• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for Literary/Mainstream Mentor

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteSpot

I've long been on the search for a mentor, but I was never really sure how to get started. I'm not holding out a lot of hope, but I thought I'd try this thread and see what happens.

Anyway, I've been writing pretty much since the 3rd grade, which would make it about 20 years now. Back then it was pretty much just kid's stuff like silly action and sci-fi stories. Then I moved into more advanced sci-fi after college. Then about 3 years ago I got bit by the literary fiction bug. At present I've gravitated towards more mainstream fiction.

My last project is a mainstream love story that leans towards being literary. It's called "The Best Light" and is about a nature photographer who travels to a small New Mexico town to search for information about the death of a woman he loved 25 years earlier. He meets the woman's daughter (who is not his daughter) and as they spend time together, a bond develops. If you need a point of reference, think of "Lost in Translation" if you've seen that movie.

I've put up the first chapter if anyone wants to read it for a sample. Go to http://pdilloway.bravehost.com/ if you would like to read Chapter 1. That might help you better decide if I'm worth the trouble.

Anyway, what I'm looking for in a mentor is someone who first of all is a published author. Not self-published. I've heard from plenty of unpublished people and after a while it starts to seem like the blind leading the blind. Anyone who has published a literary or mainstream fiction novel would be especially helpful, but I'm not too picky.

I think by now my writing skills are decent, but I'll let you all be the judge of that. I'd like to write something that can be published, so I'm hoping that someone with some experience can help me fill in the blanks.

Thanks for any help.

WriteSpot

I guess I'll have to keep looking. It was too much to hope for a response, right?

Srresturl

I haven't gotten a response yet for mine either. People aren't too friendly here sometimes...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Keep up the faith, guys. I wouldn't necessarily chalk it up to "unfriendly," but many of the members here are undertaking on their own personal projects. Nonetheless, most mentoring requests don't go unanswered.

Why don't you two post a few pages in "Share Your Work" in the meantime? You'll receive some critiques there that might be useful for the short-term, and don't forget to acknowledge that you're also looking for a mentor.

Plus, if you keep spending time on the boards and can make a couple of friends, they might also be more inclined to help out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.