PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember high school?

JPN
10-04-2009, 04:18 PM
I guess I wasn't adventurous (read: trouble-maker) enough in high school to be able to answer my own questions. So if you remember high school or have kids in high school or any other insight:

- Do parents still get called into school? If so, how big of a problem does it have to be? On the scale of "not turning in assignments" to "burning down the school"?

- Speaking of which, any interesting tales of pranks or other bad things you or "someone you knew" (wink, wink) got up to?

God, I feel that my high school career was so painfully dull...

Elaine Margarett
10-04-2009, 04:33 PM
In my experience (ahem) parents get called not for minor things like assigments not done, but more likely in the case of High School for behavior/social issues.

Bullying
PDA
Bad behavior on the bus
Rumors over *somthing big that happened out of school but everyone is talking about and maybe the parents need to know kind of thing*. (Like daughter going on a joy ride in a stolen/borrowed car)

Ahh...high school... so glad it's behind me and my kids, Lol

pink lily
10-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Even though I graduated in 1986, I remember high school pretty well, especially the bad parts. I don't think this is the kind of bad you were talking about, though. I had a "problem" with a teacher. He caused the same "problem" for other girls. None of us went to the police in time, and the teacher is still there. I don't know if he is still causing a "problem" now, although he was still at it in 1999.

But that was many years ago and despite my ongoing obsession over what happened to me, I have technically moved on. Now, I have a son in high school and a daughter in junior high, and I know that parents do get called into the school for various reasons, usually if the school is concerned that there is a serious issue that must be addressed.

My son wrote a creative writing assignment that included a "terrorist bomber" and I was called in to meet with the school nurse and Vice Principal to discuss whether or not my son was a threat to himself or others. He'd modeled the "bomber" after a certain puppet used by a well-known ventriloquist comedian. The school has a zero tolerance policy for terroristic threats. My son was trying to impress his friends by cracking an offensive joke. He served a week in detention.

The schools also call if there is a homework or grade problem, although now the schools are connected to the internet through a Powerschool program that allows parents to track their kids' assignments and grades. I admit, I haven't taken the time to use the Powerschool program. My kids bring home all As (with the occasional B) and I am not too worried about their daily assignments.

I would say that most of my "stunts" in high school involved smoking cigarettes in the bathroom without getting caught, or doing drugs on the bus and in school. I am still friends with one person who rode the school bus with me over 20 years ago, and we still get a few laughs over the horrible things we did back then, especially the open drug use. I would guess that plenty of Catholic school kids who smoked pot used a bible page as a rolling paper at least once during high school.

JPN
10-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks, ladies. That's a big help so far. Pink Lily, I hadn't imagined that sort of "problem," though it would bring a whole other dimension into my MC's acting out. How terrible to hear that things like that do still go on.

The story of your son's assignment was great; that really helps me to get in line with the type of things that schools see as an issue these days. And I love the bible-cigarettes. Oh my...

Okay, one follow-up question, then. If a parent is called in, are they called by someone like the principal or a counselor or by the teacher who has the issue? Pink Lily mentioned the principle and school nurse. My MC is currently being chewed out by her science teacher and he is threatening to contact her mother, but would he actually? Or would he need to go to the principle/other higher up?

WriteKnight
10-04-2009, 05:48 PM
YOu can construct your school policy to meet your story needs. In other words, if teachers are allowed to conference with parents - do it. If they need to conference with the principal in attendance then 'require' it. Your call. I've seen schools handle it both ways.

Maryn
10-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Our daughter wrote a play based on what she'd learned in American History about the Oregon Trail. A good half of the characters died. The school called, concerned about her emotional health and what they considered an obsession with death, and we went in for a meeting which became almost laughable. Our young scholar had apparently done enough research to base her play on a real group of travelers and who really died, even using their actual names.

