Dishes good for freezing

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
In an effort to prepare for baby's arrival in January, I'm trying to double recipes when I can and then freeze the extra. So far I've made lasagna, piroshkis, and dumplings/potstickers.

So. Ideas for meals that are suitable for freezing?

I'm aiming for stuff that's moderately healthy and also quality... so, not stuff my hubby could easily throw together on his own (eg meatloaf) or stuff we could get easily by just getting takeout (eg pizza). I have a feeling we'll be eating a lot of simple/takeout stuff, so it will be nice to have some more complex dishes on hand to break it up.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I have a chest freezer packed full of dishes.

The easiest is roast chicken or duck with veggies (I put most in the dish, but also cook some squash in another dish). Sweet potato, parsnips, anything that comes to mind.

I've also got Bison Lentils from the crock pot, Bean Bowl (beans, chicken, carrots, broccoli, etc. Needs fresh cilantro upon dethawing), other red meat dishes in the crock pot, Singapore noodles, Chili (with squash), Shrimp dishes, Quinoa chicken, and others.

If any of those sound interesting, I'll try to post the recipe when I have time.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
You can make large batches of soup and those should freeze well. Plus it'll be cold and you might want something warm.

Homemade meatballs and sauce, then all you'd need to do is make the pasta.

Deleted member 42

Lasagne. Make huge batches, don't cook them completely (cook them partway because of the eggs in the ricotta) add extra shredded cheese, after they've completely cooled then slice up the pans so that you have enough for a single meanl.

Double wrap the chunks in aluminum foil, and label them. You can cook them in the foil.

Ham and potato casseroles made with ham bits, onions, potatoes, mushroom soup, sauteed onions, grated cheese . . . .

Chicken soup. Stew. Chili.

Chicken pot pie; again make a huge batch, but use smaller tin pie dishes to partially cook then freeze them.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stuffed buns? Make regular bread buns and stuff them with ham & cheese, BBQ pork, chicken, fish, pretty much anything that freezes well. If you like surprises, make lots of different fillings then throw them all in the same bag in the freezer so you never know which one you'll get next.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Pea and Ham soup - a meal in itself. Just crisp a few croutons for the top.

Make a large batch of savoury mince and freeze it in single-serve portions. You can through a few together to knock up any pasta dish. You can shove it into a pie or pasty case with veges and throw it in a hot oven for fifteen minutes ('til pastry is cooked).
It can be used in savoury pancakes with cheese and sundried tomatoes or with chilli in tacos.