PDA

View Full Version : Is Hardcover essential for a picture book's first edition?

stork
10-08-2009, 03:23 AM
I have my first picture book ready to be published. I'm self publishing through lulu.com, and after a lot of book format changes they informed me I can only do soft cover. Any comments? Also, does anybody have any experience with lulu.com?

Amarie
10-08-2009, 04:32 AM
I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but you will probably get more responses if you ask a moderator to move this thread into the Publishing section. They have a subsection on POD and self-publishing, and I know there are threads on lulu.

CaoPaux
10-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Moved from Bulletin Board.

MickRooney
10-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Stork,

It really depends on the trim size of the book, but paperback picture books dont tend to work well with small trim sizes like 5.5 x 8.5 or 6 x 9. Better a minimum of 11 x 8, particularly if it is for a very young children's catagory. Ideally, though, the market is really for hardback.

ResearchGuy
10-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I have my first picture book ready to be published. I'm self publishing through lulu.com, and after a lot of book format changes they informed me I can only do soft cover. Any comments? Also, does anybody have any experience with lulu.com?
See the Lulu.com thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111541) on AW.

--Ken

nitaworm
10-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Well, since I am a mom and purchase picture books for my kids. I prefer to buy the hardcover ones because - little kids are hard on books. There are other PODs besides lulu. Therefore if I were you, I would find someone to put my book in the best 'marketing' format possible. I purchased a picture book from a self pubd author and it looked wonderful. I should have asked her where she had it done at.

ResearchGuy
10-10-2009, 07:06 PM
. . . I purchased a picture book from a self[-published] author and it looked wonderful. I should have asked her where she had it done.
Might have contracted for an offset print run, maybe even in China. I know folks who do that (although the overseas price advantage has to be shrinking sharply with the dollar being hammered down).

--Ken

LovetoWrite
10-10-2009, 10:45 PM
I often buy books at a local independent book store and they had a childrens book about sports, that was self-pubbed and the Illustrator was a local. I flipped through it and noticed it stated the book was printed in India.

I was surprised by that and wondered why they didn't go the POD route most use here in the US. I can only assume, they probably did their homework and found a much cheaper cost in India. How does someone find information about printers in China and India and know the quality they will get in the end?

ResearchGuy
10-11-2009, 05:27 AM
. . . they probably did their homework and found a much cheaper cost in India. How does someone find information about printers in China and India and know the quality they will get in the end?
Yep. And bought probably 3,000 copies at one whack.

As for the second part: ask a lot of questions. Get references.

FWIW, prices in the U.S. vary a lot. One of my self-publishing friends bought 3,000 copies of a 300-page hardcover novel at a couple of bucks per copy (under $3.00 for sure, as I recall). Nice looking book. Printed in the U.S. A publisher friend of mine got 2,100 copies of a hardcover book (around 400 pages) at under $6.00 per copy, delivered (McNaughton and Gunn, Michigan, 2007).

IBPA and SPAN might have helpful resources regarding printers. So does Dan Poynter.

--Ken

LovetoWrite
10-11-2009, 05:56 AM
ResearchGuy - Thank you for the information.

Off topic -I'm writing a book for my parents and I plan to print it through lulu, so I have been watching that thread closely. I never thought about self-publishing before, but I have to say the challenges against it, are enticing.