Not open for further replies.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Hiya,

Quick Query; I have remained actively logged on all night on AW. I switched my laptop on today and then came here, and I didn't even need to log on for once, as I was already logged on. Must I manually always log out? As discovered, it didn't automatically log me off.

Thanks. :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
You don't need to manually log out -- few of us do.

If you tick the little "Remember Me" box to the right of the username field when you log in, then a cookie on your computer will remember your AW password for you and you'll be signed in automatically when you next visit.

You probably weren't logged in all night -- if you don't actually do anything then after a while your userid will time out.

That's my understanding anyway. Maybe the tech-heads can explain it better.

-Derek

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... never log out either. Too much of a hassle to type my name and password in each time.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it just remembers you when you come back.

I effectively stay logged in, except when I clean out my cookies (which I do at least once a day).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... never log out either. Too much of a hassle to type my name and password in each time.
I don't even do that. For this site I have Firefox remember my username and password.

Aren't we a lazy bunch these days. "Why, it's such a bother to type in my whole eight-letter username!" :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If you share a computer or otherwise live with someone who might visit AW and post as you, either without realizing or as a joke, then best to log out every time. Just like you would for email or any other site or application.

-Derek

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you share a computer or otherwise live with someone who might visit AW and post as you, either without realizing or as a joke, then best to log out every time. Just like you would for email or any other site or application.

-Derek
Yeah, I saw that on another forum one time. The user's 14-year-old son decided to have a little fun with mom and posted all sort of crazy things.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
You don't need to manually log out -- few of us do.

If you tick the little "Remember Me" box to the right of the username field when you log in, then a cookie on your computer will remember your AW password for you and you'll be signed in automatically when you next visit.

You probably weren't logged in all night -- if you don't actually do anything then after a while your userid will time out.

That's my understanding anyway. Maybe the tech-heads can explain it better.

-Derek

Thanks! That's a useful tip, and very informative.

I hadn't noticed that I didn't log out. As I always log out first hand.

Yeah, it just remembers you when you come back.

I effectively stay logged in, except when I clean out my cookies (which I do at least once a day).

I think perhaps that's one of the things I forgot to do this time round.

I don't even do that. For this site I have Firefox remember my username and password.

Aren't we a lazy bunch these days. "Why, it's such a bother to type in my whole eight-letter username!" :)

I quite enjoy typing in my username and password each time. Gives me a joy, that I am entering a new world. :D

-Derek

I am the only owner of this laptop, and my parents wouldn't do that.

Yeah, I saw that on another forum one time. The user's 14-year-old son decided to have a little fun with mom and posted all sort of crazy things.

Heehe, how interesting. That does sound like fun. What happened in the end?

Deleted member 42

]

Yep.

The reason there's a Log Out option is if someone is using a shared computer or a public computer.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I don't ever log out--on either computer. I suspect my cat and dog aren't going to sneak in and leave strange posts during the night. They're not so good at typing.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... even so, I'd still like to see some cat and dog scrawling ^..^
Hmm, an idea for a thread :)

Deleted member 42

I don't ever log out--on either computer. I suspect my cat and dog aren't going to sneak in and leave strange posts during the night. They're not so good at typing.

I wouldn't be so sure about the cat . . . haven't you see all the LOL cats/macro pictures? Where do you think they come from, hmm?

Exactly!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My PC at work logs out automatically when I shut down for the night. At home, I've been logged on since I first joined.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You really might want to think about cleaning out your computer now and then, Ben.

;-)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good god, no. If Beep clears his computer it might kill AW.
No, Mac will decide to clean out the servers some night . . . and that will be all she wrote (no pun intended). "Shiny buttons!"

Just kidding, Mac!

Deleted member 42

"So what's this button do?"

"No no! Not that button, it . . ."

"Heh. Looka that. That's a lot better, innit!"

"Mac . . . how'd you make it do that?"

"Well, I just . . ."

"No, no. Don't tell me. It's better I don't know, probably. But damn. It works. I got no idea why it works . . . but let's not look at it too closely, in case it stops working."

Status
Not open for further replies.