rationing of healthcare?

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
The new fiscal year did not get off to a happy start Thursday for veterans groups as Congress failed for the 20th time in the past 23 years to pass a Veterans Affairs Department budget on time.

Reickhoff said the only solace — and it doesn’t mean much — is that VA is not alone. Congress passed only one of the 13 regular annual appropriations bills needed to run federal agencies.

Delays in permanent appropriations hurt veterans because hospitals and clinics — unsure of how long temporary funding might last — fall back on rationing care, according to Reickhoff.

On time three out of 23 years. That's a hell of a track record. In my opinion this doesn't bode well for their ability manage healthcare for the whole of the United States. Too much in fighting?

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/10/military_va_nobudget_100109w/

There are currently eight million veterans enrolled in the VA health care delivery system, with nearly six million patients dependent on timely access to quality health care. There are also many ongoing medical and prosthetics research programs that depend on annual federal funding. Historically, VA administrators have often found themselves delaying maintenance projects, implementing hiring freezes, and postponing equipment and supply purchases in order to maintain medical services for American veterans and their families.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfoct09/nf100209-4.htm

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
My husband is retired from the military and the VA hospital is too far for him to get timely care. The only benefits we've seen are prescription medicines.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The way veterans are mistreated by those charged with caring for them is a national disgrace.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
The new fiscal year did not get off to a happy start Thursday for veterans groups as Congress failed for the 20th time in the past 23 years to pass a Veterans Affairs Department budget on time.

This! is what both party s can agree upon? Un fucking believable.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Agree with nighttimer about as much as it's possible to do, in reference to the issue of veterans' benefits.

But back to the title of the thread: We ration health care now, have done so for many years, on the basis of who can pay for the good stuff, and who can't. The U.S. has by far, by any standard of judgment, the highest per capita cost of health care of any nation in the world. And, likewise by any standard of judgment, we are nowhere near the top of the list in quality of care or results. And both those things have gone in the wrong direction steadily over the last forty years or so.

Status quo is not acceptable.

caw

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
The way veterans are mistreated by those charged with caring for them is a national disgrace.
Let's all sign up for the same treatment on behalf of our benevolent government. If our best is failing our veterans, what will average citizens get?

Gov't healthcare would be great if it wasn't run by the gov't.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
As a government worker, I can say that every single new Fiscal Year, congress can never decide on a budget. I'm in the FAA, and from October through about March every year, we're on a "continuing resolution." Meaning, we have no money and can only travel and/or buy things that are operationally necessary. It's frustrating.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aLIc5ABThjBk

This article mentions a study that shows the disparity between what veterans actually think overall of the care they get at VA hospitals and clinics versus the public perception of what veterans think. Links included therein.

BTW, other countries look to the VA for its leadership in working with electronic records. And, as I recall, VA hospitals also train medics for the armed services.

Note further that the reforms bills are not for "government run health care" -- not to own and run hospitals -- and it is a priority to make it pay for itself. The question of annual budget should be nothing like the scale of the VA system. The budget question will mostly need to address financial assistance to those who can't afford the premiums.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I think it's quite telling and sad that regardless of who holds office, congress can't agree on healthcare for vets. They're not doing their job. Most people get fired for that.

Considering the HUGE scandal this past year about the VA losing or physically shredding veteran's claims and paperwork, I'd say other countries should look elsewhere for leadership in working with electronic records.

Oh and my SO is a combat medic. He was trained in house (and in country honestly). I've never heard of the VA training military medics, that would be odd considering in field medicine is different than hospital medicine. I'd love to know if they actually do this.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Right now Congress can't agree on which parking lot to use at the Capitol as I said in another thread. Veterans should get every benefit this government can give them considering their work on behalf of our country.

Unfortunately, VA benefits are so vital to our vets and it's so damn hard for them to get them! The paperwork alone is just horrific.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Ah, re the training: what I'm recalling is an odd article on VA doctors doing breast implants. The justification was that they were getting on the job training. You're right; not the same as medics.

