 CDs. :D MechWarrior has lots of problems with rendering despite lots of patches being available, and some emulators aren't exactly stable for anything pre-1992. LucasArts have some of their old games free for PC download, if you want to relive their classic titles.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score

Well, fortunately, every console has this problem and has had this problem and will continue to have this problem.

Its called the River of Shit With Gemstones In It phenomenon. Everything now a days seems crappy, because we're getting all the good stuff mixed in with the mountains of bad stuff. The stuff that survived the decades between here and now is so good because it survived that long, while the shitty stuff is left forgotten and to be reviewed by sweaty internet video critics.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The stuff that survived the decades between here and now is so good because it survived that long, while the shitty stuff is left forgotten and to be reviewed by sweaty internet video critics.

Can we really separate the shit games from the Triple-A, 100% classics so easily? I remember when Doom was the Greatest Thing Ever, and it still has a lot of entertainment value. I haven't played it in a couple of years, but given that most mobile phones can happily handle the game these days it doesn't seem so special. Time moves on. Old games are pushed to one side as the newer and more complex games take hold.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I pretty much live by video game reviews >.>
They aren't always spot on, but usually pretty close for me.

On another note, I was listening to Enya's 'We are free now' at the exact same time it started playing at the end of 'Gladiator,' I was close to freaking out.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who misses the N64? Man....that console was the best. And it had the best games. Donky Kong 64, Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie (great game....man I miss that one the most), Harvest Moon 64 (correction, I miss THAT one the most). Such great games.... :(

No, I don't miss it. Because I still have one :)

I love N64, I think it was one of the most memorable and well-rounded systems ever to come out. I've pretty much hated every Nintendo system to come out since, including stupid ass Wii (which I've played and, to me, I don't like the games enough to say it's much more than a novelty.)

N64 did have goldeneye, which continues to have a real replay value, Wave Race, Mario Kart, Banjo Kazooie, several of the Mario Parties (to me and my friends, Mario Drinking Party), and who could forget Shadows of the Empire? What a game. Christ.

There are emulators available but it's hard to forget that unambiguously sexually shaped controller with the trigger and thumb stick. And teh c buttons of course. The most important of all the buttons.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, I'd still hold Doom up as a stellar example of excellence in sound design.

This reminds me, Doom 64 was my favorite of the entire Doom franchise. the first series was of course good, but while I liked 3, I truly did, 64 is unforgetable in a lot of ways. The sound track, the scenery, the real evil of it all. Another 64 goodie, also proving 64 isn't just for the little kiddies.

Miyaka

Astrid
Registered
Reaction score
I have been playing video games since I was five ( I'm 36 now ack!) but from all the different systems that have been out there and I have usually had at least 3 at any given time I think my favorite was SNES. There were so many RPGS. Second runner up was PSX 1&2. I love the reverse compatible technology that Sony did.

I loved Nintendo and bought the n64 system on a promise that my all time favorite anime was going to be made in to a game for the N64 . Robotech. But alas it never happened. I am still bummed.

Later I actually went to work for Sega in Redwood city worked my way up from from Technical support to 900 Sega Sensei to Tip Writer then on to Quality Control but I have to say that my love affair with games is sad to say waning.

For years now I have seen a steady decline in story ( mind you my primary interest in games were the RPGS) and more of a focus on graphics and as much female flesh and mindless violence as they could get away with.

Sure my buddies and I would all network Quake at work and play because it was now better them Doom or Wolfenstein but that gets old really fast.

A new breed of gamers has emerged in these last 7,8 years or so when Microsoft got in to the game . They are called adults and with them adult type games. I guess I will never consider myself an adult maybe that is why I feel a sorta of wistful loss when I play my old games, but I am ever hopeful.

I just realize I was rambling like my Dad. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.