PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Finish Batman: Arkham?

efkelley
10-02-2009, 02:53 AM
I managed 100%, but my gamer's wrist is acting up something fierce.

I was very pleased to see that there was actually a point to getting ALL of the Riddler's Challenges. The end of that particular subplot is very entertaining.

Also, the Chronicle of Amadeus Arkham was pretty well-written, and I liked how they have you 'deduce' the end puzzle, even if it didn't take many functioning brain cells to figure it out.

All in all, I'd call it a very enjoyable game.

DeleyanLee
10-02-2009, 03:23 AM
We have 2 people in the house playing it (not me--I'm a cheerleader and a 2nd set of eyes) and one finished it this week.

I think it's a great game. Just hard enough to keep it interesting, but not so hard as to make even the newbie player give up in frustration. (The person who hasn't finished it has never played a video game yet, and she's hanging in there.) I appreciate the fact that they got vocal talent we're familiar with and the graphics are really good. I love all the sidebar stuff.

Zoombie
10-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Its a very good!

The only problem is its also a very expensive!

I'm waiting for the price to drop.

Dommo
10-03-2009, 01:51 AM
Pretty cool game, although a few sections of it felt really contrived.

Overall it's a solid 8 or 9 out of 10 in my book. In a sense it reminds me of bioshock in that it's got a good storyline/voice acting combined with above average(but not spectacular) gameplay and setting.

AnnikaHTDC
10-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I loved this game. Solving the riddles was very satisfying, and the scarecrow sections were brilliant. I remember in one of them I actually started screaming because I thought my Xbox had broken!

Shoeless
10-04-2009, 10:37 PM
I went ahead and got the platinum trophy for this game. I'd say it's a solid 8 for people who don't care in the least for Batman, but for DC fanboys, you can add anywhere between an extra 1 to 1.5 points to that average for the obvious love they have of Batman lore that adds that extra little Nerd Giggle (tm) for the faithful as they play the game.

AnnikaHTDC
10-05-2009, 01:32 AM
Even as someone who doesn't know a lot about the Batman universe, I loved reading the stats for all the different villians. Made me want to know even more.

Zoombie
10-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I finished it and it was....

VERY GOOD!

Though...Killer Krock was kinda lame.

whistlelock
10-07-2009, 07:25 PM
You know, I've been searching for a single sentence to sum this game up, and I think I have it now.

Holy shit, this game is awesome!

robeiae
10-08-2009, 04:27 AM
I bought the collectors edition with the batarang. It's still unopened, as it's my son's Christmas present. Good to here that it's a strong game.

efkelley
10-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Though...Killer Krock was kinda lame.

That was one of my quibbles as well. They build up to a big confrontation and then kind of leave it a bit lame.

Still, this is a damn fine game. One of the year's best, and decidedly the best Batman game yet.

Zoombie
10-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Though, my friend kept pointing out how almost every single take down Batman uses is INCREDIBLY LETHAL or at least crippling for life, brain damage causing stuff.

But we both enjoy watching it soooo much :D

OddButInteresting
10-16-2009, 04:12 PM
When I was a young lad I wanted to be Batman. I must've watched Tim Burton's adaptation once or twice every week for a few months, maybe even a year. I also watched 'The Animated Series' on Saturday mornings. I even designed my own animal-themed superhero persona when I was eight. There was no doubt in my mind that when I grew up I was going to be a superhero.

Then my love of Batman wore off, and eventually the Marvel adaptations started to flood our cinemas. My imagination was more taken with their larger-than-life characters than it had ever been with the frail-by-contrast Caped Crusader.

Batman Begins was released, and I figured it was an OK movie overall. I enjoyed it, but at this point Spider-Man 3 was still two years away; the best was yet to come, I thought.

In the early Summer of 2006 a good friend of mine recommended a comic called 'Watchmen'. I'd never really been into comics, with the exception of the Dandy and Beano annuals, but I'd heard good things in the wake of the 'V For Vendetta' adaptation, so I purchased myself a copy. On the first read it only half made sense, but something was different; all of a sudden the superhero felt immediately relatable again. Me, you, anybody could don a spandex unitard and give the forces of evil a good lickin'.

Then 'The Dark Knight' came out, then the Watchmen adaptation (which trumps the former by a long shot). Then, finally, 'Batman: Arkham Asylum' is released in August, 2009. I could hardly believe the reviews: "the best superhero game ever"? Then my brother bought a copy, and I fired it up the next day...

Fourteen years after I was sat on the classroom carpet in Year Three, doodling a design for a superhero costume while the teacher lectured the class on something or other (I wouldn't have known what, because I was too immersed in my daydream to pay attention), I finally became Batman.

That pretty much sums-up my feelings on the game, I think. :)

I loved this game. Solving the riddles was very satisfying, and the scarecrow sections were brilliant. I remember in one of them I actually started screaming because I thought my Xbox had broken!

Defo! Arkham Asylum confirmed Scarecrow's place as my favourite Batman villain. My favourite 'interlude' has to be the second one, where the corridor gradually starts to transform into Crime Alley then you play for a brief time as the young Bruce Wayne.

That was one of my quibbles as well. They build up to a big confrontation and then kind of leave it a bit lame.

Croc would've had Batman up easily if it weren't for his collar. That battle was more an exercise in building tension than a full-on engagement la Bane.

All in all I was rather pleased with the variety of the boss battles.

efkelley
10-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Croc would've had Batman up easily if it weren't for his collar. That battle was more an exercise in building tension than a full-on engagement la Bane.

