Spooky or creepy tales... do tell!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Now is my favorite time of year to hear these. Anything you find creepy or strange or spooky.

I have a true tale that always freaks folks out, but I've never told it to a bunch of writers :D I'll tell it by Halloween, I promise. Fiction is perfect, too, of course.

Links to SYW are awesome, or just spill it casually.

But do spill it.

Woooooooooooooo [insert creepy animations here]!!

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I watched my father as he was walking down the street, and then poof, he turned into a bar.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
All my spooky and creepy tales are more like honest show me the way message experiences. :) But for you, they may be quite unbelievable as we are on a different path.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
If he's spoooooky [which he may well be!]

truelyana, I have an interesting relationship with things I know very little about :) I have many different ideas, but in the end, I just decide that I know very little about it! :) :)

I'll give y'all a spooky one, though. From when I was little and the tall trees out near my grandmother's made scary-monster images at night and I'd hide my head as we drove by them :)

I was a little girl, and we were driving back from my grandmother's at night, through a tree-lined road. I was going to sleep in the back seat. The car screeched - literally - to a stop in the middle of the road and I saw the interior lights come on. My parents were out of the car, Dad yelling, "What the hell was that?" My sister beside me was screaming, "What were they? What were they?"

My parents wouldn't tell me what they saw: "It was nothing, sweetheart. Don't be afraid."

My sister says it was 3 people standing or hanging in the middle of the road.

Last edited:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
funny-pictures-horror-movie-cat-dark-scary.jpg

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I've never had anything spooky happen to me, sometimes I wish something freaky would happen so I have a story to tell, but nope. I do enjoy reading/listening to others experiences. This is also the time of year I start watching Ghost Hunters again.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
The longer freaky tale I'll write up nicely before Halloween isn't supernatural at all, btw. Just creepy :D It's about an apartment I rented that had very cheap rent... for a reason, muahaha!

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
well this isn't 'very spooky' but i guess its supernaturalish.

but basically my grandmother told us that one night she had a dream that she was sitting on a train with her grandmother and they were having a conversation. The train was heading to her grandmother's house, when they arrived at the house her grandmother (my great-great grandmother) told her it would be all ok, and disappeared in a white light. My grandmother woke up and that morning heard her grandmother had died.
When i was a kid, we went to Australia to visit my uncles and aunts. My great-grandmother, my mother's grandmother wasn't well when we were leaving. Anyhoo about a week or so into our holiday, my mother had a dream that her grandmother came into the bedroom, sat on the bed and had a chat. At the end of the conversation, she told my mother it would be ok, and light appeared which my mum said made her feel wonderful and happy. Anyhoo, my mum woke up and we went about having our holiday but my mum felt uneasy about the dream so few days later she rang gran (my gran, her mother) and asked was great-gran alright etc. Gran told her she didn't want to ruin her holidays, but that my great-grandmother had died the night my mother had her dream.

So yeah, thats the little bit of real life 'spooky' that i have.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a small child my grandfather was very ill. My mom had taken my brother and me over to his house to visit him. She sent us out to play in the backyard. I was playing and all the sudden I heard three very loud knocks. I looked around but there was nothing around me to cause the knocking sound. It unsettled me and I ran in to tell my mom. She was very sad and when I told her what happened she nodded and told me that happens sometimes when people pass away. My grandfather had died when I heard the knocking.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've witnessed a lot of deaths and been around a lot of people that were on the way out (or in, depending on how you look at it). There does seem to be a lot of similarity in experiences. I've heard many older people talk about getting ready for the train, waiting for the train, etc. when they are confused and actively dying. I have heard at least a dozen dying people tell me that there was a black dog in the room just before they passed. However, I had one patient whose death experience scared the bejeezus out of me.

The gentleman was dying of brain cancer and would have moments of lucidity, but often hallucinated. He was on hospice and had grown very weak. He started screaming in the middle of the night and I went in to check on him. He told me that there were demons all over the room, grabbing at his arms and legs, telling him that it was time to go. He said they had no faces. The man was sobbing and hysterical. I tried to reassure him, but there was no calming him down. He died a couple of hours later.

