PDA

View Full Version : So... how did you tell or how were you told...

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-06-2009, 04:37 AM
... there's a baby on the way?

I've never been faced with presenting that kind of news to Ol' Boy and wasn't old enough to pay any attention when my sister told my brother-in-law... so...

For you ladies, how did you tell your beloved there was a blessed event on the way?

And for you gentlemen, how were you told of same?

K1P1
10-06-2009, 04:39 AM
I believe the words I used were, "I'm pregnant."

Seemed like the easiest way...

Sarah Christine
10-06-2009, 04:50 AM
I believe the words I used were, "I'm pregnant."

Seemed like the easiest way...

LOL. I laughed at that.

I've never had that situation myself, but I thought it would be fun to share my girlfriend. Her sister told her, "Hey, guess what. You're going to be an aunt!" And she said, "Why?" And her mother reached over and thwacked her.

At least the second time she was told, "You're going to be an aunt again!" she got it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-06-2009, 04:52 AM
My sister-in-law called me one day and at some point in the conversation, called me 'Aunt Jenny'. I didn't get it... she had to spell it out for me. :)

Perks
10-06-2009, 04:53 AM
I told my then three year old that we were going to have a new baby and then I let her tell my best friend when she came over later that day. It was very much fun.

At least for small children, there's not so much explaining. You just sort of tell them.

Sarah Christine
10-06-2009, 04:54 AM
My sister-in-law called me one day and at some point in the conversation, called me 'Aunt Jenny'. I didn't get it... she had to spell it out for me. :)

Hah! She'll be happy to know she's not the only one! I can only imagine one day I'll get the call and hear, "You're going to be an aunt!" My reaction would probably be something along the lines of, "......I'm moving to a safer country. Like North Korea."

underthecity
10-06-2009, 04:56 AM
We had already been trying, so she missed her period by several days. She took a pregnancy test, and it was positive. And she told me the test was positive. So, it wasn't a total shock or anything, just more of a feeling of finality. That is, in nine months, we'll have a baby and there's no turning back.

Baby's seven months old now and doing fine.

Selah March
10-06-2009, 04:59 AM
The first time, my husband got the news from the doc at the same time I did.

The second time, I wrapped the positive dip-stick in paper, dropped it in a plastic baggy, and put the baggy in an unmarked envelope. Then I went to the florist and added the envelope to an arrangement of flowers that I sent to his office.

I'm told the look on his face was worth twice what I paid for the posies.

JoNightshade
10-06-2009, 05:21 AM
Due to a previous freak-out of mine my husband had forbidden me to take any pregnancy test or to discuss the matter until I was "at least three weeks late." Except I KNEW I was pregnant. So one afternoon when I went to the grocery store I bought a test and snuck it past him. I left the grocery bags everywhere and shut myself in the bathroom. Took the test. It was positive. I came out - he was playing warcraft - and I said, I have something to show you. And placed the test in front of him.

It was hilarious because he was in the middle of a raid, he was in charge, and he was trying to 1) not get everyone killed 2) trying to figure out HOW to respond and 3) furious that I had gone behind his back! Well, he got all flustered, got everyone killed and finally said, "YOU TOOK THE TEST?!"

Mothers day was a few weeks later so we waited until then to tell our parents. This is the first, much anticipated grandchild on both sides. We sent each of our mothers a "Happy Mother's Day, Grandma!" card. My mom got it. My husband was online with his dad when his mom got the card; his dad said, "Your mother won't speak to me. I have no clue what's going on. All she'll say is she wants to know if this is a joke or if it's real?" Apparently when we confirmed that it was not a joke, she was totally unable to speak. My husband had to finally clue in his dad.

JoNightshade
10-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Oh - another funny story from another generation... my grandma (87) told me her mother never once spoke of the pregnancy when she was carrying her younger sibling. She had no clue anything was going on other than her mother was getting fatter. Then one day her mother came home with a baby, and that was it.

Puma
10-06-2009, 05:30 AM
When my cousin became pregnant (forty-some years ago), her mother called my mother and said "The rabbit died." That was apparently a well used expression back then.

I'm the youngest (by many years) of four siblings so there were already eight grandchildren in the family. When I became pregnant, I sent each of my siblings a card and signed it "Eight is not enough" (after the TV show of the day). Only one of them got it right away.

How did I tell Hubby? I honestly don't remember. Puma

Sarah Christine
10-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Then one day her mother came home with a baby, and that was it.

LOL. If only it were that easy.

