Paranormal Activity

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I'm wondering if anyone has seen, or plans to see Paranormal Activity.

The trailers reveal nothing except startled audiences, and when the trailer is really vague, that's usually a red flag to me. So I checked out Roger Ebert's review, and he has a good description of the film, plus he just loved it. So, based on that, we plan to go see it sometime after it opens around here this weekend.

Reading his review, it sounds like a good movie (and motivates me to re-finish my novel and polish it up since the subject matter is similar).

Anyone else?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
It's not coming to Bflo, but I saw the trailer on FearNet. It looks like good Blair Witch-type shlock. I'm all for shlock horror around Hallowe'en. I actually hope it does well enough so they expand the release.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saw it last night. And at the risk of hyping it up too much, the audience applauded at the end.

It's like Blair Witch done right. More of an actual script, less improvisation. More and much better humor. LOTS more visible scares, plus a great atmosphere and suspense. It does a phenomenal job of scares scenes up and making you guess when, if and how the payoff is coming.

The only real negative is that the acting occasionally lacks, but that's to be expected and not a big deal really, and one character's behavior is slightly annoying after a while, in the way that (to me) Scully from X-Files eventually got a bit annoying because her behavioral pattern should have changed in the face of what was evidently happening. But we're given some clear signs as to why this character acts this way and in truth, this is how a lot of people are in real life. It was sort of funny but at a certain point you just wanted to scream some sense into this person.

Still fun times though. I actually was planning to temper my enthusiasm about the flick in these forums because it's not a conventional movie and isn't going to be for everyone. Then again, what movie is? So I recommend the hell out of it. This is great Halloween viewing, and a brilliant example of how to make a good horror film sans overt torture and gore.

Last edited:

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still no one else has seen this yet? It's October people! Go see some scary movies!

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still? That stinks, this is supposed to be the "wide release" weekend.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Never even heard of it until now. Heck, now I want to see it.

I like shows like A Haunting and such, so it sounds like something I'd enjoy.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll probably go tomorrow. It just opened at a few theaters near me.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to see it!!

Gotta find out if it's playing around here.

Jake G

Registered
Reaction score
It's fantastic. It does a great job scaring any audience by using anticipation.

I also believe humor is an important element in horror movies. The film separates itself pretty well into set ups/jokes and horror.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
It was ok. There were a couple of points where I got a little bored and hoped it would get to the next scene already. But all in all, not bad. Most of the scare factor comes from the subtlety of the activity, which would be appropriate in the situation that movie proposes.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
We've been wanting to see it since the ads began. Not sure if it's playing here yet. Probably in Nashville.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Just saw it last night.

Awesome film!

Here's a very good pre-release article by a blogger who hasn't yet seen the film but intends to:

http://www.film.com/movies/paranormal-activity/story/preview-paranormal-activity/30201492

Preview: Paranormal Activity

Will the "real footage" angle still scare people with Paranormal Activity?

Ammon Gilbert, Sep 19, 2009

Ten years ago a little movie called The Blair Witch Project was unleashed upon the masses, simultaneously scaring the pants off people while making a ton of money at the box office. The formula was simple: use a video camera to candidly tape a group of "real" people as scary stuff happens to them; don't actually showing anything and attempt to convince the audience it's real. At the time, no one had seen anything like it before, and thanks to co-marketing on this new thing called the "Internet," half of moviegoers thought it was the real deal.

Jump ahead to today, where the Internet is a part of people's daily lives, where reality TV is one of the most popular forms of entertainment, where home videos are given the YouTube treatment by just about everybody, and where horror movies have hit another box office hot streak. Times have changed to some degree, but some things remain the same: People love a good scare. The trailer for a little independent horror flick hit the Internet this week, invoking flashbacks to the days of Blair Witch, and yet somehow promising something new, something fresh, and something truly scary. The movie? Paranormal Activity, and thanks to Paramount Pictures, we'll have a chance to check it out this Halloween season.

Directed, written, and produced by Oren Peli for a modest budget of just $11,000, Paranormal Activity has a simple setup: a couple videotapes their new house while they're sleeping because they're convinced it's haunted. We share the couple's terrifying and intimate experience as we watch the shaky camera work, dark and moody amateur-style footage, and doors and chandeliers that appear to be moving on their own.

