I'm new to this and have no idea....

Rhush

Slave to the metal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I have a quick question. An editor I met at a conferance requested my manuscript, read it in about 3 days, immediately emailed me telling me how great she thought it was, then asked me if I'd consider putting some love scenes in. I said no problem. We were in constant contact for about 3 days. On the last day, we were deep into negotiating the details of the scenes, and she ended the email by saying she would email me the next day. The next 2 days I heard nothing, but just went ahead and wrote the scenes. Ive emailed her off and on for a week now with absolutely no reply. The main reason I find this odd is because we had been exchanging emails about 3 or 4 times a day and then it just stopped. It's like she disappeared. Does this mean anything? This is my first book, so I have no idea what is odd and what's normal.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Rhush said:
I have a quick question. An editor I met at a conferance requested my manuscript, read it in about 3 days, immediately emailed me telling me how great she thought it was, then asked me if I'd consider putting some love scenes in. I said no problem. We were in constant contact for about 3 days. On the last day, we were deep into negotiating the details of the scenes, and she ended the email by saying she would email me the next day. The next 2 days I heard nothing, but just went ahead and wrote the scenes. Ive emailed her off and on for a week now with absolutely no reply. The main reason I find this odd is because we had been exchanging emails about 3 or 4 times a day and then it just stopped. It's like she disappeared. Does this mean anything? This is my first book, so I have no idea what is odd and what's normal.

She could have gone on vacation, had a crisis, had a major deadline at work, been out sick, gotten married, etc. etc. Don't read anything into it at all. A week is nothing in the publishing world. If you don't hear back from her in a month or so, it's worth contacting her again. The worst case is that she was initially incredibly excited about your work, talked it up or showed it to others in the company who weren't as excited, and her ardor has waned a bit so she wanted to put the brakes on. But as hard as it is to wait, try to be patient--you'll hear from her again. Good luck!

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
After a month, would you suggest contacting the editor by email or by phone?

Email, unless specifically invited by the editor to call.