Sure, Bats can't stand up to Croc physically at all. I liked how he said "Croc's an animal. All you need to catch an animal is a plan and the right bait." And that's exactly what he did, too! Quite a hoot, but my quibble was that I expected a lot more gadget use, clever maneuvering, and quick thinking. Not just 'tap Batarang to not die' through that section. And let me stress it's just a quibble! I don't think it detracts at all.

That said, I loved being Batman. You're absolutely right about that. My father, a 60 year old comic book geek who doesn't like video games, has played this enough to complain that his thumbs are getting sore. I warned him that you can't just sit down and play like an Olympian Gamer. You have to train up for that shit!

efkelley
10-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Though, my friend kept pointing out how almost every single take down Batman uses is INCREDIBLY LETHAL or at least crippling for life, brain damage causing stuff.

Quoth the Scarecrow: "What ARE you??"

Awesome stuff. :D

Zoombie
10-17-2009, 12:26 AM
I wrote a great deal about why Batman is such an enduring and fantastic character: He's the only superhero that CHOSE to be a superhero, and its only his dedication that makes him powerful.

efkelley
10-17-2009, 02:11 AM
He's the smartest guy in the room, but is terrified of NOT being the smartest. This paranoia makes him the scariest guy in the room as well since he's always prepared for just about anything. In an odd way, his vulnerability is his greatest strength.

When asked who you would tap to take down Superman, the answer is usually Batman. :)

OddButInteresting
10-17-2009, 05:14 PM
I wrote a great deal about why Batman is such an enduring and fantastic character: He's the only superhero that CHOSE to be a superhero, and its only his dedication that makes him powerful.

I'd agree that he is one of the only self-made superheroes, but personally I think that Superman is the more enduring of the two. There's something elementally absolute about the idea that Superman represents: that there is hope, in any situation, if your will is strong enough to cast aside doubt and keep the faith.

Both 'Superman Returns' (underrated is an understatement. Like 'The Matrix Reloaded', it was just too smart for mainstream audiences) and 'Unbreakable' explored the concept rather well, so I shan't bother to write-up a full analysis here.

"I hear everything. You wrote that the world doesn't need a savior, but every day I hear people crying for one."

"It's hard for many people to believe that there are extraordinary things inside themselves, as well as others. I hope you can keep an open mind."

When asked who you would tap to take down Superman, the answer is usually Batman. :)

The Dark Knight Returns. Genius!

Ingredients: air-to-air missiles, a state-of-the-art tank, a high-frequency sonic emitter, the city's entire power supply, a couple of grenades, a splash of acid and a Kryptonite arrowhead.

Cost: a few broken ribs, a fortune and a few years of development time to synthesise the Kryptonite (of which Wayne has both).

Zoombie
10-17-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm an odd Batman fan in that I didn't like The Dark Knight Returns very much :[

The characterization was just so...

Flat.

OddButInteresting
10-17-2009, 11:07 PM
I can see what you mean, and to an extent I agree, but I'm more a fan of mechanic and methodical storytelling than character-driven storytelling.

I was chatting to a mate of mine earlier and we both agree that the first Spider-Man film is superior to the second. The characterisation in the sequel was much better than its predecessor's, but that almost rendered the action unecessary. Everything felt much clearer and more compact in the first film; the second was a little messy, by comparison.

You may disagree, but I felt that the shift in narrative format almost tarnished all the hard work that had clearly gone into its production.

Spider-Man 3, whilst far from perfect, is much more balanced. The action and characterisation go moreorless hand-in-hand, like in the first film.

Although The Dark Knight Returns is the complete converse of Spider-Man 2, both of them almost choked on their ambition.

I suppose you're a fan of Batman: Year One? It surprised me that such a low-key tale could make such an enthralling episode in Batman's career.

Zoombie
10-18-2009, 02:42 AM
I'm actually a shitty Batman fan cause I've read almost none of the actual comics.

I...have no idea where to start!

OddButInteresting
10-18-2009, 03:04 PM
I may sound well-read, but I'm really not. The only Batman comics I've read are '10 Nights of The Beast', 'Hush', 'Year One' and 'The Dark Knight Returns'.

I got my superhero education through watching the films, as I did the majority of my education.

BigWords
10-18-2009, 04:43 PM
...And I still haven't finished Lego Batman.

The big question is if I start Batman: Arkham Asylum right now, would I be able to put it down when NaNo starts...

Decisions, decisions.

efkelley
10-18-2009, 11:42 PM
The big question is if I start Batman: Arkham Asylum right now, would I be able to put it down when NaNo starts...

Total gameplay is around 15 hours or so. My suggestion is to use it as a reward after you finish your writing for the day. :) The words will just fly by.

Opty
10-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Great game. I got the PS3 version and it's kind of fun to play as the Joker in challenge modes.

I also thought their conception of Scarecrow in this game was both frightening and visually genius.

9 out of 10.

Zoombie
10-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Can I be the joker in the PC version

efkelley
10-24-2009, 11:48 PM
To my knowledge only the PS3 version lets you play as Joker.

Zoombie
10-24-2009, 11:57 PM
DAMN YOU PLAYSTATIONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

LOG
03-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Playing PC version, love it.

Is there a way to move bodies around?

efkelley
03-26-2011, 02:54 AM
Nope. No need really.

LOG
03-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Nope. No need really.

I think it'd be an interesting tactic, but I can beat thugs with guns up easily enough without :P