Harry Potter #6 due out Saturday the 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
While I would have preferred this spellbinding, enchanting book of spells and enchantments make its colossal debut on Friday the 13th, Harry Potter #6, in the style of the mother ship from "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind," will be touching down one tick after midnight on the 16th. I, for one, shall carve out a space for myself amongst the sleeping bags and candle-light vigils two hours previous, ready to toss a few elbows and right hooks in order to catch myself a copy. When it comes to Potter lovin', all bets and social niceties are off. Fortunately, the books double as fine cudgels. So, all I have to do is curl my stubby digits round a hefty copy and whale anyone who tries to wrest it from me. And trust me, I'm so eager to see what somethings eldritch this way come, I'm not above braining a 10-year-old or two. Anyhoo, are there any other Potterites in the vicinity. If there are, what's your favorite book so far? Mine, surprisingly, is the first. It's the only one which seems truly English. After the book became a franchise, and even though they were still penned by the same author, in the same Cockney vernacular, they now seem a distinctly American property. Much like Winnie the Pooh. He's very much an English concoction, but everyone thinks of him as a denizen of American imaginations. But Potter #1 is so English flavored--in the dialogue, smoky and pungent as a Manchester pub, in the riotously outrageous imagery: I love the idea of Harry and Hagrid speeding about in a magically-oared rowboat, Hagrid reading The Daily Prophet, while Harry, who grew up amongst, stern, quiet-demanding newspaper readers, tries to stifle his questioning mind; the melding of potboiler with slapdash, caroming imagination--the whole affair reminds me of "Billy Eliot." Or, rather, the distinctly Irish air of the movie, the primary-colored stores, the sense of lived-in poverty, the feel of a land of long-forgotten misfits and cranks, the aura of 1985 eternally fast-frozen. So, while I know Potter #3 is the reigning favorite, I can't help feeling Rowling hit the note right and ringingly on the first plink. But what do you think? What's your favorite? C'mon, I dare yuh to disagree...

CrashGineros

Me either!

Amen brother. I've been waiting for what feels like forever for this book to be released. It's especially hard on people with over-active imaginations. We can't help but create theories as to what will happen...but this Saturday, we'll see for ourselves.
As for my favorite, I know most people will disagree with me, but I liked Chamber of Secrets. I love the mystery, I love the Weasly Home and the flying car, and I love the way it ends. I would say that the first book is my next favorite though.

Last edited:

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
Potter and Pooh

Lantern Jack said:
After the book became a franchise, and even though they were still penned by the same author, in the same Cockney vernacular, they now seem a distinctly American property.

Are you reading the Bloomsbury edition or Scholastic? The latter is, in fact, Americanized.

CJ

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite is POA. It was the first I ever read, and it holds a special place in my heart.

And I disagree with the Americanisation of the books. They still feel like they were written with a cup of tea next to the manuscript. Most of the characters are VERY English; Americans probably don't realise this.

The films are the American bit. Giving everyone posh accents, like the Queen. They were made for the American public, and so will probably come off that way.

Just my two pence.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
OK, I may be stoned to death for this one...

I like the books (and the movies) very much. But I am sick and tired of this mass hysteria. I think something is wrong with our culture when people are hysterical about something trivial like a book or an album or a movie. The marketing is ruthless. The hype is unbelievable. When I worked for Scholastic, they actually took a half day off when the last HP book came out... (well, I didn't mind that) Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that kids are reading and they have something to relate to -- but come on. With all the stuff happening in the world -- tsunamis, wars, hunger, poverty, etc. I wish people would be more enthusiastic about those causes than camping out for a book.

/rant off

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Canada James said:
Are you reading the Bloomsbury edition or Scholastic? The latter is, in fact, Americanized.
I heard somewhere that she went with one edit for book 5 and did the same for book 6. So instead of saying Trash cans in the American version and Dustbins in the English they just used dustbins, since...welll...if we can't figure out what that is then we really shouldn't be reading the books anyway :) Has anyone else heard that?

Oh and so far, I love #3 and 4 equally. #3 Because of Sirius and back story, #4 because of character development. (And for the ever first time, I'll be getting my copy at midnight.)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter loves the Harry Potter books and I'm glad she does. She is seventeen and I'd rather see her getting excited about reading than being boy crazy and getting pregnant.

She has a reserved copy and can't wait for her new book.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Books

maestrowork said:
OK, I may be stoned to death for this one...

I like the books (and the movies) very much. But I am sick and tired of this mass hysteria. I think something is wrong with our culture when people are hysterical about something trivial like a book or an album or a movie. The marketing is ruthless. The hype is unbelievable. When I worked for Scholastic, they actually took a half day off when the last HP book came out... (well, I didn't mind that) Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that kids are reading and they have something to relate to -- but come on. With all the stuff happening in the world -- tsunamis, wars, hunger, poverty, etc. I wish people would be more enthusiastic about those causes than camping out for a book.

/rant off

I don't think there's anything at trivial about books, and I believe firmly the world would be far better off if books created hysteria on a daily basis.

To heck with tsunamis, wars, hunger, poverty, and all other ills of the world. These will always be with us, and I can't cure any of them. But enough people reading enough books just might help with some of them.

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
I ordered mine on Amazon, so it'll come in next week. That's fine because I just got two books from Jim Butcher (Highly Recommend this Author. He writes about another more grown up wizard named Harry) that I've been waiting for. So now I have three to read!

