So, how many of you guys are bearding up for the winter?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I had an 8 year long run with a goatee that I ended about a month or so ago. now I'm completely clean shaven and only now am I starting to get used to the face in the mirror.

However, for the past two years I've let my full beard grow out From the beginning of November to the first of January. It's become one of my "manly" rituals I do now to kick off the winter. However, I realize that if I do it again this year, I'm going to have to get used to the clean shaven goober in the mirror again. So I'm torn.

So, guys, how many of you grow a beard for the winter?

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
oh dear,.....

qw? you wanna take this one?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the guys at my office do that. I've never grown a beard . . . every time I've tried in the past (just to see what one would look like on me) after about two weeks of not shaving I look like a homeless wino, plus the thing starts to itch and I'm always rubbing my chin.

Good luck with yours, however.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the guys at my office do that. I've never grown a beard . . . every time I've tried in the past (just to see what one would look like on me) after about two weeks of not shaving I look like a homeless wino, plus the thing starts to itch and I'm always rubbing my chin.

Good luck with yours, however.

what the hell? Why did I think you were a girl?

And why do I get the feeling I've said that before? lol

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Around here (the great white north) guys who grow "winter beards" get hassled and laughed at. Cause you know, manly men up here are much too hardy to need whiskers for warmth.

Sure is fun to watch that go down around the office.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone posts that about every three months. Then a couple of other people will chime in (and then the thread will be completely hijacked). I've even added a note to my profile (in addition to the part were it says "Male"), but it doesn't help.

It was funnier the first 200 times. But, oh well.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait...

Alleycat is not a girl?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Someone posts that about every three months. Then a couple of other people will chime in (and then the thread will be completely hijacked). I've even added a note to my profile (in addition to the part were it says "Male"), but it doesn't help.

:roll: :roll:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I think you should request that you username be changed to "Grizzly Adams" or "LumberjackMan" or something.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I gave brief thought to going with a beard, but I'm too obsessed with trying to maintain some semblance of youthfulness in my appearance...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you should request that you username be changed to "Grizzly Adams" or "LumberjackMan" or something.
I'm thinking about using a hand as my avatar photo . . . but I won't have two fingers up, just one.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
My hubby grows a beard every winter.

Well, not so much 'grows a beard' as 'allows his long and hairy goatee to spread all over his face.' And head. Then he shaves both for summer and leaves the goatee. :)

Reaction score
I like a goatee on a guy. Nothing too long and bushy! Something close-clipped and shaped.

That, or a very, very light dusting of stubble. Nothing more than a shadow, really.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

And why do I get the feeling I've said that before? lol

It's still funny.

I like a goatee on a guy. Nothing too long and bushy! Something close-clipped and shaped.

That, or a very, very light dusting of stubble. Nothing more than a shadow, really.

Me too. My husband had a goatee from the time I met him. He recently shaved himself clean and I caught myself staring at his upper lip constantly. It's strange looking to me. I want the goatee back. He looks like he's 25 now, which just makes me look older when I stand next to him. (He shaved because his whiskers started graying. Silly.)

He's grown the full-on grizzly adam's thing before too. I like it, but only when he gets sweaty and grunts a lot.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've been searching hi and low for a product that will allow me to keep a perpetual five o'clock shadow.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
And, also, there's something about being an author that just makes me...want to sport a beard.

It's like, growing a beard would make my words warmer, like a hot cup of Java on a cool fall afternoon.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Around here (the great white north) guys who grow "winter beards" get hassled and laughed at. Cause you know, manly men up here are much too hardy to need whiskers for warmth.

Never seen that happen here.

I'm growing my beard and mustache. Might have to get rid of the mustache because it's growing in too lightly but we'll see.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I have mine pretty much all year round. When it gets too long, I trim it back to "long stubble", then let it grow back again.

*Sings badly*

The ciiiiiircle of beeeeaaaard...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

This.

Plus...mine is patchy at best. Native blood, I think.

(heehee at your signature.)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I like a goat on a guy. Nothing too long and bushy! Something close-clipped and shaped.

That's odd. Where would he put the goat? His head? His shoulder? Stapled to his back? Where?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen my face without a beard in 30 years. My daughter never has. In the 80s it was quite long and bushy, but the older I get, the shorter it gets. Now I keep it less than a quarter inch and just a goatee.

ETA: Just for laughs, this is a self-portrait I drew in college

img41.gif

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Scarlet, you bitch!

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen my face without a beard in 30 years. My daughter never has. In the 80s it was quite long and bushy, but the older I get, the shorter it gets. Now I keep it less than a quarter inch and just a goatee.

ETA: Just for laughs, this is a self-portrait I drew in college

img41.gif

Ha ha, you kinda look like Jesus.