A couple years later, our son had his locker broken into several times, the lock destroyed and his possessions stolen or damaged. We went in about that, too, but even though the school increased the frequency of its security patrols on that corridor, we still have no idea who was doing it. We did learn that not all locks are created equal, though.

Maryn, who can break into your kid's locker in 15 seconds

pink lily
10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks, ladies. That's a big help so far. Pink Lily, I hadn't imagined that sort of "problem," though it would bring a whole other dimension into my MC's acting out. How terrible to hear that things like that do still go on.

The story of your son's assignment was great; that really helps me to get in line with the type of things that schools see as an issue these days. And I love the bible-cigarettes. Oh my...

Okay, one follow-up question, then. If a parent is called in, are they called by someone like the principal or a counselor or by the teacher who has the issue? Pink Lily mentioned the principle and school nurse. My MC is currently being chewed out by her science teacher and he is threatening to contact her mother, but would he actually? Or would he need to go to the principle/other higher up?
Thank you for the kind words.

In our school district, the Vice Principal is in charge of discipline, and the school nurse acts as the first line of counseling before the pros are called in. Your story's school could have its own disciplinarian who is not the Principal or Vice. A small town or private/parochial school might not have as many staffers, leaving the discipline up to the Principal him/herself.

When you are writing, keep in mind, the Principal is your pal, because he has principles.

JPN
10-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Haha, how embarrassing! Of course the principal is your pal! ;)

And thank you all for the input and the encouragement. I'm glad to hear that there's so much variety in who handles these situations and relieved to hear that parents are still called in. Otherwise I was going to have to think of another way to get her mother involved, because what teenager actually tells their mum anything?

(Though I know there are those who do, of course!)

Cheers!

Wired
10-04-2009, 08:25 PM
- Speaking of which, any interesting tales of pranks or other bad things you or "someone you knew" (wink, wink) got up to?

This didn't happen at my high school, but at the one down the road. As a senior prank, several students released 3 pigs in the halls of their high school. They numbered the pigs 1, 2, and 4. The authorities shut down the school and spent all day looking for pig number 3.

In my high school, a student released several hundred crickets in the student center. That was not nearly as funny as the pig prank, especially for those of us who can't stand bugs. I don't think I went into the student center for the rest of the year.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Yes, parents still get called in.

Damnit.

One of the problems of having intelligent, creative children is the stupid, creative crap they get up to when they're supposed to be studying. I'm still amazed at how much trouble my daughter got into her senior year--and this is coming from a women who was suspended from her own graduation. And I was the valedictorian.

But where I used chemistry class to make a stink bomb that caused the evacuation of the entire school when it was put into the air-conditioning ducts or let a cow loose in the commons area of the cross-town rivals over the weekend before we played them in football, my kid got in trouble for texting test answers to her friend across the room in Spanish class.

*sigh*

Kids these days...no imagination...

Shakesbear
10-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Fascinating! I'm from across the pond and went to an old fashioned Grammar School. Trouble came in battalions when Maria (not her real name) threw a lighted cigarette out of our common room window when out head of year made an unexpected visit. Sadly the ciggie landed on the head teacher who just happened to be standing under the window! On April Fools Day we tied all the teachers cars up - the rope when through handles and round wheels. We did not get into any trouble for that as I think we used it as a fund raiser for a school charity.

The daftest thing - the whole cast of 1066 And All That walked across the main road, in full costume, to the local burger bar. Two buses nearly crashed. We were in trouble not because of the mayhem we caused but because it was raining and the costumes got wet!

~*Kate*~
10-04-2009, 09:55 PM
This didn't happen at my high school, but at the one down the road. As a senior prank, several students released 3 pigs in the halls of their high school. They numbered the pigs 1, 2, and 4. The authorities shut down the school and spent all day looking for pig number 3.

In my high school, a student released several hundred crickets in the student center. That was not nearly as funny as the pig prank, especially for those of us who can't stand bugs. I don't think I went into the student center for the rest of the year.

