• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Folks, the crash of the database yesterday is in large part due to an overabundance of posts in the forums of the Absolute Write Water Cooler.

Since this particular sub forum is relatively new, there isn't a great deal of extraneous info here, but I'm sure we won't miss some of it. I would like you all to take a look in the back pages and see if anything there merits saving.

If so, put a post there with the simple phrase (or even just title) "bump"

Those threads without a bump at the end of the weekend, I'll delete. And, since the number of posts is the problem, I will preserve any thread with a "bump" post, but delete the "bump" posts themselves.

Thanks
Peter

PS: It occurs to me that some of the older threads are important to keep but that some of the older posts in them might stand to be swept out.

So here is one of those cool poll thingies. Try to reply before the beginning of next week (Monday, 18 July).

Last edited:

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. But certainly it isn't worth archiving EVERYTHING ever posted here: the one-liners, specifically. Until there is a directive from the higher-ups, I think this method will have to do.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
i was thinking about archives, too. and before i'd go and start deleting posts (except the pointless one-liners, i agree with you on that), i'd limit people's signatures to a certain size. some of these things are ridiculous and if you don't keep a handle on it, it easily gets out of control, not to mention requiring a lot of extra time to load a page. a friend of mine own an ezboard, cowd.net, and i've never heard him complain about *too* many posts, lol. then again, he never got near the amount of traffic this place does, but he archives, too.

i'm not going to bump any of my threads. they'll live or die accordingly. (but, i secretly hope someone will bump them. :))

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Poll closed.

Kind of amazing that only twenty of you are concerned enough about prior posts to weigh in on the poll.

But since seven of you voted to keep posts as old as a year, nothing will be done (the SF/F forum isn't yet a year old).

Thanks for your input.

Peter

ps: apparently, the numbers of posts isn't as big of an issue as we thought. Your drivel is preserved. ;)

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
as long as i can show a full-sized version of my book in my signature, i'm good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.