I called his daughter to tell him he had passed and she said that she was glad he finally died and she shared some grotesque details of the man's life. And yes, they were grotesque. I swear I will never forget the fear in that man's face. I could barely sleep for weeks. I don't know what I think about heaven, but that sure made me think twice about hell.

Last edited:

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well another spooky story has to do with my old university and its pretty well known

The university i'm talking about is the second oldest in Ireland and does look sort of like hogwarts - it used to be (and still is, but very limited) used to train priests, now its mostly used as part of a larger university.

Anyhoo on the old campus (hogwarts part) there is a building which has sealed window, where the room as been sealed off completely - basically an artificial wall was built up and room is now inaccessible. The reason why is that a young man who wasn't emotionally stable committed suicide because he saw a black dog or shadows haunting the bedroom. Basically the campus is right beside an old castle from round 12th century (i think) and the grounds used to be there before university and supposedly there was a black dog haunting the grounds for a time, but no harm came to anyone, until this young man commited suicide in 1842.
Two other students who moved into the room committed suicide as well (slitting their throat with a rasor in the same fashion as the original owner of the room), a third student threw himself through the window to escape something evil that was trying to take him over, he said there were black shadows all over the room and he had the urge to grab the rasor and use it. A priest was called in and spent the night, next morning he was gibberish mess and wouldn't speak of what he saw. After this the room was blocked off and the whole building was turned into a oratory (and is now where you go to register as a student).

Regardless of what may have occurred in the room in reality, there are several documents still extant which point to some very real occurrences that happened in No. 2 sometime between 1842 and 1848. At the very least, there is a document dated October 23, 1860 which authorized the refurbishment of room 2 to an oratory for St. Joseph.

Hans Holzer, the great paranormal researcher, personally visited the university in the company of a psychic and recorded impressions of a four-legged creature which felt fear and the desire to run – as well as a strong presence around the statue, where the window once was.

Based on all this evidence, one can infer that perhaps a dog from the old castle or somebody’s pet met to a violent death on that spot and has clung there ever since – which may have driven one sensitive student to suicide. It is likely that the young man’s spirit, perhaps having had second thoughts, has returned to drive others to suicide. And the presence at the window is, most likely, an impression of that dramatic event rather than a true ghost. Such "impressions" are common – moreso than ghosts, at any rate.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay Kayleamay wins the award for freaking me out the most at the moment. Great story. The black dog is pretty terrifying as well.

I've got a pretty good freaky story about an apartment I used to live in. It sounds kind of crazy, though, so I typically don't tell people unless I know them well enough to know they won't think I'm insane. :tongue. I did grow up in a haunted house, though. That was pretty cool.

I have a sorta scary story, though. Well, scary at the time. Not sure if it would be as scary typed up. Anyway, basically I was at a friend's house in high school after a dance, and it was about three in the morning when she was going to drive me home. I sat in the car for a few minutes waiting on her to come out, and I just had this really creepy feeling. I didn't want to say anything, though, because I thought I was just being silly.

She came back and drove down the road, and this feeling that someone is watching me gets worse and worse, to the point that she stopped at the stop sign and I turned and checked the backseat. Thing is, so does she. We both look up and had this weird moment of understanding. I asked if she had a weird feeling, too, and she said yeah, but we didn't think much of it and kept driving. About halfway back, the feeling kept getting worse and worse. I'm talking a complete outright fear for no conceivable reason. The odd thing was that I wasn't afraid for myself--I was afraid for her. I knew I would be okay, but I just had this terrible feeling that something was going to happen to my friend.

A little past halfway she starts crying. Not kidding you. Scared to the point that she started crying, pulled into a gas station, and says, "Please let's go back. Please. I have the worst feeling about this and I want to go home." Of course by now I'm like screw making my mom mad go back. We arrived safely and I called my mom and told her I would be spending the night.