Cassiopeia
10-06-2009, 05:37 AM
... there's a baby on the way?

I've never been faced with presenting that kind of news to Ol' Boy and wasn't old enough to pay any attention when my sister told my brother-in-law... so...

For you ladies, how did you tell your beloved there was a blessed event on the way?

And for you gentlemen, how were you told of same?My kids' dad was there for the tests on two of them. The third one, I came home from the insta-care where I went to see a doctor for a very bad chest cold, and announced to my husband, "It's Bronchitis again and oh btw, I have a urinary tract infection and it looks like we are going to have another baby too."

I was just as surprised as he was, though we were hoping for another baby and had been trying for a month. We just didn't expect it to happen THAT soon. :)

icerose
10-06-2009, 05:46 AM
I cried.

I was a newly wed, we had plans, I had a scholarship. Honestly I cried every pregnancy. Every single one was a surprise and we weren't ever in a position to really have a kid, yet they came anyway even with birth control supposidely blocking that from happening...

I don't regret any of my children nor would I give them back. But when I found out, I cried. Every. Single. Time.

sheadakota
10-06-2009, 05:46 AM
The first time we were trying and I got pregnant the first month- he was up in the woods cutting firewood and I hiked up there to show him the test. the second time, baby number one was only 4 months old- he thought I was crazy- I was nursing AND on BC pills, but I took the test anyway because I KNEW-
It was positive- I came out of the bathroom and threw it at him and said-
I told you I didn't want to have sex!
HIM- you were there too

ME- It was Pity sex!

The kids are now 11 & 12

~*Kate*~
10-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Baby numero uno: After trying for 18 months and 7 months of IF treatments, all I had to do was wake him up at 5 am after taking the test. He could tell by my face. We called everyone we knew that day.

Baby numero dos: We made the oldest a shirt that said "I'm going to be the big brother" and took him to both grandparents' houses. Then called everyone else we knew.

Jersey Chick
10-06-2009, 05:52 AM
Jersey Guy and I were trying to have a baby. The first day I was late, I took the test and waited for him to come home from work. Left the stick on the counter for him. ;) Since Mother's Day fell at the beginning of my 2nd trimester, we told both families at Mother's Day brunch. They freaked, but in a good way. :D

Second baby - again, we were trying. Again, first day I was late. Only this time, we invited my mom over (my in laws were in FL). My daughter proudly told her that she was going to be a big sister - and it took my mom a few minutes before it sank in.

We tried waiting until the 2nd trimester - but pretty much everyone knew within a week of the positive test result. :)

Cassiopeia
10-06-2009, 05:58 AM
The first time we were trying and I got pregnant the first month- he was up in the woods cutting firewood and I hiked up there to show him the test. the second time, baby number one was only 4 months old- he thought I was crazy- I was nursing AND on BC pills, but I took the test anyway because I KNEW-
It was positive- I came out of the bathroom and threw it at him and said-
I told you I didn't want to have sex!
HIM- you were there too

ME- It was Pity sex!

The kids are now 11 & 12someone should have warned you that nursing can interfere with the pill. ;)

CEtchison
10-06-2009, 07:22 AM
ME- It was Pity sex!

Soda up the nose!! LOL

With the first one, I wasn't sure if I wanted to know. I took a test in the middle of the night without the hubby knowing. Thought I was seeing things and put it back in the box and hid it under the sink. After he left for work, I checked out the test again and was in disbelief the entire day.

I went by the bookstore on the way home, bought a baby name book, and handed it to him when I walked in the door. He was stunned and thrilled. I was scared shitless.

fatdog
10-06-2009, 12:52 PM
With all three it was because I was tossing up in the toilet - I knew and he guessed.

sheadakota
10-06-2009, 02:32 PM
someone should have warned you that nursing can interfere with the pill. ;)
See and I'm a nurse and didn't know that! My daughter was obviously meant to be!

pink lily
10-06-2009, 02:49 PM
My husband was dropping me off to work at my job as a sub shop manager. I was really nervous about telling him because we'd only been married a year and this apparently was an anniversary present situation. We were poor and had been planning on waiting at least another year.

As we approached the store, I said, "By the way honey, there's something I need to tell you. I'm pregnant." He almost drove the car into the plate glass window of the store. Then I jumped out and said "Pick me up in 8 hours!" He was mad at first but then was overcome with joy and fear as he realized he was going to become a father.

Telling him about the second baby wasn't as glamorous. It was almost a year and a half after the birth of our son. I said something like "Remember that night we got really drunk and you forgot to pull out?" Then I threw up, and yeah, he remembered.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-06-2009, 03:09 PM
You guys are wonderful... thanks for the input. As always, you come through whenever help and/or info is needed.

