Were you ever bullied?

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
Or are you if you are still in school?

I'm watching Dr. Phil (I know, I know...I can't help it) and I wonder how many others were. I wasn't until I was actually a senior and she was a sophomore, of all things! Her mom was the school counselor...yep. It was so awful and it still makes me sad that I can't look back on my senior year with many fond memories.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I was in band (and did not play a cool instrument, btw), a nerd, massively introverted, from a completely different state than my peers, and my mother was a teacher in the high school.

Of course, I was bullied... :rolleyes:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was bullied for awhile. I developed breasts practically overnight, and skipped the training bra stage completely. So, for awhile, I was the only girl with breasts and curves, and was teased a lot -- and grabbed a lot.

But I eventually reached my limit. A boy smacked my bum, and I broke his nose with an umbrella. I wasn't bullied anymore after that.

:)Smish

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
This is creepy you bring this up... I was thinking about this last night.

I was bullied by popular kids and called names and had horrible sexual... things shouted at me by mean boys in junior high. Then, last year of jr high,it was this mean ugly girl from a drop-out school for delinquents that was set up near my house. She was walking home from her white-trash school as I was walking home from mine and we would cross paths. First she started bumping me, then knocking me down. I was also in an abusive-friend relationship at the time. One afternoon, I didn't behave as this "friend" wanted me too, and she took off home without me, knowing that if I walked home alone, this girl would beat me up.

Lesson learned? Yes. I never spoke to my "friend" again. And my sister told my mom and helped me deal with the bully. Sort of. My mom gave me a ride home from school the last week. It was the end of the year, and my bully probably flunked out or went to prison so I never saw her again.

I think I learned about the nature of friendship. I understood boy/girl abuse, but hadn't realised my friend wasn't a real friend. She was controlling and manipulative and I was well shed of her. She spent the rest of her school years without any close friends. So did I,but at least I was no longer at someone else's beck and call.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I was bullied, yes. Older boys in my neighborhood, older boys on the bus, and a group of crude boys in the history building. The girls just stole my purse a lot.

There was even one little twerp in my teeny private school for a couple of years. Seriously, we hardly had enough kids for there to be bullies.

I had a lot of frends, too. Bullying just seemed like death or taxes.

The group of guys scared me though. Unfortunately, they scared the teachers in that building, too, so I knew it could turn really bad at any moment.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
My first instance of being bullied occurred in 1st grade.

A big kid sat in back of me and would constantly call me nigger and flick my ears and hit me in the back of the head. Everyday i'd tell the teacher and every day she'd tell me to stop being a tattle tale baby.

So one day, after about a week of this, i'm sitting in class when he flicks my ear again. I raise my hand and tell the teacher and she tells me to stop being a tattle tale. So I got up, walked to the front of the class, grabbed the meter long ruler, walked back to his desk, and hit him in the face as if I were at T-ball.

I wailed on him actually. The teacher tried to take the ruler from me, and I hit her to.

They had to call my father. By the time he arrived I was in the corner swinging at anyone who tried to take the ruler away from me.

My father asked me what happened and I told him. He turned to the teacher and asked if it was true, she more or less said yes and my father cussed her and the principle out and took me home.

I didn't get in trouble. And i've never had a problem with bullies every since.

Mel...

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I went to probably the best school in Tennessee where most of the kids were sons of officials, tv stars, or otherwise just really smart. There was like a 60% PER YEAR attrition rate. So by the time the bullies were forming their bully packs, they eventually got kicked out.

I was never really big, strong or fast, so I got made fun of a bit. I went way overboard and ended up a thug, which, in hindsight is both absurd, and embarassing.

If theres one thing I miss about high school its... Wait, fuck high school. I didn't even go to my 10 year reunion.

ps. I was voted most likely to commit a felony in my senior yearbook.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I become 'the very first!!!' (whoo hoo!) from my High School
to send my reunion committee a cease and desist order.

I'm in control now,
and I choose not to think about it.

Thank you therapy.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Regularly at school, being the only non "white" girl there. I got used to it. I think it also helped that I had two brothers on the county rugby team, people usually got a lot more respectful after they heard that. A lot of it was pretty innocent though, general cultural ignorance. Like in Religious Education classes I was always the person to ask, whether the religion was Islam, Bhuddism, Shikism or once even Judaism.

There is still a vein of nasty racism that makes me feel really uncomfortable though.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I was.

I couldn't do much about it back then but I wrote a book about it a few years ago.

