PDA

View Full Version : Logged on AW all through the night

truelyana
10-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Hiya,

Quick Query; I have remained actively logged on all night on AW. I switched my laptop on today and then came here, and I didn't even need to log on for once, as I was already logged on. Must I manually always log out? As discovered, it didn't automatically log me off.

Thanks. :)

dpaterso
10-03-2009, 03:28 PM
You don't need to manually log out -- few of us do.

If you tick the little "Remember Me" box to the right of the username field when you log in, then a cookie on your computer will remember your AW password for you and you'll be signed in automatically when you next visit.

You probably weren't logged in all night -- if you don't actually do anything then after a while your userid will time out.

That's my understanding anyway. Maybe the tech-heads can explain it better.

-Derek

Ken
10-03-2009, 03:33 PM
... never log out either. Too much of a hassle to type my name and password in each time.

alleycat
10-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah, it just remembers you when you come back.

I effectively stay logged in, except when I clean out my cookies (which I do at least once a day).

alleycat
10-03-2009, 03:38 PM
... never log out either. Too much of a hassle to type my name and password in each time.
I don't even do that. For this site I have Firefox remember my username and password.

Aren't we a lazy bunch these days. "Why, it's such a bother to type in my whole eight-letter username!" :-)

dpaterso
10-03-2009, 03:39 PM
If you share a computer or otherwise live with someone who might visit AW and post as you, either without realizing or as a joke, then best to log out every time. Just like you would for email or any other site or application.

-Derek

alleycat
10-03-2009, 03:42 PM
If you share a computer or otherwise live with someone who might visit AW and post as you, either without realizing or as a joke, then best to log out every time. Just like you would for email or any other site or application.

-Derek
Yeah, I saw that on another forum one time. The user's 14-year-old son decided to have a little fun with mom and posted all sort of crazy things.

Ken
10-03-2009, 03:43 PM
... yep. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's lazy ;-)

truelyana
10-03-2009, 04:03 PM
You don't need to manually log out -- few of us do.

If you tick the little "Remember Me" box to the right of the username field when you log in, then a cookie on your computer will remember your AW password for you and you'll be signed in automatically when you next visit.

You probably weren't logged in all night -- if you don't actually do anything then after a while your userid will time out.

That's my understanding anyway. Maybe the tech-heads can explain it better.

-Derek

Thanks! That's a useful tip, and very informative.

I hadn't noticed that I didn't log out. As I always log out first hand.

Yeah, it just remembers you when you come back.

I effectively stay logged in, except when I clean out my cookies (which I do at least once a day).

I think perhaps that's one of the things I forgot to do this time round.

I don't even do that. For this site I have Firefox remember my username and password.

Aren't we a lazy bunch these days. "Why, it's such a bother to type in my whole eight-letter username!" :-)

I quite enjoy typing in my username and password each time. Gives me a joy, that I am entering a new world. :D

-Derek

I am the only owner of this laptop, and my parents wouldn't do that.

Yeah, I saw that on another forum one time. The user's 14-year-old son decided to have a little fun with mom and posted all sort of crazy things.

Heehe, how interesting. That does sound like fun. What happened in the end?

Medievalist
10-03-2009, 07:20 PM
]

Yep.

The reason there's a Log Out option is if someone is using a shared computer or a public computer.

scarletpeaches
10-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Log out? From AW?

People do that?

:eek:

alleycat
10-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Log out? From AW?

People do that?

Sometimes permanently.

;-)

scarletpeaches
10-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Oh good Lord.

That's like...cutting the cyberumbilical cord.

aadams73
10-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I don't ever log out--on either computer. I suspect my cat and dog aren't going to sneak in and leave strange posts during the night. They're not so good at typing.

Ken
10-03-2009, 08:06 PM
... even so, I'd still like to see some cat and dog scrawling ^..^
Hmm, an idea for a thread :-)

Susie
10-03-2009, 10:50 PM
I once logged out in 1956, but that was quite awhile ago. :D

Medievalist
10-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I don't ever log out--on either computer. I suspect my cat and dog aren't going to sneak in and leave strange posts during the night. They're not so good at typing.

I wouldn't be so sure about the cat . . . haven't you see all the LOL cats/macro pictures? Where do you think they come from, hmm?

Exactly!

BenPanced
10-04-2009, 01:28 AM
My PC at work logs out automatically when I shut down for the night. At home, I've been logged on since I first joined.

alleycat
10-04-2009, 01:31 AM
You really might want to think about cleaning out your computer now and then, Ben.

;-)

scarletpeaches
10-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Good god, no. If Beep clears his computer it might kill AW.

alleycat
10-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Good god, no. If Beep clears his computer it might kill AW.
No, Mac will decide to clean out the servers some night . . . and that will be all she wrote (no pun intended). "Shiny buttons!"

Just kidding, Mac!

Medievalist
10-04-2009, 04:12 AM
"So what's this button do?"

"No no! Not that button, it . . ."

"Heh. Looka that. That's a lot better, innit!"

"Mac . . . how'd you make it do that?"

"Well, I just . . ."

"No, no. Don't tell me. It's better I don't know, probably. But damn. It works. I got no idea why it works . . . but let's not look at it too closely, in case it stops working."