Tasmin21
10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
We had been trying for a while, and I had miscarried once (very early on) so I didn't even tell him when I suspected I was again.

I snuck the test home and took it while he was out at work. When he got home from work, I said "Honey, there was a weird letter in the mail today."

I'd typed up a letter, in that childish crayon font that said something like:

Dear Daddy,

I just wanted you to know that I'm coming to see you in a few months. I can't wait to meet you and Mommy.

Love,
The Baby

Pretty sure we still have that letter somewhere.

firedrake
10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
I lost my first.
About six weeks after, I woke up, smelled coffee and threw up. So, I knew I was pregnant again.
I snuck off to the shops and bought a test, took it, saw it was positive and just left it for hubby to find when he got home from work.
It was brilliant, after the hell of the still-birth, to see his face when he saw that stick. :D

auntybug
10-06-2009, 07:29 PM
When I got pregnant with my daughter, I was 30 so the news was taken better than when I had my son ;) I called my parents in Hi from Fl.

Me: "I have a bun in the oven."
Mom: "Oh, what are you baking?"
Me : "Mom, put dad on the phone."

:roll:

Sorry - you wanted SO but that wasn't exciting. I just kinda said, "it's blue" & it took a few seconds of shock before happy set in. We weren't trying but we weren't "not trying" either ;)

DeleyanLee
10-06-2009, 07:46 PM
With the first one, I was seriously late on my cycle (late was not unusual, but seriously late was), so I called my ex at work and said, "Stop at the drugstore on your way home and pick up (Don't-remember-the-brand-anymore)."

Ex wasn't savvy enough to realize what I was asking him to get and just agreed and hung up.

When he got home, he burst into the kitchen, waving the drugstore bag: "Do you realize what this is for?!?"

:D

For the second one, we woke up the next morning and he said, "You got pregnant last night." I told him to bugger himself in rather explicit language, IIRC, since no one could know that, least of all him. When I discovered he was right, I whacked him over the head with the drugstore bag with the test box in it.

MAP
10-06-2009, 08:05 PM
My husband always waited outside the bathroom while I took the test, then we looked at the stick together.

With my second kid, I knew I was pregnant before I took the test. I felt wierd just like I did with baby #1. But when I took the test, it came back negative. I just stared at it forever because I knew I was pregnant. A few weeks later I finally took another test, and sure enough, it was positive.

jennifer75
10-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Well, we were trying, so after our first few attempts (in a very short period of time hehe) we just went about our daily routines for a couple of weeks, then went and tested. Negative. Waited a couple more days, and after no sign of my cycle, went and tested again. And...wallah. The nurse told us. I didn't take any home tests. Sickness came within minutes of hearing the word "pregnant". Funny how that works.

pink lily
10-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Do any of you remember that Clearblue Easy commercial from a few years ago? "It is the most sophisticated piece of technology ... you will ever pee on."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqX7VxW3wL0

charlotte49ers
10-07-2009, 01:24 AM
My husband was with me in the bathroom (because he couldn't let me pee in peace, nor could I find out before him). I peed on the stick and he took it from me (eww...go ahead and say it, it's ok). I told him he needed to put it down because it was supposed to lay flat for a minute.

He glanced down at it and his eyes got all big and he said, "It.says.PREGNANT." He then proceeded to pick me up off of the toliet, pants still down by my ankles, and swung me around.

I was excited, but I had to nicely explain that there were things I still needed to before I was ready to get off the toliet.

TMI? But it's true. ;)

On a more normal note. I've seen people make shirts, put humburger buns in the oven and tell their significant other to get the food out (bun in the oven, get it?), bake a cake, wrap up the pee stick, etc.

icerose
10-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Since this is also how we're told, I'll tell about my sister. She had found out she was pregnant but was terrified to tell anyone because she'd miscarried the previous one. She started bleeding and went to the doctor (again without anyone knowing) and they did an ultrasound. The baby ended up being okay but needed to be closely watched the whole pregnancy. She took a copy of the ultrasound and put it in an envelope with some flowers and had it delivered to her husband.

Fenika
10-07-2009, 01:43 AM
You're pregnant?? O.O

Congrats!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-07-2009, 02:22 AM
You're pregnant?? O.O

Congrats!

