PDA

View Full Version : Why do you write / read? (three options)

Mata Hari
10-03-2009, 11:50 PM
My university professor said this to the class on the first day:

"People who enjoy literature should enjoy one of these three things: ideas, words, or stories. Which of these is your reason for enjoying literature, and why?"

I was going to include a 4th poll option ("a combination of the three"), but I figure if you really think about it you will come out with one of the options above the others...

Personally, I read / write because I enjoy ideas - specifically the idea of a perfect character who inspires me in some way. I arrived at this answer after some serious thinking. My first instinct was to choose 'stories'.

ChaosTitan
10-04-2009, 01:35 AM
I read and write because I enjoy stories. Alone, words and ideas are just...well, words and ideas. But stories are what entertain, enlighten, and endure.

scarletpeaches
10-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Stories, I think.

A love of ideas just means you think a lot. It doesn't mean the ideas get written down. If you love stories you'll want to get them written so other people can enjoy. Words are merely the tools.

gothicangel
10-04-2009, 01:41 AM
All three for me.

If one is missing I tend to dump the book I'm reading.

AnonymousWriter
10-04-2009, 03:04 AM
All three for me.

If one is missing I tend to dump the book I'm reading.

Yeah, I hate books that don't have words too...:tongue

Ideas for me. But, all three are pretty much vital.

KTC
10-04-2009, 03:09 AM
In a WRITER forum, you didn't allow for multiple choice option! I'm not clicking on one.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Or the real option for me: to find out what happens next.

KTC
10-04-2009, 03:14 AM
Or the real option for me: to find out what happens next.

Ooh. Option #4! I'm beginning to like the sound of that.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 03:19 AM
It's the only option for a confirmed pantser like me. :D

Mata Hari
10-04-2009, 03:53 AM
EVERYONE would pick "a combo of the three" if there was that option, so it kind of renders the question issued by the poll useless. :)

As I mentioned, I had originally chosen "stories" as well, but then I got to thinking about why I liked stories... and I arrived at the conclusion that I like to read because of the ideas behind stories.

I don't necessarily mean that I read stories only for the ideas that they give me, or the ideas fueling them, but that every story is built upon ideas that reflect human life. Every story is an amalgamation of ideas acquired in the human experience.

I enjoy hearing about these ideas through story. No story is a story without an idea.

So maybe this is really a trick question. All of them must work together in some kind of crazy literary loop, and if you admit to liking one, really you like all three...

Damn, maybe I should have included that as the forth option...

lol.

Rose English
10-04-2009, 04:09 AM
Ideas for me. But, all three are pretty much vital.

This is how I feel too. I voted Ideas.

Lady Cat
10-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Yeah, I would have picked a combo if the option had been available, but since it's not I voted stories.

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 04:28 AM
I write so I can score with chicks. I don't understand the question I guess.

Matera the Mad
10-04-2009, 04:33 AM
A story has it all. What's the coice? ;)

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Oh, it's why do I enjoy writing.

I stand by scoring with chicks.

panda
10-04-2009, 04:49 AM
Wurds. :)

aadams73
10-04-2009, 05:31 AM
Story is king. But the other two are close on its heels. I love arranging words the way a florist loves arranging flowers.

Barb D
10-04-2009, 07:41 AM
I voted for ideas, although of course it's all three. But if there's not an idea behind the story, the story has much less of an impact on me. And beautiful words don't make a story compelling if it has no plot or idea behind it.

cooeedownunder
10-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Story - so I can have a few moments of escape in someone elses world.

JoNightshade
10-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Your professor thinks he's clever.

He's missing my choice, though. People. I read to get to know people. I fall in love with characters.

If I have to pick from the list, though, it's probably ideas followed closely by stories. I'll read for either, but the ones I like the very best are stories that convey ideas. But, as I said, even better than either is a compelling personality.

virtue_summer
10-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Your professor thinks he's clever.

He's missing my choice, though. People. I read to get to know people. I fall in love with characters.

If I have to pick from the list, though, it's probably ideas followed closely by stories. I'll read for either, but the ones I like the very best are stories that convey ideas. But, as I said, even better than either is a compelling personality.

Put me down for people as well. To me characters are the most important part of any story.

blacbird
10-04-2009, 10:34 AM
You've asked two relatively unrelated questions.

I read because I enjoy reading.

I write because . . . because . . . . . . . damn if I know why.

caw

AnonymousWriter
10-04-2009, 11:37 AM
People is a good one too, actually. Characters are key.

ejwriter
10-05-2009, 03:28 AM
:roll::ROFL::roll::ROFL:

ejwriter
10-05-2009, 03:33 AM
oh, and i vote for words. (ideas second and stories actually third).

there are so many good stories out there that i enjoy reading, then promptly forget about after i put the book down.

but a few authors (like vonnegut with his ideas and kerouac with his words)... are unforgettable.

that said, one of my favorite books of all time is my fave for its story alone (one flew over the cuckoo's nest).

charlotte49ers
10-05-2009, 03:51 AM
Story, for sure. I can overlook problems if the story being told is interesting to me. I've loved many books that would be burned in effigy on AW because I simply enjoyed the story (sparkles and all). ;)

Mata Hari
10-05-2009, 06:52 PM
I have a new question:

Can anyone come up with an example of a story without an idea fueling it?

James81
10-05-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm motivated most by ideas.

I especially love stories that focus on themes that inspire me in one way or the other.

James81
10-05-2009, 07:44 PM
I have a new question:

Can anyone come up with an example of a story without an idea fueling it?

Not a book, but Seinfeld is one such "story."

:tongue

Mata Hari
10-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Good point! But the concept of Seinfeld stands out because it's the oddball, or at least that's what I would say.

Not every show can be the show about nothing.

Although I suppose you can also argue that the idea is that the show doesn't have an idea...?

Xelebes
10-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Words for me, as it is the best means of communication for me.

Tara Stone
10-06-2009, 05:09 AM
Stories for me.

MGraybosch
10-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Screw your professor and the false dichotomy he rode in on! I read and write for all three: words, stories, and ideas!

Dicentra P
10-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I cannot chose one. I will read anything really well written so words is first but I rarely find something that qualifies for that. I put up with a lot of flaws for a good story, less for nonfiction works even if the ideas intrigue me. Also there are certain times when I read for story alone, and ideas are secondary. Other times a story that does not engage me intellectually also will bore me. It depends on my mood at the time.

Red-Green
10-06-2009, 07:15 PM

How's that working out for you, Wayne?

MsGneiss
10-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I love the stories. But I also love words. English is such a beautiful language, I just love reading lovely prose where all the words fit nicely together to create that warm, sweet feeling of euphoria. Why must you pick just one? I want an interesting story told beautifully.

Lady Ice
10-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Ideas.

If I wanted a story, I could watch a film or watch TV. It'd be a lot easier.

Cella
10-06-2009, 08:29 PM
I vote for ideas, too.

I'm not that good at either writing the words or telling the story (at least initially), but I love ideas and getting them on paper is the only thing motivating me.