That's too funny-- we had three kids get arrested because they set chickens loose in the lobby of our rival school (which is in a town where Tyson Foods is headquartered). I believe they were charged with animal cruelty. We wore KFC buckets on our heads at games for years until someone decided it was too mean. :rolleyes:

Another year, a boy put on a mask, a cape and a Speedo and went on a streaking mission during the rival school's band performance at the big football game. That prank ended several arrests, including our vice principal b/c there was some kind of scuffle. The cops chased another kid through the stands and tackled him right in front of me-- I think they broke his nose.

Legend has it that one year, some kids rented a helicopter and sprinkled purple confetti on the other school while blasting "Purple Haze" (obviously my HS colors were purple and white). But I've never seen proof of that one.

pink lily
10-05-2009, 01:32 AM
Speaking of which, any interesting tales of pranks or other bad things you or "someone you knew" (wink, wink) got up to?
I remember that at school dances, people would perform pranks, such as marriage ceremonies for unsuspecting Freshmen, or handcuffing them to pipes on the wall. One year, someone put Nair in a girl's hair, resulting in the victim dropping out and the culprit being expelled. After that, most of the hair damage pranks used eggs.

At the less rowdy dances, guys on the football team would lead out the eldest teachers and nuns (and sometimes priests) onto the dance floor for some dirty dancing.

johnnysannie
10-05-2009, 01:54 AM
I guess I wasn't adventurous (read: trouble-maker) enough in high school to be able to answer my own questions. So if you remember high school or have kids in high school or any other insight:

- Do parents still get called into school? If so, how big of a problem does it have to be? On the scale of "not turning in assignments" to "burning down the school"?

God, I feel that my high school career was so painfully dull...

I both remember high school quite well (even though I graduated in 1979) and also work (sub) at a high school.

Yes, parents still get called in for everything from minor little offenses like too many tardies to more major issues like have a knife (even a little pocketknife) or fighting or flunking....the possibilities are endless.

Chasing the Horizon
10-05-2009, 03:08 AM
My son wrote a creative writing assignment that included a "terrorist bomber" and I was called in to meet with the school nurse and Vice Principal to discuss whether or not my son was a threat to himself or others. He'd modeled the "bomber" after a certain puppet used by a well-known ventriloquist comedian. The school has a zero tolerance policy for terroristic threats. My son was trying to impress his friends by cracking an offensive joke. He served a week in detention.
:ROFL:
Sorry, I'm just imagining what a public school principal would've said about the creative writing I did in middle school. My two favorite subjects were murdering child abusers and overthrowing the American government. I don't think I've written anything quite as twisted since (and what I write now is hardly flowers and sunshine).

Note: I was homeschooled, so no-one but my mom saw my writing. I also to date have never killed or maimed anyone in real life.

/derail

Adelaide
10-05-2009, 06:01 AM
I graduated a year and a half ago, so it's still pretty fresh in my mind. ;) As for pranks, my school was pretty low-key, but someone definitely let some mice loose in the halls towards the end of my senior year. There's always the classic "bad" kids, too. Once, when I was a sophomore I think, some kid poured chemicals from one of the science rooms into some teacher's fish tank and killed all the fish. I think, after a long history of bad behavior, that did it for the school and they expelled him. Kids of course came into school stoned or drunk. I vaguely remember a kid sitting on the curb in front of the school in handcuffs. These were not regular occurrences, though, since I went to a pretty nice suburban high school. Hope I've helped a bit. :) If there are any more specific questions you have, feel free to ask!

Stijn Hommes
10-05-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm sad to hear all those instances were cops were called in to deal with obvious pranks. Really, a school streaker could've easily been dealt with with a whole lot of detention. Especially since he wasn't actually streaking.

