Love letters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
As an early aniversary present, hubby bought me a book of love letters and it was just a delicious read but it also got me thinking.

Are love letters a legitimate part of the writing world or no more important than the post-it notes they're often written upon? Are they just a good exercise for stretching the writing muscles?

I found this all the more thought provoking - reading other love letters - as i'd written one for hubby a couple of weeks before (and hidden it in his birthday present!) and it has to be one of the most difficult thing i've written in a long time.

So, what do you think of love letters? I'm curious :)

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com

I'd say that the writing of a love letter is far more important than the writing of the next Great American Novel, but I'd be embarrassed if somebody tried to publish my letters to my wife. (For one thing, many of them are NSFW.)

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I love 'em. Love reading them, writing them, recieving them *grin*

Getting a lovey-dovey e-mail is just NOT the same.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
I love 'em. Love reading them, writing them, recieving them *grin*

Getting a lovey-dovey e-mail is just NOT the same.

That's true, but when you live on the east coast of the USA and the object of your desire and affection lives in Australia, email is a hell of a lot cheaper and gets there a hell of a lot faster, which is why most of our correspondence was via email. However, we always made sure to send traditional love letters to one another as well.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
My hubby has my love letters to him well stashed. I would destroy them if I found them and he knows it. Love letters are awfully embarrasing. I would hate for anyone else to read them, though I do so enjoy reading other people's. Yup - I'm a hypocrite.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
As an early aniversary present, hubby bought me a book of love letters and it was just a delicious read but it also got me thinking.

Are love letters a legitimate part of the writing world or no more important than the post-it notes they're often written upon? Are they just a good exercise for stretching the writing muscles?

What a lovely gift. :)

I have written--and received--my share of love letters over the years. I used to keep them tied, with a ribbon, on my desk. But times have marched onwards, and the beauty that is an honest love letter has fallen by the wayside.

What do I think of them? I'd rather have one sincere love letter than any conventional romantic gift such as diamonds, flowers, etc.. There is nothing like holding someone's words in your hands. (Hmmm, I'm plagiarizing myself!)

All my love letters are gone now. I tossed them when I found one whom I hope will endure. Sometimes the past only serves to hold us back.

Last edited:

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
Love letters are a forgotten sentiment, and todays kids are missing out. Nothing made me happier than opening snail mail from my Georgia girl and reading letters written in her purple handwriting.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... haven't fared too well with love letters myself. Gave one to a woman in a cafe for instance. Waiter intercepted it and handed it back to me. "None of that in here, and if you do it again you'll have to leave." // ps Sounds like you've got yourself a fine hub :)

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Love letters are as much of equal writing as any other form of writing, because they carry the same universal expression. I used to find that writing love letters about people helped to understand how I felt towards them. Even though they were addressed to them, they were never for them. I kept a journal of these experiences as a reflection of my feelings and emotions, and in a way it helped me to let go of them. :)

Reaction score
What a lovely gift. :)

I have written--and received--my share of love letters over the years. I used to keep them tied, with a ribbon, on my desk. But times have marched onwards, and the beauty that is an honest love letter has fallen by the wayside.

What do I think of them? I'd rather have one sincere love letter than any conventional romantic gift such as diamonds, flowers, etc.. There is nothing like holding someone's words in your hands. (Hmmm, I'm plagiarizing myself!)

All my love letters are gone now. I tossed them when I found one whom I hope will endure. Sometimes the past only serves to hold us back.
And this entire post is why you are my favourite. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.