I wouldn't have thought a whole lot of it except the next day I went home, expecting my mom to be really angry with me for not coming home the night before (she'd been pretty adamant about me not staying the night), but instead she said, "You know, I'm really glad you called and said you'd be staying the night. I had an awful feeling something bad was going to happen on your way home."

In my book it just goes to show that if you've got that little voice in your head, listen to it.

Sweet Tea

Gone to pee - don't touch my glass!
Registered
Reaction score
I love all the old urban legends that get passed around, especially at this time of the year. Remember the stories of the Hook Man? Or the crying statue in the graveyard?

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I work for City government. A couple of years ago, when there was still money to be had, the City bought a run-down fourplex next to our building. There are plans for a new city hall, and the fourplex was nearly derelict and buying it meant the City could own the entire block.

Myself and three colleagues went to have a nose around. They were pretty unremarkable apartments, old and not very clean but nothing out of the ordinary until we went in the third one. I am a skeptic when it comes to these things. I felt a darkness over my left shoulder. I couldn't see it but I felt it. I was glad to get out of that apartment. When we returned to our office I told one of my colleagues what I'd felt and she said she had a feeling, in there, that she'd walked into a scary movie. Before the building was demolished, the police department used it for crime scene practice. Two experienced, salt-of-the-earth detectives went in there and found a wind-up toy that was wound up and working. There was nothing in the apartment when we'd been in there.

About a year after the building was demolished I was talking to a friend who has lived in this small town all her life. We got to talking about creepy things and I told her about the apartment. She told me that a boy she knew in high school, who'd been into drugs and fallen in with a bad crowd (back in the 1960s) had been found murdered just outside that building, in the front yard.

That's the only creepy thing I can think of that's happened to me.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oooooooo! These are so great, y'all! Thank you :D

I'd love to hear more about when people die. When my mother got very sick, it was hard to figure out how I felt because she had been in the hospital gravely ill many times with her cancer and always pulled through so well. Like fly to Paris 2 months later well.

This time, though, I kept smelling roses and lilies everywhere that week. In totally flowerless rooms. I knew something was up. It prepared me, honestly.

Talking to my mom in her hospital room alone, she told me that death had been in the room a few times, that it was an actual presence. It seemed entirely natural, even though I never believed in any personification of death before.

Really sweet supernatural things happened after her death. It all went very well, really. Her funeral bouquet smelled exactly like what I had been smelling, of course. I lay beside her grave in the fresh grass with all those flowers beside me and had no doubt at all.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This time, though, I kept smelling roses and lilies everywhere that week. In totally flowerless rooms. I knew something was up. It prepared me, honestly.

I smelled lilacs for months after my mom passed. (Out of season and in flowerless locations). I always got the feeling it was her checking up on me, because the house I grew up in had giant lilac bushes and they were always my favorite as a kid. (I used to climb them and pretend to get stuck so my dad would have to come outside and rescue me, then we'd cut some lilacs and bring them to my mom.) I know that's not creepy, but your story made me think of it.
Okay, off to work for me.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
My friend told me that after her grandmother died, she kept finding pennies on the floor in her room. Her grandmother had been a blues singer who never "made it" on her own as a singer and gave it up to get married and have kids - but she gave lessons in piano and singing, and of course, she sang and played the piano with her kids and grandchildren. The song they always sang while making dinner was "Pennies from Heaven."

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Those are awesome and make me warm inside :) No, they certainly don't have to be creepy to share here, please.

I have a great friend who is Wiccan, and she likes the scary stories, but it's also a time of year where stories of the supernatural in general seem fitting ;)

Now I smell the flowers the week before any close death, btw. I don't know that I like it like that. I don't know who it'll be.

And once it was just the perfume inserts in a magazine at an office :D It makes a person paranoid, I tell you!