While we don't have high schools on this side of the pond, I do remember an instance when I was glad the school didn't call in my parents. I was minding my own business in a lesson when the teacher got a phone call. She sent me to the principal. I was fearing the worst: what if a relative died. Once I was in his office, he quizzed me about a rumour. I was one of the smallest students in the class, and according to the rumour someone hung me on a hook in the locker rooms using the handle of my backpack. It turned into a half-hour interrogation about bullying. The one bully that actually existed never came up. Of course, the entire rumour was false; I never found out where it came from...

JPN
10-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Hahaha, well, thank you all for the ideas and the great stories! I'm not sure yet just how much trouble my MC may get up to, but I'm certainly inspired to all sorts of mayhem now! Hope you all had as much recalling these old stories as the rest of us did reading them. And your right, Stijn... Sad, isn't it?

Worst thing we really got up to was tormenting our rival school, whose mascots were the Trojans... guess what we used...

And some of the usual: vaselining car door handles, filling cars with styrofoam peanuts, having entire classes simultaneously ditch.... those sorts of things ;)

~*Kate*~
10-05-2009, 11:46 PM
And some of the usual: vaselining car door handles

I still have the same car I drove in HS, and the door handles STILL leak Vaseline when it's hot!

Kitty Pryde
10-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Naughty behaviors in high school: getting drunk on the bus with the pep band, seniors streaking in the springtime with "Class of 2000" written on their butts in purple magic marker...i know a kid who waited til his friend's family went out of town, broke into that family's house, threw a huge party, and trashed the place.

This is a good one. We had a chemistry teacher who was really super uptight about the lab equipment. She had a very expensive microbalance (super accurate scale) that the freshman weren't even permitted to touch. The scale part was enclosed in glass, and you had to open a little door to put in the stuff to be weighed. So the upperclassmen took photos of the balance, and then took a photo of a big juicy double cheeseburger, and photoshopped them together (this was a while ago, like 1997). They carefully stuck the picture of the cheeseburger in the front glass panel of the balance. No harm done, but it looked just like there was a huge messy cheeseburger on her precious expensive microbalance, and she had a total freak-out.

Moost
10-06-2009, 03:48 AM
I went to one of the worst high schools on the island so I have to chime in.

Normally when kids went too over the top at my school (pulling fire alarms, starting riots, Nair-filled water balloons, releasing animals) the administration called the cops. If it involved illegal activity like drinking in class or fighting, they usually bypassed calling the parents and dialed 911.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Appalachian Writer
10-06-2009, 04:09 AM
I was a goody-goody in high school. I thankfully changed my ways in college. When my daughter was in high school, they still called the parents in to discuss problems. (God knows, I had to go there a few too many times.) I can't help you with parents being called. I imagine they would be. I teach post-secondary, so I can't speak for secondary school teachers. As for pranks....I've got a few.

cptwentworth
10-06-2009, 04:11 AM
I remember bringing vodka in a 7-Up bottle to school and getting sloshed at lunchtime.

I was in an auxiliary cheer to the band. Many naughty things went on in the band room locker room. You thought the jocks were up to no good, those band members were pure soap opera. We also all changed clothes together in the school buses to away games and parades because there was no place to separate us.

cptwentworth
10-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Pranks: Every year at the high school my husband works at the seniors somehow hoist a 400-pound pumpkin to the roof above the main entrance and let it fall. Pumpkin guts splattered for a hundred feet in every direction and the kids tracking it in the building.

Aquilegia
10-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Wow, our band was the same way as the two mentioned above. Drinking and whatnot. I think it's because we were supposed to be the "good" and "smart" kids and because of that we just had so much more freedom than other kids. We were practically allowed to drink on the bus as long as no one got drunk and things didn't get out of control. I'm talking about "wine with dinner" sort of drinking. Adults turned a blind eye to certain things because with us they almost never did get out of control. And yeah, the away games were what did it.

I honestly can't remember any intentional pranks, though. Well, we played Purple Haze during a DARE (anti-drug) assembly once, but the band teacher was in on that and got called out on it, too. Heh.

