Is there a way for me to have a dog?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
And I don't mean one of those hypo-allergenic kinds. I am allergic to dogs. Mild to moderately so. What I want to know is if there's a way to have a dog and keep it outside and not make it suffer?

I've always said I wouldn't have a dog unless I knew they were warm and safe at night or if I lived out in the country. I don't have really any out buildings like I did on my small orchard, I had a barn and my dog had a warm and cozy place in there.

I saw this photo of my son holding a beautiful puppy. I love dogs. I adore cats. I can't have them in the house. :( I won't have a cat in the city and let them be outdoors, they get run over. But I so want a dog I can love and go for walks and spend time with.

And before you say I can get shots, I can't. I have reactions to most medications so, if there's no way for me to have a dog outside and keep it warm and safe, I'll keep on not having one and just love them when I get to see them.

But I so want this puppy.

danandpuppy-1.jpg

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if you care for the breed, but I believe that most people who are allergic to dogs are NOT allergic to Giant (Standard actually) Poodles. This is because they have hair instead of fur, and this don't shed the stuff that makes some humans allergic.
My daughter had a friend whose family owned one for this reason, and it was an incredibly gentle, smart, and fun pet.
Just something to look into.

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if you care for the breed, but I believe that most people who are allergic to dogs are NOT allergic to Giant Poodles. This is because they have hair instead of fur, and this don't shed the stuff that makes some humans allergic.
My daughter had a friend whose family owned one for this reason, and it was an incredibly gentle, smart, and fun pet.
Just something to look into.
I can't have a pet in the house or I'd have a cat which I'm not allergic to. My last two cats were adopted to a friend because I'm always trying to be ready jump to selling the house. Pets are hard on the house and the agents always say it's easier to sell a house with no pets in it.

I'm not particularly fond of poodles,big or small. I want a nice chocolate Alsatian or a retriever or, I'd love another Irish Setter.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
My personal, directly honest opinions only....

I wouldn't since I see bringing a dog into your life like adopting a child. I think that when dogs are puppies they get lots of attention but once they grow up and become dogs, "out of sight, out of mind".

As a very experienced dog person, I think that dogs can become neurotic, wild, mentally unstable, depressed, and in some cases dangerous, when they are kept outside, alone, and aren't treated as an integral part of the family. Dogs are very social animals and need to be part of a 'pack' to be stable.

Speaking as someone that is mildly allergic to dogs and VERY allergic to cats; plus, allergic to lots of medications. If you haven't seen an allergist in the past few years you might want to check in with one. There are lots of new options available, lots more choices than the old-sleep-robbing decongestants. I hadn't been in 5 years and just went a couple of weeks ago, there are even some new meds that don't cross the blood/brain barrier.

Judy

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if you care for the breed, but I believe that most people who are allergic to dogs are NOT allergic to Giant Poodles. This is because they have hair instead of fur, and this don't shed the stuff that makes some humans allergic.
Just something to look into.---

Edit: I just looked it up and may be wrong about it being classified as a Giant Poodle. researching, be right back...
what I'm really hoping is someone has a great idea for keeping a dog outdoors and safe and warm. Winter is coming. It's probably too late to get a puppy though. I do have a really large garage but I'd be soooo upset to have it potty in there, as I said, when the first chance is right, I'm selling this huge house.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with threedogpeople on this one.

I'll be blunt, sorry. Most the people in this town keep their dogs outside and it's not good.

Dogs need company. I, personally, don't see the point of keeping a companion animal, if you're just going to leave it out in a shed or in a garage or whatever. It doesn't matter if it's centrally heated, carpeted, double glazing, fed raw steak every day. Dogs require a lot of commitment on the part of the owner, you can't just spend time with them when it's convenient for you to do so.

Dogs that are left outside tend to bark a lot, it doesn't go down well with the neighbors.

Dogs aren't part-time pets.

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I thought 'hypo-allergenic" meant it was some genetically bred type--I did not realize until now it was a general term for dogs that are naturally less likely to cause allergies.
If you only like the breeds that you are allergic to, then you may have a problem LOL.
But good luck.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
My personal, directly honest opinions only....

I wouldn't since I see bringing a dog into your life like adopting a child. I think that when dogs are puppies they get lots of attention but once they grow up and become dogs, "out of sight, out of mind".