An Iraq vet friend of mine was caught up in trying to make VA claims for a couple of years. Didn't a general get fried over that? What's the latest on whether things have improved on the claims side of paper work?

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ah, re the training: what I'm recalling is an odd article on VA doctors doing breast implants. The justification was that they were getting on the job training. You're right; not the same as medics.

An Iraq vet friend of mine was caught up in trying to make VA claims for a couple of years. Didn't a general get fried over that? What's the latest on whether things have improved on the claims side of paper work?

The VA is currently backlogged on not only their medical claims, but they are also backlogged on GI Bill claims.

Last week's Monday Morning Workload Report for August 24, 2009 shows an increase from 936,690 claims in the pile to 948,611

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfaug09/nf083109-1.htm

Vets can expect at the minimum a 2 year wait for their first denial. They then have about six months to refile (from what I've read, I'd have to look). Some have waited over 10 years (I can dig that up too) and often times, the older vets die before their claim goes through.

Now they can still get medical care during the time their claim is going through, but they have to pay a certain amount. The VA is not "free" for all veterans. It depends on the vet's rating and tier level. The system is flawed on an epic scale. It is an adversarial system when it should not be. Many vets eventually just give up (like mine did until I helped with the filing) or lawyer up.

It's a sad chapter in this nation's history. We have charged the VA with paying a debt we all owe and they aren't making good on it.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I Googled "Eric Shinseki" and "veterans" and here's what came up:

The Department of Veterans Affairs will issue emergency checks today to thousands of student veterans stuck in a nationwide backlog of payments for books, housing and tuition under the new GI Bill.

Since May 1, nearly 290,000 veterans have applied to determine eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill's enhanced educational benefits, but so far only about 34,000 — less than 12 percent — have received money from the government, VA statistics show.

The delays represent a major setback for a program that launched with great fanfare Aug. 1. Now veterans groups warn the VA's fumbling of the new GI Bill could ruin the agency's reputation among America's newest generation of veterans.

VA officials had promised that eligible veterans enrolled in classes this fall would get their checks by Oct. 1.

The department hired 760 claims processors, kept regional offices open on Sundays and mandated overtime to reduce the backlog. But it wasn't enough.

Starting today, veterans can apply online at www.va.gov or go to one of VA's 57 regional benefit offices with a photo ID and a course schedule, admission letter or enrollment verification letter to request advance payment of up to $3,000.

“We understand that the delay is unacceptable and that's why (Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki) took this immediate action to make sure that students are able to focus on their studies instead of their financial burdens,” VA spokeswoman Katie Roberts said in a telephone interview from Washington, D.C.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6648109.html

I attended college and bought my home with GI Bill benefits and while I would never say I "deserved" it for serving my country, I was damn glad to get it and grateful it was made available to me.

I feel for the guys and gals who have to deal with the numbing bureaucracy and a do-nothing Congress that regardless of which party is running it, only pays lip service to meeting the needs of veterans.

Here's an article from Newsweek about PTSD and the VA's plans to address it.

Last edited:

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
These plans on address PSTD are not terribly new and they are working for some. But, PTSD being what it is, I'm pessimistic especially after their unbelievable need to address Chris' other injuries while overlooking his PTSD. Hell, we have a sleep apnea machine in the closet that we told them he didn't want or need. Tried to give it back, because I know it's costing them since it's from a private office, but they said keep it.

He doesn't have sleep apnea. He has crushing nightmares.

The EDMR is an interesting technique, but it didn't work for Chris, nor did the huge bag of pills.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
On time three out of 23 years. That's a hell of a track record. In my opinion this doesn't bode well for their ability manage healthcare for the whole of the United States. Too much in fighting?

To play devil's advocate:
The VA has to first get money from the Fed who has their own budget problems and then (I'm not sure) might have to get it approved through the Pentagon which is another bottleneck.

