PDA

View Full Version : Moving (next summer)

kaitie
10-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi everyone. Alright, I've got an odd little dilemma. I plan to start sending out queries next month, and I'm wondering if the fact that I'm going to be moving to another country this summer. I don't actually know where I'm going yet, but I'm just thinking ahead. Am I right that this would probably only really be an issue if someone requested partials and what not? I'm thinking I can hopefully have a new address or transitional address for things I send out closer to that time. Queries don't typically take more than a month or two to process, right?

I'm pretty sure this isn't really something to be concerned with because if someone was interested in a partial or full (which I know do take time), I could probably just email and inform them that my address was changing. Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation? What did you do?

Maryn
10-08-2009, 04:39 PM
I haven't dealt with such a situation myself, but you might consider using a friend's or relative's address, with their permission, since it's not changing.

I assume you're writing in English, contacting publishers in English-speaking countries? If so, I imagine you're doing most of it via email anyway. Your physical location may not even enter into the equation.

It'll be interesting to see what others say. Mind if I hang out here, waiting for them?

Maryn, who brought apples

Phaeal
10-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Your email should stay the same, and agents are using this convenience more and more. If you must use snail mail as your move approaches, add a sentence to your query or cover letters, noting the situation and providing your email address.

Williebee
10-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Maybe a PO Box or a mail service? Might get expensive, but it would work.

Hey look, apples! I've got caramel. Anybody got a stick?

icerose
10-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I would suggest either using a relative whom you can trust and/or include a note in every query stating your physical address and phone number will only be good until X date.

kaitie
10-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I considered putting a relative's address for those when I'm getting close to the move, the only thing is I want the response as soon as I can get it. ;) And I'm not sure I want someone else reading my rejection letters haha.

And sure you can stay, Maryn, as long as I get an apple. ;)

I like the idea of putting a line in the query about it. Why on earth didn't I think of that?

ishtar'sgate
10-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Yeah, I considered putting a relative's address for those when I'm getting close to the move, the only thing is I want the response as soon as I can get it. ;) And I'm not sure I want someone else reading my rejection letters haha.

They won't have to read your letters of acceptance. Simply have letters addressed to yourself in care of the relative's address. When the relative sees your name on the letter there is no need to open it. They can simply send it on to you or call you and you can give them permission to open it if you want to.

Wayne K
10-09-2009, 03:50 AM
You can have all your mail forwarded somehow I'm sure. Talk to your post office.

heyjude
10-09-2009, 04:43 AM
I got an agent mid-move. I did everything via email--one of those accounts that you can port anywhere (gmail, yahoo, etc). When I moved, I simply informed my agent of my new address. No problem.

The real problem comes if you're expected to do revisions to the book mid-move. Let me tell you, it isn't easy. :) You may want to wait till you're settled. Just a thought.

kaitie
10-09-2009, 05:10 AM
The real problem comes if you're expected to do revisions to the book mid-move. Let me tell you, it isn't easy. :) You may want to wait till you're settled. Just a thought.

I hadn't thought about this. Good point. :) Thanks for the advice, guys. :D