Don't quit your day job. Really.

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
I just got back from a test that was administered by the human resources department for a city job. It's a 20 hour a week job with no benefits. Apparently, as told by the administrator, I am up against 350 applicants. Word?

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been out looking since March and haven't received one call back yet.

It's brutal out there right now.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've had the same job for the past 13 years. I've just changed working sites. I don't love my day job but it pays the bills. I hope you all get work soon.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Well, none of you probably want to hear this, but start looking at different avenues of work, like maybe stuff you never considered before.

My wife applied to the zoo back in february, and got hired right away, because she had unique qualifications. And she even mostly likes it too :)

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I just got back from a test that was administered by the human resources department for a city job. It's a 20 hour a week job with no benefits. Apparently, as told by the administrator, I am up against 350 applicants. Word?
Word.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Well, none of you probably want to hear this, but start looking at different avenues of work, like maybe stuff you never considered before.

My wife applied to the zoo back in february, and got hired right away, because she had unique qualifications. And she even mostly likes it too :)

Man, I'd give my third finger on my left hand for a job in the zoo. It's second on my dream job list...right after bookstore. (As soon as I become a millionaire.)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Just keep an eye out for the elephants.

I never felt as safe in a den of elephant as I did the day I rode one. When you're on top of something that big, you'll never step in shit.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I never felt as safe in a den of elephant as I did the day I rode one.

That's the truth. I count riding an elephant as one of the most magical experiences of my life. Riding a camel, not so much.

But elephants...they know.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That's the truth. I count riding an elephant as one of the most magical experiences of my life. Riding a camel, not so much.

But elephants...they know.

I really loved riding an elephant. It was magic. They're so calm and knowing.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.

This is actually very sound advice. I've also expanded my thinking but I'm still not getting any bites. As for now, I'm building a business which is another choice. When there are no jobs, create one.

:)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When you're on top of something that big, you'll never step in shit.

Hmm. Doesn't that sound like a bumper sticker type of slogan? Maybe I could submit that to a greeting card/social expression company.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I quit the last job I had because I was so stressed, I was seeing something resembling hallucinations.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thunderbird!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking for a job for almost 1 year. I can't even get walmart to call me.

I found lots of scams out there though. There's money in scams. Maybe i'll start a scam. jk

Life sucks without money for food.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

This is actually very sound advice. I've also expanded my thinking but I'm still not getting any bites. As for now, I'm building a business which is another choice. When there are no jobs, create one.

:)

The only things I haven't applied for are things I know I'm really unsuited for, like accounting. Actually, the odder the job, the more likely I am to apply.

I'm going to be putting some of my fabric arts stuff up on Etsy and seeing if I can get any bites in local boutiques, but that's not enough to pay the bills. I'll keep looking for whatever comes my way.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
*350*
I remember getting the same number when I was looking for a programming job out of school...in 2003. When the economy was not great, but considerably better than it is now. When unemployment was a tiny fraction of what it is now.
At least my job is so boring I have plenty of time to study for re-certification, or crit or send resumes online or whatever. Got nothing to lose, you know?

PS @KTC - I loved working at a bookstore. If they doubled my pay, I would work there until I retired. I completely support thinking outside the box regarding your career - make a niche!

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
word.

(hee hee. I've never said just that before)

Kenzie

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. I know the pain. I've been job-hunting since June. I'm very good at what I do and I have the experience to prove it, but I've had all of two interviews. Both times, I've been in a shortlist of about 3 people from hundreds of applications. The second interview was just a couple of days ago so I'm still hopeful, but goddamn it's been a nightmare.

And I have indeed been applying outside of my field, for jobs I know will make me want to shoot myself after three days. Still nothing.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved working at a bookstore, too...except for the day I had to go down to the police station and look at mug shots to try to id the man who robbed us.

And maybe also the day I drove my boss's car on a personal errand for him and burned out his brake linings, ran through three red lights, and had a fire engine come racing after me...

But I digress. The job situation is awful right now, and even those who have jobs are often barely hanging onto them, with drastic salary cuts. (Our situation.) My BIL lost his last month, and he's an MIT scholarship guy with all kinds of ability. :(

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
The only things I haven't applied for are things I know I'm really unsuited for, like accounting. Actually, the odder the job, the more likely I am to apply.

I'm going to be putting some of my fabric arts stuff up on Etsy and seeing if I can get any bites in local boutiques, but that's not enough to pay the bills. I'll keep looking for whatever comes my way.
I've done so many things and I'm just hoping things swing around soon.

I'm going to be selling my jewelry and supply inventory on Artfire most likely to gather a bit of cash.

I'm also working on the launch of a consultancy company and will be getting involved in the local Chamber of Commerce. I've also decided to go start volunteering. I've thought about the local rehab centers and offering to work with people on learning to vocalize through writing. At least I wouldn't be sitting at home watching the days tick away on the calender.

Art_Sempai

Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
art-sempai.deviantart.com
I'm in the same boat.:cry:
I live in Detroit...it's jacked up here.
Government shut down the other day, WTF.

Maybe the movie studios moving in will help.

I've been looking for a job for almost 1 year. I can't even get walmart to call me.

I found lots of scams out there though. There's money in scams. Maybe i'll start a scam. jk

Life sucks without money for food.