As a very experienced dog person, I think that dogs can become neurotic, wild, mentally unstable, depressed, and in some cases dangerous, when they are kept outside, alone, and aren't treated as an integral part of the family. Dogs are very social animals and need to be part of a 'pack' to be stable.

Speaking as someone that is mildly allergic to dogs and VERY allergic to cats; plus, allergic to lots of medications. If you haven't seen an allergist in the past few years you might want to check in with one. There are lots of new options available, lots more choices than the old-sleep-robbing decongestants. I hadn't been in 5 years and just went a couple of weeks ago, there are even some new meds that don't cross the blood/brain barrier.

Judy
I thought this is what happened to a lot of dogs as well. My dog I had on my small orchard only slept in the barn but came in and out of the house all day. That didn't bother me as much as the setter I had living in the house with me. I can't bear to let them be outside. I've had people recently try to convince me this doesn't bother a dog. I wondered if I was being too tenderhearted when I said I couldn't have them outside.

I'm with threedogpeople on this one.

I'll be blunt, sorry. Most the people in this town keep their dogs outside and it's not good.

Dogs need company. I, personally, don't see the point of keeping a companion animal, if you're just going to leave it out in a shed or in a garage or whatever. It doesn't matter if it's centrally heated, carpeted, double glazing, fed raw steak every day. Dogs require a lot of commitment on the part of the owner, you can't just spend time with them when it's convenient for you to do so.

Dogs that are left outside tend to bark a lot, it doesn't go down well with the neighbors.

Dogs aren't part-time pets.
Thanks for your input as well. I am glad to know I'm not being over sensitive. I go through this about every ten years.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, it sounds like now just isn't the right time for you to get a pet. You don't want it in your house (or even the garage!) because you're planning to sell your home. You should probably just wait until you've moved to consider your options.

Also, check your city ordinances. You may not even be allowed to keep a dog outdoors all day/night.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
And before anyone else misunderstands me, I don't think dogs or any other pet are meant to be a part time companion or think I can love them and ditch them outside.

I have a family I've known for years. They have two dogs outside in a kennel and have for years, and two dogs indoors. The two outside are hunting dogs and have elaborate kennels and the two inside, one is a boxer and the other is this wee tiny thing that I'm not sure what it is.

But I'm told time and time again, by them, I'm being silly. "Dogs adapt. It's not mean to keep them in a kennel."

So the answer is no. I can't have a dog. Thanks for your thoughts.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
agreed. dogs are pack animals. they thrive on interaction. just because many people keep their dogs outside doesn't mean it's not cruel to the animals. if you're ever more settled home-wise, and open to a hypoallergenic dog -- my super-allergic friend has been doing just fine with her indoor basenji -- then maybe reassess. for me the wear&tear on our home is SO worth living with my wonderful soul mate of a dog.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, it sounds like now just isn't the right time for you to get a pet. You don't want it in your house (or even the garage!) because you're planning to sell your home. You should probably just wait until you've moved to consider your options.

Also, check your city ordinances. You may not even be allowed to keep a dog outdoors all day/night.
If I got a dog, they wouldn't be outside all day.

Really, I think you are right. Now is not the time. If I wasn't wanting to move from this house, I'd figure out a way.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
agreed. dogs are pack animals. they thrive on interaction. just because many people keep their dogs outside doesn't mean it's not cruel to the animals. if you're ever more settled home-wise, and open to a hypoallergenic dog -- my super-allergic friend has been doing just fine with her indoor basenji -- then maybe reassess. for me the wear&tear on our home is SO worth living with my wonderful soul mate of a dog.

are basenji really barkless?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
From rep point, I was given a rep point from someone who meant it for someone else. Here's what it said, "She's just plain silly. We have 2 dogs, you can't just play with them when you feel like it. It's cruel."

And now, I'm offended beyond belief. For the record, I do not think that I can just pet and play with a dog and then just ignore them. I was looking to see if what I'm being told I can do is unreasonable or not. I want a dog. I've wanted one for years. But I can't bear to park them outside at night. I also think it's mean to keep a dog locked up inside a house all day and all night too.

You know, I was just looking for a solution. There isn't one. I get it. no need to make me feel like shit for asking a simple question.

Last edited:

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you're being offensive at all -- you've made it clear you want what's in the best interest of the dog! I think you'll be a great owner someday, when you're living somewhere where your dog can be both indoors & out.