BTW, my favorite is #5. I just liked the way Harry is learning to deal with all the darkness (and politics) around him and fight back.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
YOU'VE SCREWED ME AGAIN, MISTER POTTER!!!!

I went to Waldenbooks in the local mall yesterday to inquire about reservations. The goateed dunderhead behind the counter laid down the weed he'd been sipping long enough to inform me that, despite the fact Lockport, New York is so culturally-backward, only three people showed up for the debut of the fourth film by Quentin Tarantino (the reason I didn't check in on reservations sooner) all books at present have been reserved. If I'm interested in obtaining the 30% discount which accompanies the reservation (non-reserved books cost $30, while reserved books go for $20: do the math, it doesn't add up), I can check in Monday. If early reservers haven't claimed their books by Sunday, then I (21st in line on the wait list) can go in on Moon Day and, maybe, maybe, I'll get lucky. The reason why this place doesn't just place its surplus on the shelf, instead of passing them off to bigger and bullying bookstores, like Barnes & Noble, the DH couldn't say. So now, while those domestic and abroad are eagerly bustling onto the Hogwarts Express, eager for yet another necromancerial school season, I'll be heading to Hogwarts on the tardy train two days behind, maybe. :Shrug:

Honey Nut Loop

Registered
Reaction score
well i'll be getting my copy at midnight (2 hours to go) and i can't wait. I've been reading the books since i was about 9 (i'm now 18) and even own a first dition hard back of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

At the moment CoS is my fave though that opinion seems to change fairly often.

:partyguy:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
HP fans beware ;) :

Pope Benedict XVI expressed concern over the Harry Potter books.

According to a German writer, then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger wrote a letter
in March 2003 expressing his concern that the books "erode Christianity in
the soul" of young people.

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
Paranoid, isn't he?

maestrowork said:
HP fans beware ;) :

And people wonder why I broke away from the Catholic Church.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
HP fans beware ;) :

I'm not going to give a rat's hiney what the Head Pedophile, Poop Klink, thinks about a single thing.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I could only hope one of MY books ever causes such hysteria. It's just so wonderful to see young people so excited about getting something to read. It's a new golden age in the land of children's publishing...

And I'm so glad to be there with it :)

And no, I'm not getting my copy at midnight. Amazon shipped it, and it's sitting in the UPS hub waiting for delivery tomorrow - I checked. LOL. So I'll wait with a mouth full of worms (baited breath) for the brown truck to pull up in front of my house.

Nobody post anything about it until after Saturday, please! Or if you do, please write SPOILER in the heading?

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody...

who doesn't love the Harry Potter series as much as a pumpkin pasty with a galleon right in the center or a tour of Lake Hogwarts on the back of the giant squid or a big, ol' bouquet of Filibuster Fireworks clearly has the combined brain power of Crabbe and Goyle coupled with the heart of Severus Snape and the good looks of Professor Moody:box:

Come Mister Potter and we shall usher in a new age of Pagan darkness and literate children, mwoo-ha, ha, ha, ha.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yeah, the Pope can bite me. Personally come and bite me. I really don't do anything but laugh at those silly people. It's just a good story. Nobody screams about Tolkein's wizards, or Tamora Pierce's obvious use of wiccan symbolism. The Wizard of Oz? A children's classic. Artemis Fowl? A mean little bastid who plays with fairies, and not nicely. Don't see anyone lined up to burn those books.

I just don't get those people. Your children want to read, damn it! Who are you to say no to such a wholesome, if not tragic young man who shows his fine moral character with acts of bravery, by standing up for what is right and has friends who stand by him until the end. The fact that they perform magic is secondary, as far as I'm concerened. Wholesome family fun.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
maestrowork said:
HP fans beware ;) :

Said German writer (Kuby) also wrote a book about the evils of Harry Potter. I wrote responses for her 10 arguements against Harry Potter here:
http://fnproductions.net/

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I still think letting you kid wait outside of BN for 16 hours so he could get the first book is a bit obsessive and unhealthy... wearing the costumes -- oh well, there's Halloween or Star Trek conventions to last his lifetime...

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen the movies and I haven't read the books.

But I LOVE to harass my son about 'Hairy Possum'

When he was a wee tyke, just learning to talk, he said, 'I wanna see Harry Posseur'. He couldn't say that -tt- sound, but he had seen the ads on television. 'Hairy Possum? Why do you want to see a hairy possum? We see 'em dead on the road all the time.'

'NO, Mom, Harry PoSS er!'
'Hairy Possum?'
'Just SAY it!'
'I did say it, son. Hairy Possum'
After about 15 minutes, he's frothing at the mouth and I'm busting a gut laughing. Hey, I never said I was a good mom. Come to think of it, we haven't played that in a long time. Tonight at dinner I think I'll tell him there's a new book out.....
(Sorry, it was too good to pass up)

aboyd

Sandwich Maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.outshine.com
So the figures are in. Looks like:

6.9 million copies sold in the USA in the first 24 hours (breaking the old record of 5 million, set by her previous book)

100 million in sales over the weekend, outselling ticket sales for all first-run movies combined for the weekend.

About 250,000 copies selling every hour. I don't know if that's world wide or just USA.

She's definitely found the magic forumula, I'd say.

-Tony

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.