PDA

View Full Version : In lieu of a website....for now....

Project nachonaco
10-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Would it be beneficial for my (unfinished and unpublished) novel to have a Facebook page?

I could do different things on it until I get it published. LOL. You know, updates, sort of like I would on Twitter.

Celia Cyanide
10-07-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm inclined to say no. It would be easier for you to write updates on your unpublished novel from your own facebook page. IMO, fan pages generally work for stuff that is already out there to buy and/or see online.

NicoleMD
10-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Unfinished, no.
Unpublished, maybe.

Until you type "The End" the time on Facebook would be better spent putting words on paper.

Nicole

katiemac
10-08-2009, 02:03 AM
No.

I'm not sure exactly what you'd want to gain by investing time on a Facebook page for an unfinished project. Slim to none an agent is going to pick you up from there, especially if it's incomplete. And whereas I can see a nonfiction writer wanting to build some niche buzz, it doesn't work the same way for a novelist.

Stick with Twitter. Your updates go on your account, and you can commiserate with other writers.

kct webber
10-08-2009, 05:43 AM
Seems like a waste of time to me, actually. Ask yourself if you'd care. If someone sent you a friend request, or whatever, from a book that's unpublished, unfinished, etc, would you care? Would you ever bother to visit the page, or check the updates--if you even accepted the request? I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't. Seems like your time would be better spent writing. If you're doing just for fun, or as a break from writing, then by all means, go ahead, but... will it be useful? No. Doubt it.

I can say I've had a lot of authors with unpublished, unfinished, or self-published manuscripts try to add me and get me to follow them on facebook and myspace. It never works in my case. Because I just don't care enough--if I even add them--to check their pages.

aadams73
10-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Would it be beneficial for my (unfinished and unpublished) novel to have a Facebook page?

No. No one cares about unfinished manuscripts. Harsh, but true.