I hate to say it but I wrote a similar script two years ago and shopped that script around Hollywood to only two other film companies (both passed, of course, but one company said they really dug my writing style and asked me to keep in touch). My script is sadly inferior to this movie's treatment of the same premise. The very reason why the couple in this new movie chose to videotape the freaky stuff in their house was that they were looking for proof of what was happening to them--a VERY believable motivation for us to swallow the idea of two laymen not only videoing scary stuff, but also for why they would keep grabbing the camera again and again as the scary stuff just kept on happening. My script was not as clever as that. And sadly, just about ALL of the Blair Witch-style mockumdentaries out there all have that one flaw in common: who the hell is stupid enough to grab the camera and continuing shooting while monsters/zomies/aliens/ghosts/etc are doing their thing? But this movie makes us very comfortable with the idea that this man and woman really would keep grabbing the camera again and again. And believability is key to a film like this. They also knew when to be vague about certain factual discussions and to simply let the audience fill in the blanks on their own (a very effective psychological tool in crafting good horror).

A few additional keys to this film's success:

1) dialogue MUST feel absolutely real
2) the female character needed to be very sympathetic and 100% lacking in annoyance-potential
3) the geography of the house needs to be made crystal clear

A few things I thought were phenomenally well-done (SPOILERS! CLICK AND DRAG):

a) the foot prints in the baby powder
b) the swinging chandelier
c) the usage of time-lapse

Was I scared? Yes!! And that was the point. I predict a good healthy run of no less than $50 million in domestic box office for this film-- maybe even $80 million. And since the budget was a piddling little $11,000, that means THE MARGIN OF PROFIT is already through the fricking roof on this thing!!! Thus it WILL be celebrated in Hollywood, and eventually emmulated and copied.

::EDIT::

Here's some info on the budget, the limited number of screens it's currently playing on, and the ongoing box office take. For anyone not famioliar with "per theatre average" most movies of today are released on no less than 3,000 screens and (unless it's a true blockbuster) barely pull in $2,000 per theatre (about $1,800 per theatre is more typical). But this movie is being released into so few movie theatres at this time that people are driving from as far away as an hour to see it. And when theya rrive, the theatres are close to sold out. THEY ARE PACKING OUT THE THEATRES WITH THIS MOVIE! The per-theatre-average is exceeding $5,000 with this movie. Those are the kinds of numbers that make the Hollywood bean-counters stand up and pay attention.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=paranormalactivity.htm

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=paranormalactivity.htm

2009 Date ....Rank .. Weekend Gross ...... Theaters .... Change / Per Theatre Avg. ..... Gross-to-Date .... Week#
Sep 25–27 ... 48 .......$77,873 ................... 12 .................. - / $6,489 ....................... $77,873 ............ 1
Oct 2–4 ....... 20 .......$532,242 .................. 33 ............. +21 / $16,129 ...................... $776,763 .............. 2
Oct 9–11 ...... 4 ... $7,900,695 ................. 160 ............ +127 / $49,379 ................... $9,113,936 ............. 3

Last edited:

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I take it back: It is here this weekend and at only 2 theaters. Maybe...

Friend of mine that works at the Regal (i think it's the one near the airport, i'm not from here so I get turned around once i get past the Galleria) said he heard it was supposed to eventually hit most of the theaters here.

Hope it does!

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Our theatre won't be carrying Paranormal Activity and I'm really bummed...I wanted to see it!!!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is playing in my area and I'm hoping to see it this week with my husband.

My 2 sisters chickened out saying it sounds too scary for them.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Made $20M this weekend on only 760 screens (or $29K/screen). It's even more incredible when you consider the budget of the film was only $11K, less than half of that of Blair Witch Project.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw it today.

I liked it; my husband did not. He couldn't wait til it was over and was the first one on his feet when it was over.

Oh well. I think people are scared by different kinds of things.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My friends thought it was only okay. I thought it was better than Blair Witch, but that wasn't really saying much.

scan2001

Registered
Reaction score
I finally saw the movie and really enjoyed it. I thought it was well done.