Need MP3 player recs.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What brand or specific type of MP3 player should I get? I'm feeling crazy impatient so I'm likely to buy this tonight or tomorrow (impulse buying, yay). That's assuming I can do my research and decide tonight. This is actually an xmas pressie uber early.

So, must be under 100 (on sale or rebate)
Must have some good options (I'm just now learning what an MP3 player comes with these days, and even under 100!)
Can I get one with WiFi? Can I surf the web using something like Opera? How's that work?
Must be small and light and have good battery life. SD card a bonus since that looks pretty handy in a pinch.

Cheers

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
You mean someone else makes one besides Apple and it's iPod?

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
In all honesty the ipods are real pains in the ass.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I've been using a Sansa Clip and a Sansa Fuze. The Clip is extremely portable (has a built-in clip so you can attach it to your shirt). The Fuze has a micro-SD card slot so you can carry additional music. Putting music onto the devices doesn't require any special software other than MS media player. When you attach the device to your computer through USB it shows up as a drive, so you can drag & drop music files from your computer onto the device. Media Player can also sync music to/from it, but I haven't used that feature.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was looking at the Fuze earlier and I think it might fit the bill. Good to hear from someone who has it.

And yeah, I'm not touching anything as commercial as an iPod. I hate paying for some company's ad program ;) That and other reasons ofc.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't want to end up beholden to the iPod empire, either. The Fuze is nice in that it doesn't require any additional software or a connection to the Internet in order to populate it. I've been using it strictly for music.

Amazon's good for comparison shopping. So's Best Buy. One thing I've noticed is that some colors are cheaper than others for some reason.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Behold: I pray to the great God Apple and Ipod, and I shun the non believers!!

funny-pictures-giraffe-shuns-duck1.jpg

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Behold: I pray to the great God Apple and Ipod, and I shun the non believers!!

Shun the non believers. Totally.

You'd have to pry my iPod out of my cold dead hand.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Before I switched to the iPod, I had very good luck with a Creative Labs mp3 player. Great storage, nice display, and good sound quality. YMMV.

Deleted member 42

I adore my iPods.

Seriously. And I had to support hundreds of students using them--and still adore them.

My first generation iPod still works!

The iPod touch has wifi, and is around 100.00.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
What brand or specific type of MP3 player should I get? I'm feeling crazy impatient so I'm likely to buy this tonight or tomorrow (impulse buying, yay). That's assuming I can do my research and decide tonight. This is actually an xmas pressie uber early.
Wait - is this to be given/used early, or will it sit in a closet or under the tree until Christmas? If the latter, it would probably be better to wait. The technology (and price) changes that fast.

The Cheap iPods Are NEAR! :)
You mean someone else makes one besides Apple and it's iPod?
The damn product is SO successful (and to think Apple was once a COMPUTER company, and had signed agreements with Apple Records saying it wouldn't make devices that play music! Are the Beatles on iTunes yet?), it seems more people know the word iPod than know the phrase "mp3 player." With its continued popularity, Apple's confusingly named "iPod touch" product (it seems playing music is a MINOR function of that thing), and other companies using various "iProduct" names, I'm betting the word iPod becomes genericized in record time.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In response to Mr. Bradley, I'm pretty sure The Beatles are still unavailable on iTunes. Pity.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Just be sure to keep your MP3 player (whatever brand) away from the cat. My sister's cat buried her new iPod in the litter box. Never was quite the same afterwards...

:D

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I am tech gadget geek. I hate to say this, but I have not seen anything come even close to the iPod. The cost is an issue though, but if you can afford it, I think it's the best product out there.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's to be used asap. I have a LOT of flying to do in the next few months and I've decided 100 (or less) is worth it for my sanity. I also won't be home for xmas so my mom is okay with giving me things way early :D (I was going to take her old one, but it's a brick and has horrid battery life. My old one semi-died years ago due to a power surge).

I shan't give into the iPods. And don't you shunners mean iShun? :tongue

Initial research before things got crazy round here tells me that wifi is retardedly limited on most low end models, so scratch that. In a year or two I'll get a phone with crazy options and internet (hopefully).

I'm rambling. The research continues...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
It's to be used asap. I have a LOT of flying to do in the next few months and I've decided 100 (or less) is worth it for my sanity. I also won't be home for xmas so my mom is okay with giving me things way early :D (I was going to take her old one, but it's a brick and has horrid battery life. My old one semi-died years ago due to a power surge).

I shan't give into the iPods. And don't you shunners mean iShun? :tongue

Initial research before things got crazy round here tells me that wifi is retardedly limited on most low end models, so scratch that. In a year or two I'll get a phone with crazy options and internet (hopefully).

I'm rambling. The research continues...
In a year or two this one will surely be both cheap and available in the USA ('watch' the video):
http://singularityhub.com/2009/08/21/uk-gets-awesome-lg-watch-phone/

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I love my Creative Zen Micro. But I spent $180 on the 4gb size about 4 years ago, which means they're way under that nowadays. The online store I work for sells 8gb players for around $40.
Now if you want to browse the web and play mp3s then yes, an iPhone / iPod Touch is the way to go. Lots of smartphones play mp3s and have basic web browsing, but good luck getting one for under $200.

I wish I was rich and could write off splurging on a iPhone for fun. I'm a Mac guy but I just haven't motivated myself to go with the iPods yet. Guess I'm not one of the cool kids then, but I don't give a frak.

Last edited:

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Our household has one Ipod (16 gb) and one non-Apple product (8 gb). Each has advantages.

The non-Apple has a retractable usb connector, which is much better than the Apple (which has a 'special' connector cord).

The Apple also identifies a 'home' computer and because I did my hubby the favor of loading the first set of songs on his Apple from my computer, the Ipod now wants to be loaded/synced from my computer from now on. At least, that's all we've been able to figure out so far.

I love & hate the Apple's touch screen. It's useful BUT only after you get the hang of it.

I bought a good quality set of headphones and listen to music (or watch movies) on my laptop when I travel, the laptop is going with me on the plane anyway so why mess with another piece of electronics.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Put me in Camp iPod. I have an iPod Nano and a Zune, and I've barely used the Zune at all because...well...I like my iPod. I use my iPod when I'm out and about, and listen to iTunes almost constantly while I'm working on the computer and absolutely love it. I've never found iTunes or iPods to be difficult to use...in fact, I thought they were refreshingly simple.

What can iSay? iHeart iTunes & iPod.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Honestly, I bought two at Canadian Tire. They are no-name and they cost $10 each. I bought two because they only hold 2mb and I wasn't sure how that translated to songs and I'm a big fan of music. They are both loaded. They have worked perfectly for me for the past 3-4 years. I use them every day...no problems. I'm a parent...so my son got the expensive iPod he wanted. It's a name...it has a screen and more features, but my $10 MP3 players have been playing non-stop and I am extremely happy with them. Who gives a shit about being able to read a screen.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the 8-gig mini SD on my Blackberry Storm. I'm not sure what the point is of having music separate from my phone.