October JHS

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya writers! Wow, I didn't ever think I'd be able to get one of these started but, here it is.
My goals are just to write something daily and post my accomplishments so far.
As of today's date:

I posted a review at Momslikeme for a kid's play.
I posted yesterday about my blogging anniversary both at The Freshman Writer (happy bday Freshman Writer!) and my portfolio.
I received a rejection from About.com for the Teen Advice guide position.

So, that's it from me. What are your goals for October?

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for opening this thread, Sky.

After spending the first 5 months of 2009 dealing with a family medical issue, I've been playing catch up. This was the year I was going to expand into new markets, etc. and significantly increase my writing income. I've had some success, but am now looking to 2010 to achieve those goals. Having said that, this month I'm shooting for:

• Continuing new co-blogging gig. Started last month and doing Oct. as another guest blogger month.(See link below)
  • Finally had word ("contract is in the mail") that I'm doing a monthly column in a magazine to which I regularly contribute, starting in Jan. 2010. Yay! Now I have to think of a name for it and submit the first one this month.
  • Going to pitch another fine craft magazine.
  • Going to pitch a big glossy with a piece on 3 creative women.
  • Look for assorted new freelance work, including copywriting, which I've gotten away from, but enjoy.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to create my OCD-JHS goals list or not this month. Part of me wants to, but another part of me doesn't for some odd reason. I'll hold this place, though, incase I change my mind. Which, I usually do. :D We'll see. Lots on my mind, so it's been HARD focusing on work. Usually going into "work-a-holic" mode cures what ales me, but not this time. Again, we'll see what happens.

Here's some stuff I've done so far this month:

Last edited:

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
I second what Nancy said. :) lol. You'll get back on track mama Jenn. :)

Well I posted at my parenting site about halloween fun at the Bronx Zoo. :) I still have to do the two reviews for the parenting site so I need to get cracking. I just don't like writing at night. I feel so drained at the end of the day. And given my day job, its no wonder! lol

Symphony

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to go for the same as September - 15 JHS. I'll be really pleased if I manage to hit that. I'm also setting a target of 100 words a day. It's not huge and I'll hope to do more, but that's going to be my minimum for now. I want to stick to goals that I know are going to be reachable! I've set up my own blog now but finding this amazingly hard - the one thing I thought would be so much easier? So I'm simply going to aim for 10 blog entries. And if I meet all those I'm going to be one very happy bunny.

Good luck with all your goals, everyone.
Symphony X

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.giantrobotinvasion.com
My client has set up a new deal with me, and he says he'd foward my email to another guy he knows that's looking for writers. Here's hoping that goes through, so I can get some multiple sources coming in. In the meantime, I'm planning to expand my marketing efforts by an hour. Three hours writing, three hours marketing. Gonna try this week to expand on the blog (which has been suffering as of late) as well as work on this in-depth ebook I've brainstormed about. Bit different from my usual fare, but worry not-even while I'm trying to make a point, I'll seek to entertain you at the same time.

jenngreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I took the day off from writing yesterday to recharge a bit, and just focused on my family and the house. I found a bunch of photo frames I had forgotten about, so I'm slowly assembling a "family photo" wall in our living room. :) Yesterday helped a lot, and now I'm gearing up for a GREAT month. Staying positive. (hubby's next doctor's appointment isn't until the 20th, so we're staying positive about that as well - they would've called him in sooner if something bad came up in his test results . . . right?)

Katiecakes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twofroghome.com
I'm new to the forum, but think I should jump in as it might give me a little kick in the pants.

My goals:

• Pitch 3 cooking/gardening articles that I already have worked out - one is even written
  • Look for new freelance work
  • Work on my book proposal for a cooking/crafting idea

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I'm new to the forum, but think I should jump in as it might give me a little kick in the pants.

