Critique Your Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
I just received one of those "standard" rejection e-letters from the Nelson Agency. It was meant to be a polite way to let any author down, I'm sure; however, it certainly wasn't thought through very well:
Dear Author:

Thank you so much for sending the Nelson Literary Agency your query.

I’d like to apologize in advance for this standard rejection letter. The volume of queries as of late has been too overwhelming to personalize our response anymore. Rest assured, I do personally read every query letter and although your work sounds intriguing, I'm sorry to say that I don't believe I am the right agent for you.

You deserve an enthusiastic representative, so I recommend that you pursue other agents. After all, it just takes one "yes" and with so many different opinions out there, you could easily find the right match.

Good luck with all your publishing endeavors.

Sincerely,

Kristin Nelson

Its a standard letter she sends to all rejects. Does this mean that every single inquiry she get "sounds intriguing" to her? Maybe so but I somehow doubt it. It's like getting a pre-judged rejection.

J. Y. (Jean) Moore

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
Ms. Nelson asked for a partial in response to my e-mail query. Her rejection of the partial arrived a month later.

Paragraph 1 said "Thank you so much for sending me sample pages of Storm Approaching", while paragraph 2 was "After a careful reading, I'm sorry to say that I don't believe I am the right agent for you."

The other two paragraphs were exactly the same as you received for your query.

Obviously both responses are canned.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
I read an article on the Nelson Agency in which Nelson stated that she always uses form letters because she doesn't have the time for individual responses. In fact, her assistant handles all correspondence.

AprilBoo

Good to be back
Registered
Reaction score
At least you got an apology for getting the form rejection. My last one just said they weren't buying the piece and wished me luck selling it somewhere else.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
If you read it carefully aloud into a tape recorder, and then play the tape backwards, you'll find that, somewhere in the middle, it says: "Paul is dead."

bird

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
forms

J. Y. Moore said:
Does this mean that every single inquiry she get "sounds intriguing" to her? Maybe so but I somehow doubt it. It's like getting a pre-judged rejection.

J. Y. (Jean) Moore

Nope, it all just means "I don't think I can sell your work, so I'm passing." That's all form rejections ever mean, regardless of the wording. THough this oen seems very well thought out to me.

Very few agents or editors ever offer personal comments/critiques unless they believe your work is of near professional quality and will sell with just a bit of varnish added.

If they think you're close to writing at professional level, and of telling a professional story, you usually receive comments. Otherwsie, it's a form rejection, and they all mean the sqame thing. "No thanks, I'm pretty sure I can't sell this."

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Nope, it all just means "I don't think I can sell your work, so I'm passing." That's all form rejections ever mean, regardless of the wording. THough this oen seems very well thought out to me.

Very few agents or editors ever offer personal comments/critiques unless they believe your work is of near professional quality and will sell with just a bit of varnish added.

If they think you're close to writing at professional level, and of telling a professional story, you usually receive comments. Otherwsie, it's a form rejection, and they all mean the sqame thing. "No thanks, I'm pretty sure I can't sell this."

I'd have rather had the "I don't think... ." It's honest. The "...although your work sounds intriguing,... " is blowing smoke up... since it's a form letter (pardon me, a "standard rejection letter"). Believe me, I do appreciate her effort to be polite and I would certainly not want an agent who is less than enthusiastic about my work. However, using a personalized ("your") critique-type comment in a letter that goes to ALL her rejects regardless of the quality of the submission (unless she has more than one "standard rejection letter" for different levels of interest -- doubtful) is ludicrous. I am not criticizing her intent, just the letter. I actually think it was my own query letter that received the reject and I'm working on that (although not to send to Nelson).

There are, I'm sure, lots of us who have received shlock letters of one sort or another and I thought this thread might be a good way to critique them since the people who send them out are critiquing us. No harm, no foul -- vent a bit since rejection is, at best, frustrating.

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
blacbird said:
If you read it carefully aloud into a tape recorder, and then play the tape backwards, you'll find that, somewhere in the middle, it says: "Paul is dead."

bird

:Clap: :banana: :Hail: :ROFL:

Query Ninja

Registered
Reaction score
:Hail: That's my new mantra. I'll just open the rejection and glance at it then say PAUL IS DEAD. :hooray:

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
J. Y. Moore said:
I’d like to apologize in advance for this standard rejection letter. The volume of queries as of late has been too overwhelming to personalize our response anymore. Rest assured, I do personally read every query letter and although your work sounds intriguing, I'm sorry to say that I don't believe I am the right agent for you.

You deserve an enthusiastic representative, so I recommend that you pursue other agents. After all, it just takes one "yes" and with so many different opinions out there, you could easily find the right match.

I'd swear I've gotten the same language from another agency. If so, there's plagiarism going on.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Take the Sting Out

Dear Author:

There's a great way to take the sting out of rejection letters -- check the thread "People! This is funny!" in the "Office Party" forum. There's a website that can take a text and rewrite it in a dialect -- from "Cockney" and "Redneck" to "Swedish Chef" and "Elmer Fudd."

I took the Nelson Agency's standard rejection letter, and ran it through this website -- too funny!:ROFL:

Give it a try -- the URL is given on the thread.

:popcorn:

[I haven't posted it here because I want to give credit where credit is due.]

Last edited:

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody else's "Form Letter"

Does anyone else have a "form letter" they'd like to critique? Ms. Nelson seems to be getting the brunt of this and that was not my original intent. Her letter was actually one of the nicest I have received. I'm just insensed that agents/publishers don't seem to require the same perfection in their own letters that they require of us hopefuls. How can they be judgemental of my work if they are not as critical of their own - particularly with something they know is to be a permanent part of their repertoire, sent and resent, ad infinitum.

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
smallthunder said:
Dear Author:

There's a great way to take the sting out of rejection letters -- check the thread "People! This is funny!" in the "Office Party" forum. There's a website that can take a text and rewrite it in a dialect -- from "Cockney" and "Redneck" to "Swedish Chef" and "Elmer Fudd."

I took the Nelson Agency's standard rejection letter, and ran it through this website -- too funny!:ROFL:

Give it a try -- the URL is given on the thread.

:popcorn:

[I haven't posted it here because I want to give credit where credit is due.]

Hilarious! I've put it in my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.