Mike Martyn
10-07-2009, 01:01 AM
You asked about pranks? For part of my high school, I was in a residential setting. For birthdays, we would mix up a big vat of everyting disgusting and since the school ran a farm, there were plenty of disgusting things. We called it a shit mix. We would throw the birthday boy in.

The worst prank that ever happened to me was when someone slipped a frozen skinned mink carcass under my pillow. In the warmth of the dorms, it had thawed just in time for me to slip my hand under my pillow as I lay down to sleep. I screamed but it was still frozen in the center so I wailed away on various other boys with the slimy thing and succeeded in chucking it out the window and getting back into my bunk before the duty master arrived. The boys who were still snickering were the ones that got beaten. None of us would have told any of the masters what was really going on. We all thought it was tremendously funny including me.

Well, it wasn't a very nice high school. It was more of a reform school.

JPN
10-07-2009, 01:27 AM
My goodness, the stories you all can tell! Keep 'em coming -- if not for writing inspiration, at least for a spot of entertainment!

(And yes, my mates on the band got up to some of the wildest things, as well... It seems all bands are like that. Something about long practices and blowing on phallic shaped objects all the time...? Well, I wouldn't know: I only ever played percussion, but I still enjoyed a good bang! ;))

icerose
10-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Things were pretty ordinary at my highschool, I stayed out of it not being the in crowd of anything. Kids smoking at the corner, spitting chewing tobacco on the floor of the bus that sort of thing. Condom water baloons. One kid did decide on a school field trip that he'd moon a passing car. Idiot didn't look, it was highway patrol....

Though on that field trip, they were filming it to show what a wonderful time we were all having and yet another idiot climbed on some pretty high rocks, pretended he was falling, lost balance and bounced all the way down. He was a total jerk. The kids who were over the filming of it, broke into the tv room and put it on the tv monitors for the whole school to watch. I don't think I've ever heard the school laugh so hard.

Another kid brought a skunk to school in a bag so it couldn't spray him. When he was pulling it out, he forgot to hold down the tail and got it right in the face. That kid stunk for days.

Smoke bombs in the hallway. Streaking at football games. The only prank I remember happening to a teacher, we emptied her entire desk, hid all her things and placed big rocks in it, then we hid as a class when she went to get the principal. They walked in, saw we weren't there and went balistic. While they were busy trying to find us, we snuck back in, took out the rocks, put all her stuff back exactly how she had it and we all sat there and read silently. When the police arrived we collectively appeared 100% innocent. When the teacher showed what awful things we did to her desk and it was perfect she was furious and the principal was thoroughly confused.

Let's see, really immature things like swearwords tapped out in chalk. Kidnapping the rival school's mascots, banners, trophies. That sort of thing. Locker vandalism, girl fights over boys...

shethinkstoomuch
10-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Let's see...our epic prank was a kid renting an air plane, flying over the school and dropping an army man. Sadly just one, as there were too many people outside.

We also had these giant elephants stolen from the local flea market and stuck on campus.

Izunya
10-13-2009, 03:40 AM

The best prank I know of at my high school actually happened while my younger sister was there. They'd recently hired a new assistant principal, who got nicknamed Mario because people thought he resembled the video game character. Also, the high school had its name written in big letters on the auditorium, which was the tallest building on campus and easily visible from the Turnpike (which isn't a turnpike at all, but is more or less the town's main street).

So one morning people are driving to work, and rather surprised to discover that the school's name had apparently changed to Mario High School. Someone had rearranged the letters.

(What I've always wanted to know is where the heck they got an M? My school's name has no M in it. Anywhere. Did they disassemble other letters to make it? Did they build it from scratch? Was it just an E flipped on its side? Inquiring minds want to know . . .)

The funniest bit, however, is how the culprits got caught. They weren't content with putting the administration in an uproar with a prank that was visible to the entire town. Oh, no. They sold T-shirts. (And were reportedly doing a very brisk business before one of their customers turned them in.)

