My Query's Too Long!

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
I made some revisions to my query letter and now it's over a standard page. I really like it better this way and I don't want to cut anything out. For e-queries it's not really a problem but for snail mail should I:

- S t r e t c h the margins (it's kinda noticeable though not dreadful)

- Let the query tap onto a second page

OR

- Cut even though I don't want to?

What would you do? What would J. K. Rowling do?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful advice.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Thing is, I'm 2 for 2 for requests for more material with the new query (via e-mail). Call me superstitious but that's more than a plecebo effect. . .:) I'll think about whether I can cut somewhere though. I might be able to wrangle it back to a single page without losing whatever's working with it.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who has looked at e-queries for a while can tell their length. Easily. Agents have discussed this in their blogs. And we do it all the time in query letter hell.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing sacred about one page, though some agents say they prefer it, and shorter is definitely better. Squeezing more words in by fiddling with the margins and font will only make for a denser read. You don't want that, do you?

Danthia

What matters most is how good the query is. If it's grabbing agents and keeping them reading it's working.

However...

Longer queries carry all kinds of negatives. If it looks too long to bother with, you can get rejected even before someone reads it. Not fair, I know, but most long queries are long because they're bad, and agents know this. So a long one might trigger "bad" in their minds.

I'd suggest trimming it down. If the hook just can't be cut further, look at getting rid of some of the other things. Maybe your intro para can go or be cut down to a single line. Maybe you can cut credits or your bio (which don't carry that much weight anyway unless they're super good)

And if you really feel it's the best it can be as is and don't want to cut it, send it out. Just accept that it might have some negatives and then don't worry about it.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Thing is, I'm 2 for 2 for requests for more material with the new query (via e-mail). Call me superstitious but that's more than a plecebo effect. . .:) I'll think about whether I can cut somewhere though. I might be able to wrangle it back to a single page without losing whatever's working with it.

Hey if it ain't broke....

I started out with a query on the long side, had about a 25% request rate, shortened it up a bit, got nothing. I went back to the longer version and am getting requests again. It could be the agents I'm hitting. Who knows?

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Rename all your characters so they have names like Ty, Oz, or Bea. :)

Nicole

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Throw it in Share Your Work. I bet you're including a ton of info you just don't need to. I just wrote a query for my novel and it's 197 words. We can help.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all - by popular demand I whittled it back down to 1 standard page. Standard margins and everything. Cutting the address beneath the signature helped :)