The best way to find an agent

tricon7

Adventure writer
Registered
Reaction score
I have a historical novel finished and ready to be pitched. I've had two agents in the past, but neither had any success at finding a publisher for me, and I eventually stopped hearing from both of them - at which point I told them, thanks, I appreciated their assistance (in hindsight, maybe that wasn't the best avenue to follow). Oh well.

Anyway, someone had told me that I might want to go into the local bookstores and find novels in the same genre of my book, in order to find the appropriate publisher(s). However, I wouldn't be contacting a publisher directly, so I don't see how that would benefit me. And contacting an author to find a good agent isn't a terrific way, either (I tried that once; I never heard back). I am going to need to find a good agent again, but with so many villains out there, waiting to prey on the needy, I don't really know who to turn to.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Danthia

Agentquery.com has a great list and search engine for finding agents who rep what you write, but that's only the first step. Once you have your list, check it against Writers Beware and Preditors&Editors to make sure everyone on the list is a legitimate agent and not a scammer.

One you have that list, start your research on them. Read their blogs, websites, Google them to see if anything bad pops up. Read some of their books to get a feel for who likes what. (At the very least read the cover copy of the stuff on their client list). Get a subscription to Publisher's Marketplace for a month and see what deals they've done. (Not all agents post their deals there, but enough do to make it useful)

Then query away :) Best of luck!

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I arm myself with a super-duper transmorgrifying agent detector and walk the streets of Manhattan... or if that doesn't work I suggest looking in the acknowledgements section of similar books to yours- polite authors often thank their agents.
Sites like absolute write...pm authors whose books are like yours...
But the transmorgrifying device is far more fun. You can change agents into donuts or small animals or um....never mind I have to feed my agents er...cats now...

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Agentquery.com has a great list and search engine for finding agents who rep what you write, but that's only the first step. Once you have your list, check it against Writers Beware and Preditors&Editors to make sure everyone on the list is a legitimate agent and not a scammer.

One you have that list, start your research on them. Read their blogs, websites, Google them to see if anything bad pops up. Read some of their books to get a feel for who likes what. (At the very least read the cover copy of the stuff on their client list). Get a subscription to Publisher's Marketplace for a month and see what deals they've done. (Not all agents post their deals there, but enough do to make it useful)

Then query away :) Best of luck!

Seconding this.

And I'm surprised that you 'stopped hearing' from the agents that had agreed to represent you. Seems very unprofessional to me. :Shrug:

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I have a historical novel finished and ready to be pitched. I've had two agents in the past, but neither had any success at finding a publisher for me, and I eventually stopped hearing from both of them - at which point I told them, thanks, I appreciated their assistance (in hindsight, maybe that wasn't the best avenue to follow). Oh well.

Anyway, someone had told me that I might want to go into the local bookstores and find novels in the same genre of my book, in order to find the appropriate publisher(s). However, I wouldn't be contacting a publisher directly, so I don't see how that would benefit me. And contacting an author to find a good agent isn't a terrific way, either (I tried that once; I never heard back). I am going to need to find a good agent again, but with so many villains out there, waiting to prey on the needy, I don't really know who to turn to.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

If you don't mind my asking, how long did you go without hearing from them? Have you since researched them to find out whether they were legit, or was it just not a good fit? Did you officially end your contract?

Wonderlander

Bird In Flight
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't mind my asking, how long did you go without hearing from them? Have you since researched them to find out whether they were legit, or was it just not a good fit? Did you officially end your contract?

You need to do this. You also really need a list of the publishers that they submitted it to.