Only known existing film footage of Anne Frank

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Oh my gosh. That just really brings it all home, doesn't it? This young girl, with so much appreciation for life and the wit to relate it in such a way as to influence generations of kids to come, witnessing a moment she dreamed of in her attic and never got the chance to experience for herself.

Shattering.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
So in America,

The Diary of Anne Frank is required reading in all jr high / high schools. Is that the same throughout the Industrialized world?

Mel...

Last edited:

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Well, i know when i was in School, Anne Frank was on the curriculum for the Leaving cert - it wasn't 'required' reading, as often books chosen to be studied are chosen by the teacher from a large list.

I read Anne Frank in primary though, as teacher assigned it as a book report assignment. I'm glad she did, definitely is one of those 'lifechanging' books that stay with you.

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
So in America,

The Diary of Anne Frank is required reading in all high schools. Is that the same throughout the Industrialized world?

Mel...

No. I went to high school in Australia and I don't think it was on the book list at all.

I never read it simply because it sounded boring to me--and still does. And I say that as someone who is both interested in WW2 and horrified and appalled by the Holocaust.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't required reading in my Canadian school but my parents encouraged both my sister and I to read it.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I read it when I was at school, but I can't remember if it was required or not. I don't remember ever writing an essay on it, which suggests it wasn't.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
So in America,

The Diary of Anne Frank is required reading in all jr high / high schools. Is that the same throughout the Industrialized world?

Mel...

T'wasn't required here (England '94-'99).

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i saw this footage the other night. amazing.

should serve notice that something as casual as leaning out a window on a pretty day can, before you know it, turn to hiding in an attic to avoid being exterminated.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It was required reading in my Canadian school...and in my daughter's. I would have read it anyway. It's one of my daughter's favourite books.

This footage just tore me apart. How odd. It's 20 seconds long...and it shredded me.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

should serve notice that something as casual as leaning out a window on a pretty day can, before you know it, turn to hiding in an attic to avoid being exterminated.

There's something poetic in this. A world glimpsed.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
She brought to the world a story shared by millions yet unknown, or undocumented. It's almost numbing to see her and know what she had yet to endure.

For the sake of historical record, Anne Frank will always be the face of the holocaust.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
This makes me sad because it just reminds me of all the people who deny this horrendous thing ever happened.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

I'm a Jew, albeit a very secular, non religious one. That clip caught me totally off guard. It was an emotional blow. I actually started to weep.

Not for poor Anne Frank -- it was something larger, something about the beautiful ordinary day, the cars, the happy people, and the knowledge of the holocaust.

How can such things be?

I'm not a natural cynic, but it's a terrifying reminder of what is possible -- and it doesn't feel like history at all. It could happen again, (and already has) maybe to different people, maybe in some other way -- maybe even here.

It's enough to make you lose faith, even if you have none.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
The events occurring now are very reminiscent of how the Holocaust began. It is very possible that someone could attempt it again. I doubt it would actually be carried out, because I think Israel and its allies would probably put a stop to it pretty quickly (please do not start another debate over Israel--this is not the thread); however, people are looking the other way while anti-Semitism and anti-Semitic acts are on the rise in America and Europe.

The mass Holocaust denial by some and ignorance of people to the violence going on makes me very nervous. I just have to trust in G-d that whatever happens is for the best.

rugcat said:
I'm a Jew, albeit a very secular, non religious one.

A Jew is a Jew. :) We all need to accept and embrace each other.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Is there something wrong with me because this clip doesn't cause a deep emotional answer? I guess it's because I am not much familiar with the history of Anne Frank (haven't read the book and only saw clips of the film and know pretty much an outline of what happened)

The Diary of Anne Frank wasn't part of my educational curriculum, I think there was not a single book that wasn't written in Spanish there. (No, wait John Livingston Seagull was there)