For the most part, the students treated them like celebrities. A guy my sister knows says that practically everyone who came through his cafeteria line congratulated him. (He was put on kitchen duty until the end of the year.) Of course, my school has a long tradition of celebrating well-done goofiness. My class president was selected, not because he was responsible, trustworthy, or anyone you'd want within a hundred feet of sharp objects, but because he gave a hilarious campaign speech.

Izunya

jennifer75
10-13-2009, 03:45 AM
I don't remember seeing many parents on my campus. And I was an Angel so I don't know what the policy was. ;)

Things I witnessed...paintballs to the walls and doors, graffiti, destroyed toilets in the restrooms. One thing I recall, in our auto-body class, the "model" car got torched. It was crap to begin with, but still. Firecrackers in the lockers were common. Stink bombs in the gym. Trash cans on fire.

Good times.

Kitty27
10-13-2009, 04:02 AM
As a parent,I've been called to school for everything from missing homework to fights. The schools these days will call a parent for anything.

When I was teen-ager,who was provoked,I got into a lot of fights. I have a mean right hook.

Things I witnessed:

A girl who wore a wig everyday and one day in homeroom,a roach,as big and bold as you please,crawled out of it.

Kids spray painting one another cars. Garbage left in lockers. Someone turning on the water and leaving it running in the teachers lounge.

Different cliques:The Preps. The Tommy Hilfiger/Nautica crew. The Goth,party of one which included yours truly. The En Vogues,the girls who wore full make-up and fashionable clothes to school every day. No boys with long hair or dreadlocks. The fast girls,who hung by the gym,openly smoking(considering shocking at the time) and wearing super tight clothes.

~*Kate*~
10-13-2009, 04:04 AM
My class president was selected, not because he was responsible, trustworthy, or anyone you'd want within a hundred feet of sharp objects, but because he gave a hilarious campaign speech.

My husband and two of our best friends won by giving their campaign speech in interpretive dance, parking my husband's '78 Lincoln on the front lawn, and hanging an enormous banner with Mr. Peanut on it saying "Deez nuts are votin' for x, y and z."

Not surprisingly, our 10 year reunion was not a success... and not planned by our class officers.

jennifer75
10-14-2009, 01:37 AM
When I was teen-ager,who was provoked,I got into a lot of fights. I have a mean right hook.

I witnessed a couple good girl fights during Jr. High and High. One that I'll never forget, I was in 7th grade, and my 8th grade friend pounded, I MEAN POUNDED, her friends head into the cement....for giving her a dirty look. Go figure. It was brutal. This was in 88. I imagine it is a lot dirtier these days. Or was that just my school? ;)

But, yea, lots of fights. Some went as far as to advertise the fight beforehand, so that there would be a nice group of onlookers. Specially if it were a girl fight.

That got you sent home, and suspended a few days, depending on the severity. But still, never saw a parent. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

AnonymousWriter
10-14-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm still in high school, so if you've get any more questions feel free to ask.

With homework and assignments, we generally get 3 chances. If you don't hand it in or hand it in late for any reason, then you lose a life. After 3 chances, they usually send a letter home informing your parents.

If your under-performing in a subject, and a teacher feels you could be doing a lot better, they will sometimes phone home to talk to your parents or arrange a meeting to meet with them personally. Parents get called for loads of stuff: fighting, abusive language, under-performing, bullying etc.

Pranks? Well on the last day of the school year, the "leavers" generally play some pranks. But only them 'cos they're the only ones who can't get in trouble. ;)
Last year they put a smelly fish in the bottom lid bit of the vending machine, chucked stuff in the swimming pool, and I'm sure some guy jumped on the roof.

Oh, and someone actually got the keys to the headteacher/rector's car and started driving away. Haha. He didn't drive far though, obviously.