As for basenjis, my friend's doesn't really bark, but he does make this adorable hound-like howling noise. it's hilarious, though not exactly quiet.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you're being offensive at all -- you've made it clear you want what's in the best interest of the dog! I think you'll be a great owner someday, when you're living somewhere where your dog can be both indoors & out.

As for basenjis, my friend's doesn't really bark, but he does make this adorable hound-like howling noise. it's hilarious, though not exactly quiet.
That link you gave is the cutest thing. Do basenjis not shed then? I had so many dogs growing up, I don't know why I have to have issues with them now. We had a dog that was a mix of a toy collie and a (oh help me I can't spell the name) we called them weiner dogs. It looked like a fox. It slept in what my step dad called the shanty, really a porch and it was in and out of the house all day. It even slept with me on the couch when I'd nap so I don't know why all of a sudden, 12 years ago, bam...I'm allergic.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I have a friend with a basenji. It's an awesome dog. I'm actually a cat person, and not a dog person. But I'm totally in love with that dog.

And there's no reason for you to feel like sh--. You are being responsible and really evaluating the situation. Instead of just impulsively getting a puppy, you asked for advice. Everyone should do that.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you can get a puppy, Cassi. If wishes could do it, then you definitely would have one... :Hug2:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend with a basenji. It's an awesome dog. I'm actually a cat person, and not a dog person. But I'm totally in love with that dog.

And there's no reason for you to feel like sh--. You are being responsible and really evaluating the situation. Instead of just impulsively getting a puppy, you asked for advice. Everyone should do that.
I love cats and dogs. I used to always get a puppy and a kitten and raise them together. That way they had a playmate. It was a riot watching my Irish setter and my little manx kitten play hide and seek in the house while I was pregnant with my first child. I don't think I've laughed so hard about anything in my life. They were so fun. I will have to learn more about basenji dogs. That just might be okay. I love big dogs but a small one might be alright. :)

I hope you can get a puppy, Cassi. If wishes could do it, then you definitely would have one... :Hug2:
Thanks sweetheart. :Hug2:

ElsaM

lurker extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I believe the Vischla is also a hypoalergenic dog...

Vizslas are sometimes advertised as hypoallergenic, but this isn't necessarily the case. They do have a thinner coat and shed a bit less than some breeds, but that's it. They're also very full on dogs that thrive on attention (sometimes called velcro dogs) and wouldn't cope with being outside all the time. At least mine doesn't :Shrug:

If in the future, maybe when you've settled into your new place, you're still interested in getting a dog you could consider getting two instead of one? I know it's more work, but they keep each other company, which is important for pack animals. And do some research into breeds - some are more independent than others. You may need to put some work into constructing appropriate-for-the-climate kennelling as well.

And for the record, it doesn't sound to me that you're hoping for a 'part time pet'. Not every dog needs to sleep inside, but they do need a lot of attention and it sounds like you've recognised this.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Vizslas are sometimes advertised as hypoallergenic, but this isn't necessarily the case. They do have a thinner coat and shed a bit less than some breeds, but that's it. They're also very full on dogs that thrive on attention (sometimes called velcro dogs) and wouldn't cope with being outside all the time. At least mine doesn't :Shrug:

If in the future, maybe when you've settled into your new place, you're still interested in getting a dog you could consider getting two instead of one? I know it's more work, but they keep each other company, which is important for pack animals. And do some research into breeds - some are more independent than others. You may need to put some work into constructing appropriate-for-the-climate kennelling as well.

And for the record, it doesn't sound to me that you're hoping for a 'part time pet'. Not every dog needs to sleep inside, but they do need a lot of attention and it sounds like you've recognised this.
Thanks for your post. I do think that all pets, not just dogs need love and attention. I really am missing my Siamese that my daughter has. Abbycat is my baby and I let my daughter take her because she seemed to calm her when she was on her own and abstaining from drugs. It's so wonderful that a cat or dogs love can make a difference for us.

Starhorsepax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.starhorsepax.com
I know how you feel

Me too. I want a dog but can't afford one right now. :cry: I wouldn't give up though. There are new treatments coming out all the time and new inventions to make it easier to keep your house allergy free. No dog now doesn't mean no dog forever. I have a friend whose house I love because my allergies always seem to ease up there. And that's with a dog. I'm not allergic to the dog-it's supposed to be the hypo allergenic kind anyway- but I'm sure it comes in with pollen on it.
I figure if all of us who want pets but are hindered by finances or illness or allergy etc. the animal shelters would be out of work!