So you want to be a writer (a poem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searching

Registered
Reaction score
I have found the following inspirational, so I thought I'd share it with you guys. I hope I'm not breaching copyright by posting it.

so you want to be a writer
by Charles Bukowski

Last edited by a moderator:

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, this'll get pulled for copyright.

In the meantime, though -- good poem. I prefer Buk's "air and light and time and space" personally.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Good poem,

and to my knowledge, you can post a poem (of a deceased author) as long as you give the appropriate credit, right?

Pretty sure that's right.

Mel...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Meh--i disagree with a lot of it, but hey, if it inspires you, good for you.

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score

I agree with some of his thoughts, but I disagree strongly with the
above quote. Writing does not come easily to me, but
I will write anyway. I will not be stopped by the
preaching of a cantankerous poet, even though he was a good one.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good poem,

and to my knowledge, you can post a poem (of a deceased author) as long as you give the appropriate credit, right?

Pretty sure that's right.

Mel...
The copyright belongs to the author's estate until 70 years after his death. So no one has the right to post part or all of that poem without permission until 2064.

Mata Hari

Exotic Dancer; Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Are there really people out there like the ideal writer described in the poem?

Is there anyone like that?

I have my doubts, but maybe that's just because I practice writing in an almost completely different way than the poem's ideal.

And here I thought I was with the majority? Isn't there a saying that goes "all writers hate writing" ?

Nothing in writing is natural but the creative aspect of it - the actual formulation of ideas and plots and stories. All other things, like the physical putting of pen to paper, is by nature a practiced medium. Even language is a practiced medium, as are any words we use to express ourselves. These things are taught, and do not flow from the writer's head naturally (we can't read and write from the womb), so there is bound to be some sort of a process and stumbling blocks.

So I think if you have the need and drive to create in your head you can make a good writer, but only through practice, and you must practice in order to be a master of the creative medium.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
That poem seems just as structured and pretentious as what he's accusing other people of.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
That wasn't a poem, it was just a rant with random line breaks.

It would be great advice if he added in the bit about real writers not giving a damn about the rants of other writers.

Michael J. Hoag

"What's-it on the wall."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zamyatin-lives.blogspot.com
Great insight into a brilliant writer's creative process. Interesting, these two camps form in every art. Neither side can see how how the other even manages to exist!

As for me, I agree with that 110% and find the poem inspiring.

Bukowski used cut ups and other avant garde techniques which seem inherently like "revising." It seems he's saying even editing should be done with a purely creative and spontaneous attitude. Amen!

Michael J. Hoag

"What's-it on the wall."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zamyatin-lives.blogspot.com
Hey, this also reminds me of Suzuki method, "talent education" and Eastern attitudes about developing skill...

The two greatest musicians I've known (world-renowned record-setting artists) both echoed this same idea. They said NEVER practice, except when you feel you'd die if you didn't. And then the music should come roaring out of you. In this way, you develop a love of the practice, and cultivate the attitude in which art-making is most spontaneous.

Searching

Registered
Reaction score
That wasn't a poem, it was just a rant with random line breaks.

It would be great advice if he added in the bit about real writers not giving a damn about the rants of other writers.

But you only think it's a rant because it goes against what you believe in. If he said something that you hold true, suddenly it wouldn't be a rant any more, would it?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I agree 100% with the words in this poem. I certainly wouldn't write if I had to think about it...force it. Gawd! Why would anybody want to do that. I don't do it for money (although, I've never refused the money I get for doing it). I had a woman in my bed long before I returned to writing.

THIS:

Yeah. Why the hell would anybody want to force something that doesn't come naturally, like a fire from nothing? Why, I ask? That's not love. That's not passion.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The people who get that fire are lucky. There are many others who haven't ever felt it and would give every sleepy waking breath they have left to feel that sort of inner scorch.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The people who get that fire are lucky. There are many others who haven't ever felt it and would give every sleepy waking breath they have left to feel that sort of inner scorch.

Confucius say, "Blow torch to the belly - not too high, or melt your face."

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The metaphor got a bit Hestonian, eh?

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
What has Bukowski written that anyone who isn't his fan has heard of? Fight Club- and even then we all remember the film more.

So is he qualified to speak about what you need to be a great writer? Um..no. And he comes off as a complete weirdo in interview.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
What has Bukowski written that anyone who isn't his fan has heard of? Fight Club- and even then we all remember the film more.

So is he qualified to speak about what you need to be a great writer? Um..no. And he comes off as a complete weirdo in interview.

Didn't Chuck Palahniuk write Fight Club?

Status
Not open for further replies.