Anyone ever seen this show???

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I hope I'm not the only person who has ever seen this show. Sailor Moon? The old anime show they cancelled like forever ago? Man, was it good or what? I liked it. Then again, I was only about 5 or whatever when I would watch it. So, sadly, I don't remember alot of it. So sad...

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I will admit I watched it when I was a kid. Had the little dolls and stuff too. I remember it got kind of weird near the end...and didn't the MC love her enemy (the Tuxedo guy or whatever his name was).

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I have never heard of this show. lol

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure she did.....but it's been a long time since I've seen it so yeah. I wish they would play it again....I loved when they would do they whole changing thing.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Saw the first two series of Sailor Moon, the three movies and the first season of the live action show.

It was my gateway drug into the wonderful world of anime.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't know there was a live action show. I've been meaning to get around to the anime.

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
So they basically did the reverse of what Power Rangers is supposedly doing (going from live action to cartoon).

Yup. Though I think there was a live theatre show somewhere in the middle.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Growing up, my friend's older sister was into anime. We watched lot of Sailor Moon in Japanese, subtitled in English. The American dub is pretty awful in comparison. :)

I liked the manga quite a bit though, still have my copies. I don't think you can find them in bookstores anymore.

ETA: I just checked ebay. You can't get them anymore. The entire Sailor Moon manga goes for $500. Wow.

Last edited:

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
That live action clip...sweet Jesus. Like a more drugged-out version of 'Lazytown.'

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
ah dear god I miss that show! Might have to go and get it now...where would I be able to find that?

Nowhere. I believe the creator of the series is having ownership battles of some sort and no new DVDs have been produced for several years. So basically if you want it on DVD you've got to blow MAJOR moolah on it. Last time I checked the first season Japanese with subtitles was on Amazon used for $200. And that's just the first season. D:

You can, however, watch the entire series on Youtube, both dub and sub (after Sailor Moon SuperS they are all subs though because the series was cancelled in the U.S. after that season). Recently I've been rewatching the whole series and I'm up to about episode 65-ish now, I think.

I LOVE Sailor Moon. I remember watching it on Cartoon Network when I was still in grade school. Even then, I thought it was ridiculous people could recognize the Sailor Scouts/Tuxedo Mask when they looked exactly the same as when they were regular people.

The official subtitled episodes are much better than the dub, the part of me holds the dub close to my heart since it's what I grew up with. I appreciate both.

My favorite scout is probably Venus...or Mercury. Mercury was a nerd. I like that.

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah! I watched it when I was younger and I LOVED it. Man....such a good show. I remember my grandparents once got me a carousel thing for my birthday and it played a song that sounded like the Sailor Moon theme song. I loved it.....until my little sister broke it.....

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE Sailor Moon. I remember watching it on Cartoon Network when I was still in grade school. Even then, I thought it was ridiculous people could recognize the Sailor Scouts/Tuxedo Mask when they looked exactly the same as when they were regular people.

No less ridiculous than no one recognizing Clark Kent as Superman. Which is still pretty ridiculous. ;) The hairstyles were probably more a dead giveaway than Clark ever was, though ...

I actually just dug out my old episodes (S and SuperS, undubbed) out of my closet a couple weeks ago with the intent of getting rid of them. But that makes me kind of sad if you can't get them anywhere else. They're on VHS, though.

meeeeegin

The inside of my ear itches....boo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Nowhere. I believe the creator of the series is having ownership battles of some sort and no new DVDs have been produced for several years. So basically if you want it on DVD you've got to blow MAJOR moolah on it. Last time I checked the first season Japanese with subtitles was on Amazon used for $200. And that's just the first season. D:

You can, however, watch the entire series on Youtube, both dub and sub (after Sailor Moon SuperS they are all subs though because the series was cancelled in the U.S. after that season). Recently I've been rewatching the whole series and I'm up to about episode 65-ish now, I think.

The official subtitled episodes are much better than the dub, the part of me holds the dub close to my heart since it's what I grew up with. I appreciate both.

My favorite scout is probably Venus...or Mercury. Mercury was a nerd. I like that.

I dont have that kind of money...i could just download it...hmmm..food for thought

meeeeegin

The inside of my ear itches....boo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
No less ridiculous than no one recognizing Clark Kent as Superman. Which is still pretty ridiculous. ;) The hairstyles were probably more a dead giveaway than Clark ever was, though ...

You are correct sir...you are correct! I always thought that was funny and got a little upset because someone had to notice that!

yttar

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yttar.blogspot.com
I love Sailor Moon. I used to watch it on TV when I was in 7th grade, and then again when I was in high school (when it was on Cartoon Network). Sometime while I was in college, they released the earlier seasons on DVD, including the North American version and the uncut Japanese version. There are also three movies, and a couple half hour specials. The specials and season 5 (Sailor Stars) weren't released on DVD in North America. I don't know why the specials weren't released, but from what I understand, the manga author didn't like the portrayal of the Sailor Stars in the anime, so she wouldn't let it be released outside of Japan.

The manga was re-released with the English title of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (instead of the original Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon). Sailor V was also re-released.

Some time ago (late 90s maybe), there was a live action Sailor Moon musical called Sera Myu, which I haven't seen.

And around 2001/2 (I think. Either way, it was around the time the manga was re-released.), they made a second live action show called Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, or PGSM for short.

One thing about magical girl shows is that it's assumed that no matter how similar the girl looks when she's transformed, people still aren't supposed to recognize her. Part of it is that when they transform, Sailor Moon and ther others are supposed to become older versions of themselves (which is why the villains never recognize them even though they look exactly the same). Though in PGSM, all the girls' hair changes color when they transform (from their everyday Japanese brown/black to the hair color they had in the anime).

For your viewing pleasure:
North American Dub
Sera Myu Musical
PGSM
PGSM transformations
Why Sailor Stars wasn't released in the US

Yttar

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
You see, I've never heard of the live action Sailor Moon. Just the stuff they used to show on Cartoon Network.

sydney

Registered
Reaction score
Aw I used to watch! Wow Darien/Mamoru was like my HERO haha

MDei

Not a rich author yet, but I'm here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ladydaewrites.blogspot.com
EEEE! I love that show! I remember when I was little I'd watch it everyday after school and then go do my homework. My sisters recently discovered it on youtube. The outer scouts were my favorite! Brings back a lot of good memories.

MDei

Not a rich author yet, but I'm here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ladydaewrites.blogspot.com
Growing up, my friend's older sister was into anime. We watched lot of Sailor Moon in Japanese, subtitled in English. The American dub is pretty awful in comparison. :)

I liked the manga quite a bit though, still have my copies. I don't think you can find them in bookstores anymore.

ETA: I just checked ebay. You can't get them anymore. The entire Sailor Moon manga goes for $500. Wow.

I see them in Barnes and Noble all the time in the graphic novels section.