New Burn...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
serves as a reminder. I should be more careful. I reached into the oven last night and the back of my hand, just below my thumb, stuck for a quick second to the rack. I pulled it out quickly...a shiny line appeared almost instantly. This morning, I have a red burn line about an inch and a half long.

The problem? Didn't feel a thing. Luckily, I saw the connection between hand and rack. Duh!

Sometimes not having much in the way of physical feelings of pain is a dangerous thing. I'll look at this burn today and remind myself to look straight ahead, eyes straight...and be more careful reaching into hot ovens.

(I wonder if there is a name for this.)

That is all.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
What is CIPA?

Ever since I was a baby I've been both accident prone and unable to feel pain to certain degrees. In school, I once went a whole day with an arm broken in three places...when I turned grey, the teacher found out there was something wrong. I once split my head open and my friend said, "You're bleeding REALLY bad." I was like, "Yeah right!" until the blood dripped into my eye. Just this summer I stepped on a metal spike thingy and was fascinated while watching the blood pour out of my heel. A bit of a problem...I have to be cognizant if I hurt myself, because I don't always know.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Kevin, I'm sorry about your burn. Do you have CIPA?

AH! Found it...

Congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis (CIPA) is an extremely rare inherited disorder of the nervous system which prevents the sensation of pain, heat, and cold. A person with CIPA cannot feel pain or differentiate even extreme temperatures. "Anhidrosis" means the body does not sweat, and "congenital" means that the condition is present from birth. Many scientists believe that this condition is both androphenic and supplementary to the thyroid system. The odds of being born with this condition are 1 in 125 million.

from wiki wiki what.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't know. I sometimes feel pain...so I don't think I do. I can cut myself where I require a dozen stitches and not realize it. Then I can get a paper cut and wonder if I should go to the hospital. (-;

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
I learned about conditions where individuals don't feel any pain when I was taking psychology in college and dear God, you'd feel for the people who it affects. Apparently people were known to bite through their tongues or break bones in their sleep because there were no pain indicators to tell them to turn over. A lot of them die quite young too through accidents.

Don't know why I'm going into that as I don't think you suffer from anything like that but I always thought it was interesting so I shared!:)

But I know what you mean about not feeling too much pain KTC. I routinely find cuts or bruises that I look at and go WTF? I worked on a hot deli and my arms were burned up and down from hitting them off the hot ovens but the pain never registered. I have often found that I am bleeding with no idea that I even cut myself. I like to think I'm not weird, I'm just one part superhero!:D

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I can live with superhero. Sure. Why not. (-; It's the being aware that's hard for me. My head is always in the clouds. Knowing that you're gushing blood is always a good thing...that way you can maybe staunch the flow. (-;

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Hubby does this, unfortunately my reaction is usually to laugh. Aloe Vera is super for burns; i burnt my hand the other evening whilst washing up, it wasn't quite how i had intended to remind myself that our first aid kit needed stocked up. Hope you're taking care of your hand, or at least can get someone to kiss it better. :)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congenital analgia, CIPA or congenital insensitivity to pain... this article is a jump off point in case you want to look more into it, Kevin. Just ignore the poor grammar in the article and be glad the person got money for putting the information together in a semi-coherent fashion. That noise you will hear reading the article is the echoes of me grinding my teeth while I read it. ;)

article on CIPA

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Did you stick your hand under cold water immediatetly after this happened?

This used to happen to me all the time, when I was working in catering. I remember I had 10 burns in one day all over, and it wasn't just from the oven. It was from oil being splattered and hot water falling on me. I still continued at the job, in covered bandages!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Congenital analgia, CIPA or congenital insensitivity to pain... this article is a jump off point in case you want to look more into it, Kevin. Just ignore the poor grammar in the article and be glad the person got money for putting the information together in a semi-coherent fashion. That noise you will hear reading the article is the echoes of me grinding my teeth while I read it. ;)

article on CIPA

OMG! Thank you (and how could you!). It did have a lot of information. Thanks for the link. I'm sure I do not have this...it sounds far too cut and dry. NO PAIN. I do feel pain at times.

You were NOT kidding! I think that was the worst grammar I've seen in decades. I am screaming...so I can't hear your gnashing teeth!

The little girl put her hand on the hot oven and smiling with her blood all over the kitchen. The parents who found her were shocked. It is also known that when this little girl began teething, she shredded her own lips too.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Did you stick your hand under cold water immediatetly after this happened?

This used to happen to me all the time, when I was working in catering. I remember I had 10 burns in one day all over, and it wasn't just from the oven. It was from oil being splattered and hot water falling on me. I still continued at the job, in covered bandages!

I didn't do anything...I just continued making supper. I always have this, "Wow! I just touched the inside of the oven again!" moment. Makes me want to step out in front of a car sometimes. Just for shits and giggles. (-;

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't do anything...I just continued making supper. I always have this, "Wow! I just touched the inside of the oven again!" moment. Makes me want to step out in front of a car sometimes. Just for shits and giggles. (-;

Hmm, I'm thinking there may be better way to get your kicks... Just a thought. How about a nice book or a dvd instead? Just watch out for those paper cuts! :D

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com

I understand how you feel. It is natural not to feel pain, as the brain doesn't register what has happened. I used to be the same, now I no longer have these experiences. And I stepped out in front of cars too, and no one hit me. Of course there are other reasons too for this happening, and they stem from you as a being. Do you still have a scar on your hand?

Next time it happens, just do what you feel and step out in front of a car! :) Just make sure you don't get hit by it!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope your hand is okay

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh...my hand is fine. Thanks, guys. It's just a red line...just happened last night. I heal tremendously fast too. It will probably be gone in a matter of days.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
*kicks kevin in the bingos*

did you feel that?

:D

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
serves as a reminder. I should be more careful. I reached into the oven last night and the back of my hand, just below my thumb, stuck for a quick second to the rack. I pulled it out quickly...a shiny line appeared almost instantly. This morning, I have a red burn line about an inch and a half long.

(I wonder if there is a name for this.)

'Douchenozzle' leaps to mind.