Stargate Universe [SPOILERS]

nahalwi

Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone else happen to catch the premiere this week? I was kind of skeptical, but the commercials looked like it would be interesting.

I really really enjoyed it. Had a much darker tone to it and the acting is well done. A few predictable moments, but it left me wanting to watch more. Thank god SyFy shows repeats a lot so I can still get my Dollhouse first.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet, but the previews looked nothing special to me.

IMO, SG-1 was just the shit. Loved loved loved that series.

Everything else, is just a copy of a copy.

I'll give it a look on On-Demand this weekend. But i'm skeptical.

Mel...

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I saw it, a mix of Stargate Atlantis and Star Trek Voyager. A bit 'meh' so far.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought it would be.

You know:

wow, cool a stargate + oh shit how do we get home = Stargate Universe

Mel...

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I agree that it was a mixture of those two and I saw elements of Battlestar Galactica.

I wasn't much impressed. Especially given the number of commercials in the bloody thing. I'm a die hard Stargate fan, I will keep watching. Sometimes these things get better. I didn't like Atlantis at first but I love now. Have every Stargate version on DVD.

So, I'll tune in to see if it improves. But they better not keep up with the BSG influences or I'm tuning out. Oh and were is the Stargate theme? Bleck. People and changing what doesn't need fixing. BAH!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
The first 2 episodes plus an "access all areas" behind-the-scenes extra air in the UK on Tues 6th (Sky 1, from 8pm), we'll be watching.

-Derek

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
It's already up on Hulu. Haven't watched it yet but plan to maybe later today.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking more a mix of Atlantis and Lost in Space (they even have their own Dr. Smith kind of character).

The show was so-so. Meh.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I was thinking more a mix of Atlantis and Lost in Space (they even have their own Dr. Smith kind of character).

I found myself hoping that guy would DIE. LOL. Or that they would use the stones and send Rodney or Sam or ANYONE else to inhabit his body, solve the problem, and get them home.

Of course, that would wrap the whole series. Oopps. :Shrug:

But I was actually with those who were going, "Hey, it's Stargate's version of Voyager."

And yeah, on the Jack comment. My thought was RDA needs a diet. <sigh> It's hell when our heroes get old on us.

(Okay, RDA isn't alone - I need one, too. I'm with you, Richard. <sigh>)

:)

Susan G.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
And of course an element of "The Last Starfighter" with the using a computer game to find one of the characters.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
So,

I saw Stargate Universe and I have to say that compared to all the other StarGates, this is very underwhelming.

Its like a rehash of a rehash of a rehash.

The old, "We gotta find a way home" plotline. Similarly, since they really have no antagonist yet, the plotline spends half the time making the various characters into antagonists.

I seriously doubt if this thing lasts more than a season. Well, maybe, but it will have a seriously hard time living up to its predecessors.

Mel...

Last edited:

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I too was underwhelmed by SGU. They hyped Lou Diamond Phillips and I didn't see him.
The wierd doctor trying to take charge is supposed to be like? As far as I could see, he spent more time telling everybody what couldn't be done than what could. The computer kid/whiz is agood possibility of replacing that whining doctor on SG Atlantic (Rodney something) but needs to step up and assert himself.
The lieutenant is trying to be the LTC on Atlantis and I'm not too thrilled with the colonel.
And, I don't see the female interest, unless it's the Senator's daughter.

All in all - I'll watch it as there's so little good/interesting stuff on the boob tube these days but I don't expect it to get decent ratings or last much longer than some of the Star Trek spinoffs.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I too was underwhelmed by SGU. They hyped Lou Diamond Phillips and I didn't see him.

I think he was a fighter pilot who got taken out in the attack. Gotta love that. 30 seconds on the screen, a series-time on the credits.

:Shrug:

Susan G.

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
I dvr'd it and still haven't watched. The previews haven't looked too interesting, but after reading comments here, it sounds like my initial assessment off the trailers--Stargate version of STV and BSG rolled together--is confirmed. I have no interest in any show like that.

SG1 was the best (through season 8 anyway).

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I think he was a fighter pilot who got taken out in the attack. Gotta love that. 30 seconds on the screen, a series-time on the credits.

:Shrug:

Susan G.

He was the Colonel on the base, who didn't go through the gate. One must assume he will show up more later. Otherwise he would have been listed as a guest rather than a series regular. He was the reason I watched also. Didn't get much screen time. Off topic: did you see him without a shirt a couple years ago on (I think) Numb3rs? Totally ripped, and in his late forties.

MM

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
You know., If they feel the need to cannibalize/copy a show, instead of Stargate, why not bring back Sliders.

God, I loved that show. It had a great sorta Stargate feel to it. And you can do so much with the various parallel earths.

sliders.jpg

It's been about 10 years since the series if memory serves and I don't think they ever did another version.

Anyways, if you are going to go this route, instead of sticking with a show that has been mined to death, why not revisit a show that the new generation hasn't seen.

Mel...

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I liked it, so far so good.

PS - for UK viewers... looks like you can watch the episodes online via sky.com -- I found them under Sky Player > Entertainment. Sky members can sign in for free viewing, non-members have to pay £1.47 or thereabouts. (Linky -- may change as promotions change on the sky.com site.)

-Derek

Last edited:

S.C. Denton

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I agree with most everyone's assessment of SU. Dgi I freakin' loved Sliders. I just finished watching it thru on Hulu recently.