My goals:

• Pitch 3 cooking/gardening articles that I already have worked out - one is even written

Welcome to AW and to the Freelance forum!

jenngreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com

My goals:

:welcome: to AW and to the challenge! I'm looking forward to kicking you in the pants....er....getting to know you around here! ;)

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:KatieC:

My favorite niece is a Katie. I like you already.

No pants kicking from me. I am only accountable unto myself and vice versa or something like that...

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Katiecakes!
Symphony - great goals!
Jenn - we all need to recharge. I know I do given my day job and (non-writing related item coming) my break-up with my new beau. :( Its given me good journal fodder though. I've been writing in it consistently for a few days now. We'll see where that gets me.
I've been referred to an editor by a fellow writer. Its for a parenting site and for pay! Woohoo! Money is nice. I can save up for the ipod I want to buy for my birthday. Have to get it myself seeing as I no long have a boyfriend to buy it for me. lol I have to laugh because I'll cry if I don't. Okay end of spiel and boyfriend chatter.
I really need to get cracking on reviews and blogposts. I've been keeping up with momslikeme just about everyday except this past weekend. So far so good for the month of October. Journaling quite a bit. Other than that not doing much writing. :) Later writing pals.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, how fun! I guess I can say that I'm new to this forum, too, if not new to AW. I only recently started posting here and looking for freelancing advice. I hadn't thought about October goals. Now I am.

• Spend my writing time doing something beneficial instead of writing ridiculously long emails to friends and family. (I do tend to go on and on. You hadn't noticed, right?)
  • Actively look for markets that could be interested in my work.
  • Pursue that alternative newspaper--It was only after re-reading the email I received that I something struck me. The editor I contacted was (hopefully is) fine and dandy with the idea of my own column, as long as my material suits the publication. If what I sent doesn't fit, I intend to have a backup plan!
  • Find that old black & white photo of my mom sitting at her desk at the Logan Banner in the early 60s, have it enlarged and framed to go on the wall across from my desk. She's the reason I was born with the writing bug.
  • Spend Facebook time OFFline and writing instead. My hubby just found gainful employment again (WHEW!) which means I will have 2-3 weeks at a time alone to just write when I feel like it. Boo for being alone, but yay for gainful employment and finding my groove again.

jenngreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
HAPPY!! I just landed a book deal for a title that is really near and dear to my heart - Learning How to Say No - it's SO fitting with a LOT of what I've gone through my entire life. I can't wait to get started! The publisher is drawing up the contract now, so I'll be able to get the project rolling tomorrow!! ::happy Snoopy dancing::

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Jenn!!!! Woohoo! :)
I've decided to take part in Nanowrimo to write a non-fiction parenting book. :) It'll be my first time.

jenngreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Congratulations Jenn!!!! Woohoo! :)
I've decided to take part in Nanowrimo to write a non-fiction parenting book. :) It'll be my first time.
Thanks, Heiddi!!! :Hug2:I blogged about it a little if anyone's interested. I think it's a great idea to use NaNoWriMo to roll out your parenting book - I hope you blog through your progress because I know people would love to see how you're doing (ahem..me). ;)

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I applied to be the Evansville New Moms Examiner on Sunday. I know the pay's not upfront, but the topic is something I love, so I'll enjoy writing about it anyway.

And to keep it easy on myself, I toss out the goal of two AC articles. (I consider these practice.) I know that I need to work on my ending paragraph. My closes always feels so choppy to me.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Jenn - Yes ma'am I will do it on my portfolio site. I usually post personal writing projects there rather than on the Freshman Writer. Though I might do that just to inspire FW readers. (Ahem - you!)
tjwriter - Way to go on the JHS. Let us know when you're live so I can link to your site from my page. :)
I also had to turn down an invitation to a family documentary screening and panel because its in the middle of a work day. I sent an email back requesting an interview with the doctor who developed the series. We'll see what response I get. :)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
It looks like everyone has great goals. I might post some for the rest of the month after I get back home next week. If not, you can count me back in for -- gulp -- November.

Dang, this year is FLYING!!