Also to be fair from the standpoint of a retired Physician, Medicare and Medicaid were easier to deal with than the private companies whose meandering rules were so bizarre that they essentially require you to hire an extra person just to deal with and figure out their peculiarities.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Right now Congress can't agree on which parking lot to use at the Capitol as I said in another thread. Veterans should get every benefit this government can give them considering their work on behalf of our country.

Unfortunately, VA benefits are so vital to our vets and it's so damn hard for them to get them! The paperwork alone is just horrific.

Bolding mine.

I wonder it it's an ego thing? Maybe they all think along these lines:

"Well, I was elected to fight for the rights of my constituents/lobbyists/buddies so I'd better prove that I'm a good fighter and never back down, even if it's something as stupid as parking. That'll show everybody how tough I am and those guys on the other side of the aisle will be afraid to mess with me!

Last edited:

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The VA has to first get money from the Fed who has their own budget problems and then (I'm not sure) might have to get it approved through the Pentagon which is another bottleneck.

Also to be fair from the standpoint of a retired Physician, Medicare and Medicaid were easier to deal with than the private companies whose meandering rules were so bizarre that they essentially require you to hire an extra person just to deal with and figure out their peculiarities.

An article somewhere recently gave a figure of $70,000 a year for a typical doctor's practice to cover the cost of paperwork. How does that compare to malpractice insurance, I wonder?

Considering laws about companies cooperating for their mutual benefit, I wonder if ins companies would have been motivated to standardize their forms and procedures, if not for such restrictions.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
On the VA backlog - I've dealt with similar paperwork issues in the past, and throwing bodies and overtime at it never fixes the problem. If you don't know why it takes so long to process, and no one is accountable for claims being processed, it only makes you look busy.

Again, government agencies deal with inefficiency by layering on more inefficiency but not looking at root causes. Treating symptoms, not the disease.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Private healthcare would be great if it wasn't run by the insurance companies.

And there in lies the sticky. We can't seem to find anyone who's willing to deal with the headaches without personal agendas to make sure everyone gets what they need.

I don't think the DoD has anything to do with the VA. From my own experience, they keep vets and active military very separate.

My own personal issue with the VA - yes, they irritate me beyond my limits some days and others they're so helpful it's like dealing with Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde - is the fact that since they are a government institution they feel that whatever they do is fine. When they were called on cases taking 10 years their attitude is we'll get to it when we get to it. That's what I fear most for this country going to a system similar to this one.

While we examine other country's systems of healthcare, we really need to examine our VA system. Maybe mistakes could be avoided from the beginning instead of being covered up later.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfoct09/nf100109-1.htm

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfjun09/nf062209-1.htm

I usually don't post links to VAWatchdog, I try to go right the linked source from their site, but there are so many news stories about mistakes and coverups and funding issues, it's hard to choose which are the most important.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
On the VA backlog - I've dealt with similar paperwork issues in the past, and throwing bodies and overtime at it never fixes the problem. If you don't know why it takes so long to process, and no one is accountable for claims being processed, it only makes you look busy.

Again, government agencies deal with inefficiency by layering on more inefficiency but not looking at root causes. Treating symptoms, not the disease.

But they didn't throw bodies or overtime at the backlog. They shredded claims and made them go away. Many veterans didn't understand how important it was to not send originals, so their claims are irretrievable. If you can't prove it in paperwork, you can't get benefits.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I worked at a MTF (Military hospital) and we had the VA 'renting' clinic space within our building. However, the VA didn't fall under the administration of the MTF except as a tenant. The hospitals are separate entities as are the services.

According to JCAHO standards, the VA, as our tenant, was expected to meet the same standards as the MTF.

I also recall other VA personnel attending the same MEDDAC conferences I attended.

One thing the VA has done well is its development of Patient Safety programs. Patient Safety programs were begun in VA hospitals and moved into the civilian sector. Whether they carry through with them effectively is another matter and one each individual treatment facility and clinic throughout the country has to do on its own (military or civilian).