Me!?! Oh, my, no! I'm WAY too ol-- well... uh... these days, I guess I'm really NOT too old to get pregnant, so I can't really act all that shocked... but no, I'm not pregnant. (Thank the gods!) If I were, we'd definitely have to light a candle and stick it in an eastern-facing window so the Wise Men could find me come time to deliver.

In other words... if I were pregnant, I'd have one hell of a lot of explainin' to do and Ol' Boy would be VERY interested in hearing it since the gift he gave me for our second anniversary was a vasectomy!

Skyraven
10-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Mine wasn't glamorous at all so I won't share, but one good way was shown on Full House. Becky told Jesse with pictionary. Cheese 1/2ing a (drawing of a baby here).

Rose English
10-07-2009, 10:41 PM
We had been told I couldn't conceive. So a few years passed after the whole unsuccessful IVF thing, and we'd given up. When I did a secret p test that turned positive it was all just as dreamy and romantic as I'd fantasised it would be...

Or did I screech "I'm pregnant!" at the top of my lungs from the bathroom upstairs, to my hubby downstairs in the lounge who had the TV blaring as usual, and still heard me?

Ah yes, that one. It was a very happy day :hooray:.

DeleyanLee
10-07-2009, 10:54 PM
We had been told I couldn't conceive. So a few years passed after the whole unsuccessful IVF thing, and we'd given up. When I did a secret p test that turned positive it was all just as dreamy and romantic as I'd fantasised it would be...

Or did I screech "I'm pregnant!" at the top of my lungs from the bathroom upstairs, to my hubby downstairs in the lounge who had the TV blaring as usual, and still heard me?

Ah yes, that one. It was a very happy day :hooray:.

What do doctors know? I mean, really.

My aunt was told she could never conceive because her cycles were really abnormal (1 every six months), so they adopted two kids. Lo and behold, after the second one was walking, Aunt didn't feel good and went into the doctor. She was almost 6 months pregnant.

She'd gone in alone 'cause she thought it was the stomach flu or something. It took her four days, IIRC, to figure out how to tell my uncle and then it came out in a crying hormonal jag. He called the doctor who diagnosed her as infertile and called him a jackass and hung up on him.

squibnocket
10-07-2009, 11:38 PM
We spent 6 years trying to get pregnant and were taking a long break before we tried more fertility treatments. Picked up a pregnancy test on a lark because I was feeling exhausted every night. Totally expected the big negative. I broke down in the bathroom, came out in complete hysterics and my DH knew right then. I didn't have to say anything.

MMcDonald64
10-11-2009, 11:37 PM
My last name, being McDonald, gave me the idea to make a McDonald Gift Certificate on the computer. I gave it to my parents for Christmas 1999, redeemable in August of 2000 for one new grandchild.

We always have a big Christmas Eve party, with a Santa Claus, so I gave the envelope to Santa to pull out of his bag and give to my parents. It took my mom a bit to figure it out.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-15-2009, 01:13 AM
MMcDonald64, that's priceless!

Dario D.
10-15-2009, 05:06 AM
The second time, I wrapped the positive dip-stick in paper, dropped it in a plastic baggy, and put the baggy in an unmarked envelope. Then I went to the florist and added the envelope to an arrangement of flowers that I sent to his office.

I'm told the look on his face was worth twice what I paid for the posies.
:D:D:D:D Win.

rhymegirl
10-18-2009, 03:33 AM
First time around?

I did one of those early pregnancy tests. It was hard to read back then. I was single and very, very worried to find out the results. I went to the doctor with my suspicions and had more tests.

I was afraid to tell my boyfriend (now my husband) what I suspected. I didn't know what he would say and I was afraid he might leave me.

The day I got the phone call from the doctor's office he was with me at my apartment. The result: Yes, you are pregnant. I repeated it to him. I think he was a little stunned by the news, but he was okay with it. We've been married for 24 years now and have three grown children.

Shadow_Ferret
10-18-2009, 04:14 AM
I've forgotten how I learned. I'm seriously trying to block that out.

Silver King
10-18-2009, 05:16 AM
A while back I heard of a poor sap who found out his wife was pregnant from her Facebook account. Turns out she was waiting to surprise him but wanted the rest of the world to know about it first.

I gotta tell ya, there's nothing like a woman in the throes of wanting to become pregnant to make a man feel extra special. Too bad it doesn't last much past conception. :D

rhymegirl
10-18-2009, 05:55 AM
I gotta tell ya, there's nothing like a woman in the throes of wanting to become pregnant to make a man feel extra special.

I don't know. After he's heard "I'm pregnant" six different times, he might not want to feel so special. :D