My oldest uncle just died on the exact day his sister, my mother, did this past week! Kind of spooky. No condolences, please - he was ill and had just had a great fresh blueberry pancake breakfast, so he's good to go :) :)

I actually have a dog-of-death spooky story! I'll come back to this thread later today :D

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh i have another story, myself and my friends went to edinburgh (Loved it!!) and went on the haunted tour, which includes a tour of the vaults at night (alot of ghost hunters go there etc.).
We were told as we entered first room that we might smell things, which means ghosts were about, he said that in this particular room if you smelt violets or lilac, it meant that two old women spirits were about (who are nice) but if we smelt whiskey we had to let the tour guide know - as there is a violent spirit associated with the smell.
now we thought this tour would involve people jumping out at us and stuff but it was more of a historical spooky tour (it was excellent). Anyhoo we entered first room and i was overcome with smell of violets/lilacs. I didn't say it to anyone cause i thought it must have been scented candle hidden somewhere etc. as a ploy, but as tour went on - there were no more smells (and no one jumped out) etc.
That night, back at the hotel we were discussing it and i said that i thought there was candle or air freshener in the first room, but turns out no one had smelt anything in the room except me.

not scary, but funny how smells are associated with things

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I've been working on a story about a mental patient/writer, who moves to the country to write a book. It's my bio.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
I've mentioned before about my Aunt's house being haunted. Most of the activity happens at night. The radio will start playing and sometimes it sounds like there are people talking. Cabinet doors will open and close by themselves; the fridge door too. She came home one day to find a large mess in the bathroom that trailed all the way through her kitchen and ended at the livingroom. There had been no one at home that day and no animals in the house. She woke up one night hearing whispering at the foot of her bed and it scared one of her dogs so much that she refused to sleep on the bed for over two months. She's had lights shining on the ceiling in her bedroom with no light source that she could find. There have been snakes in the house at odd times of the year. One night while they were watching a movie, the coffee table started to vibrate and move around the floor. One of her entry doors, that can only be locked or unlocked with a key was standing wide open in the middle of the night, and her dogs barking and running around as if frightened by something. (She is a stickler for making sure all of the doors and windows are locked) Lately when she lies down at night to read, her bedside lamp will turn off, only to turn back on when she reaches over to check it. A lot of other strange things too.

I stayed at her house while she and my Uncle took a few days away to care for her pets. When I let myself in, I could hear the television playing in the living room so I thought maybe they had left it on. She later told me that they hadn't left the TV on and guess what was playing? A movie about a haunted house. *cue twilight zone music* During the nights that I stayed there, I kept hearing bumping noises in her great room and her dogs kept running out there barking, but every time I got up to go check, there was no reason I could see for the dogs to be upset. She did finally have to put the cats outside because they would be chasing things only they could see (apparently) and making a mess out of the whole house. One of the cats (the most docile animal I've ever seen) even attacked my Uncle for no apparent reason. (at least no reason he could see... muah hahahaha lol) I think it is most interesting, but my Aunt and Uncle have been talking about selling the house just to get away from the odd happenings.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oooooo, y'all :D

One reason I believe in ghosts is just because of a lot - a lot - of experiences my whole life, so I hope y'all don't mind me always having a ghost story or seven.

I lived as a young teenager in a newly constructed house cut out of Tennessee wilderness, very near a Civil War battle. We had a little lake. From the first night, I knew there were ghosts - we'd had ghosts everywhere we lived at that point. This was the first time I'd lived at the top of a staircase, and that was no fun, spook-wise. I could hear walking up the steps, see my door open, and at night or when I lay down, I could swear someone was standing over me. I could tell when he left, too. And he did that hand-on-the-shoulder thing and scared my poor sister and mother many times.

OTOH, my window overlooked the lake, and I could feel a multiple presence coming from there that seemed friendly.

After I noticed that, the walking-guy settled down more. And my shades would fly up - both at the same time - nearly every time I walked into my room. It felt like a joke, actually :D. After the shades flew up, the lake would be highlighted in a frame through those windows. My mother saw it; my friends saw it. If it were today I could easily get a cellphone video of it.

Also, the lightswitches at the top of the stairs and on my hall would turn on or off just before my fingers switched them :)

Oh, there was a lot more, both scary and funny. It'll sound strange, I know, but I've always kind of missed my soldiers at the lake since we moved. I wonder if they are still there and hope the subsequent owners got that they were good guys :)