Italian Language and Italy Landmarks experts

Mata Hari

Exotic Dancer; Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone on AW can fluently write Italian and would be willing to translate a few lines here and there for me?

To start:

"The shadows in the church are swimming with life. I pause before the threshold, wondering if I should enter."

<the speaker is male, if it makes a difference for noun declensions or something>

Also, are there any experts on the Vatican out there? Basically, I need to know where the Pope sleeps. I hope that doesn't sound as creepy to you as it did to me...

Thanks!

raffaella

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
you could have your character say:

"Nella chiesa ogni ombra sembra fremere di vita. Indugio sulla soglia, incerto se entrare."

Cheers!
Raffaella

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
Hello Mata Hari,
Translating into another language is not as easy as it looks like... You translate the sense of your words, not really one by one....

"The shadows in the church are swimming with life"

What do you mean by shadows in the church? what shadows? statues shadows? clericals shadows? your character's idea of the church' shadows? Are those positive shadows? Is he scared?
Does he see those shadows from outside the church? Is he saying that? Or is it the narrator saying it?

Raffaella's translation is a good one. As I guess it is your character impression you could say also:

"The shadows in the church are swimming with life"

Le ombre della chiesa proiettano una luce propria.

Or

Le ombre della chiesa fremono di vita.

Or

Le ombre della chiesa sono cariche di vita

I would leave the second part as Raffaella did:

Indugio sulla soglia, incerto se entrare.

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
Also, are there any experts on the Vatican out there? Basically, I need to know where the Pope sleeps. I hope that doesn't sound as creepy to you as it did to me...

Thanks!

On summer time (June- Sept), the pope sleeps in Castel Gandolfo, 25km South of Rome mainly, and only sometimes in Palazzo del Laterano.[FONT=georgia, Times New Roman, Times][/FONT]
On winter time, he sleeps at [FONT=georgia, Times New Roman, Times]Palazzi Apostolici or [/FONT][FONT=georgia, Times New Roman, Times]Palazzi Vaticani and those are based inside the Vatican city.

You can have a look in here: http://www.planetware.com/vatican-city/vatican-palace-scv-scv-rvp.htm

Hope it helps.
[/FONT]