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
Great timing. I'm being harassed to attend my h.s. reunion this weekend. I wasn't really bullied, but I do have many memories that leave me hating h.s.!!

Kelly- cease and desist LMAO...

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I was, and it left some lasting scars that interfere with social interaction. People get wierd when you just *have* to sit in the corner so you'll feel safe and run like a scared chicken when somebody smiles at you.

On the other hand, it helped me grow a back bone, so thanks bullies. You made me mean. that was helpful.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
High school reunions are for people with fuckall to show for their current pathetic life.

(basically)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Actually, no I wasn't. People tried, but I had a bit of an attitude.

Must have had something to do with being a real, honest-to-goodness, down to earth Euro-style punker in Tennessee when cowboy was still in fashion. At any rate, the biggest trouble I got into while in school (aside from the stink bomb in the air conditioning ductwork gag that earned me the dubious privilege of being the only valedictorian in the state suspended for her graduation) was the day the local hoods decided to call my older brother a fag.

Although he didn't need my help (he was six three, 180 at the time and a wrestler while I weighed in at about 110) I decided to teach them a lesson. Fortunately, my brother bailed me out. I think it cost my parents a few hundred bucks to replace the tooth.

*shrug*

So no--I wasn't bullied, but I didn't put up with bullying either.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In grade school I was six inches taller than everyone, wore giant glasses and had an older mother that dressed me twenty years behind the fashion trends. What do you think? The only thing that saved my arse was sports. The mean boys weren't too mean to me because they always wanted me to play on their teams. The girls however...a cruel lot.

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
High school reunions are for people with fuckall to show for their current pathetic life.

(basically)

Yes, from what I can tell, it seems to be a very specific group of ppl that are going and the outskirts "kids" are begging me to help even it out.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I won't win many points for saying this, but unless you stand up to bullies, you're likely to cower from any form of intimidation for the rest of your life. Don't let anyone push you around. Ever. You'll get your ass kicked along the way, but that's a small price to pay for the self-respect, courage and confidence you will gain. And those are attributes bullies tend to avoid when choosing their prey.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I was neither bullied nor was I a bully. I could always hold my own if anyone tried, plus I had a smart-ass mouth that could cut them down to size in seconds if necessary. Mostly though, I was pretty laid back and my friends came from a good cross section of all the social groups. I enjoyed high school.

I went to my five year reunion and had a great time. I missed out on ten years, but I'd love to go to my twentieth if I'm in the area. I went to school with some good people.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I won't win many points for saying this, but unless you stand up to bullies, you're likely to cower from any form of intimidation for the rest of your life. Don't let anyone push you around. Ever. You'll get your ass kicked along the way, but that's a small price to pay for the self-respect, courage and confidence you will gain. And those are attributes bullies tend to avoid when choosing their prey.

*grabs fish by the gills* Don't make me have to come up there! :D

Almost everyone has been bullied at one time or another. I hated it when I was a kid, but it DID make me a little tougher as an adult. I still think girls are crueler *scratches head* (more cruel?) than boys though.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Okay, but........

I was bullied by boys when I was in high school, not girls.

How is a girl going to stand up to boys who are bigger and stronger?

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
*grabs fish by the gills* Don't make me have to come up there! :D

Almost everyone has been bullied at one time or another. I hated it when I was a kid, but it DID make me a little tougher as an adult. I still think girls are crueler than boys though.

VERY true. I've just now really been able to trust my good female friendships. I still like guys better, for the most part. *Exception for women like Amanda. :)

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, high school reunions are like a fucking parade of bad facebook requests.

I saw this one article, that was funny, about facebook. It was along the lines of, "why the fuck did this idiot just send me a friend request."

1. I'm a female, he's a male, and oh look he's single.

2. He's the dork who grew up and founded the greatest newest IPO and now wants to get back at everyone by showing off that he can't decide wether to drive his porsche or his hummer in the rain.

3. The "I have 4 kids", I should totally find you slovenly pathetic childless assholes and post neverending pictures of my little crotch trophies and send you at least one wall-to-wall post a week about how you should have kids and they are SOOOO great.

4. The lesbian hippie pot smoker who now lives in Thailand and shoots documentary films with a "crew" and just happened to remember your name on the last hashish kick and "wanted to see how you were, because you were deep, you know?"

5... you get the picture.

Reunions are all about bragging about kids, bragging about success or showing off whose lost the least hair and who is only 120% of their highschool body weight.

Bone that noise