PDA

View Full Version : How to find a NY Times bestseller

Perks
10-04-2009, 03:43 AM
Does anyone know how I would be able to find out if any particular book made the NY Times Bestseller List?

I'm not having much luck with Google, or the NYT website, but feel like maybe I'm missing something obvious.

alleycat
10-04-2009, 03:49 AM
I'd have to go find it, but there is a list online. And an extended list by type of book.

Perks
10-04-2009, 03:51 AM
Really? I'll keep looking.

Perks
10-04-2009, 03:53 AM
Aha! I found one. I think.

http://www.hawes.com/pastlist.htm

Perks
10-04-2009, 03:58 AM
Gah. But you can't search it by title or author. Ugly.

And it's .pdf.

Chumplet
10-04-2009, 04:06 AM
Can you go through NYT archives if you have the approximate date?

Perks
10-04-2009, 04:10 AM
You can search book reviews through 1981, but it only shows reviews of the books (along with any other article that title has appeared in) not whether it made the list or not.

katiemac
10-04-2009, 04:53 AM
If you can get your hands on a copy of the book, sometimes it will say so either on the back/front cover or in some of the reviews.

Perks
10-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Yeah, I know. But it's multiple books for some research I'm doing.

I can Google around and find author websites - they never fail to mention a NYT nod - but it ends up being a lot of work for one small bit of info.

I'm really surprised there's not searchable database.

ATP
10-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Does anyone know how I would be able to find out if any particular book made the NY Times Bestseller List?

I'm not having much luck with Google, or the NYT website, but feel like maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Honestly, this is really a good thing to ask a Reference Librarian. And one at a school/university which teaches (modern) literature courses.

I will eat my hat if a RL isn't able to obtain or readily lay her/his hands on the source you want....

Priene
10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I know. But it's multiple books for some research I'm doing.

I can Google around and find author websites - they never fail to mention a NYT nod - but it ends up being a lot of work for one small bit of info.

I'm really surprised there's not searchable database.

Go to google and put "site:http://www.hawes.com" and the title of the book. If it's there in the pdf, google should find it.

Crinklish
10-06-2009, 08:21 AM
If you have access to Publishers Marketplace, you can search by ISBN and it'll tell you if the book hit any lists, including NYT, LA Times, USA Today and Washington Post.

Perks
10-06-2009, 03:07 PM
If you have access to Publishers Marketplace, you can search by ISBN and it'll tell you if the book hit any lists, including NYT, LA Times, USA Today and Washington Post.
Ahhhh! I do have that. I shall check that out immediately. Thank you!