PDA

View Full Version : Bad Contest

icerose
10-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Well I entered the CS Open write a scene contest last month. I got the premise, excitedly wrote my scene, submitted it with a successful confirmation through their system. I made sure everything was right, correct format, correct name, cover page, everything in order. I sat back and waited for my feedback.

The second round was coming up fast, only two days left until the next round and still no word, no score, no feedback like I was promised.

They're having problems. People didn't follow instructions, they've extended the deadline for those people, judges are still reading feedback, check back sept 29. Sept 29 no updates, more waiting.

This morning I get an e-mail, a list of people who've gone on to the next round, I'm not on it. There's a disqualification list, I'm not on it either. WTF? I'm thinking. Then there's some notes saying a list of reasons why you might not have gotten feedback. I'm only possibly under one of the lists, they didn't send the scene onto the judge, e-mail here for a full refund.

So disappointing. I thought because I did everything I was supposed to do and that I had paid my entry fee, I got an equal shot at that quarterfinalist position.

Guess I was wrong. What a mess. Teaches me never to enter another contest again. It's so not worth it.

regdog
10-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Sorry :Hug2:

Susie
10-01-2009, 07:11 PM
That bites, ice, but don't let one contest turn you off to all of them. Most of them are run professionally and you have a chance to win. Why not try the free contests. They're very good. Much good luck. :Hug2:

icerose
10-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Any suggestions on the free contests? I don't really know where to look. And I thought this one would be professionally run, it's run by CS which is pretty big in the script world, they run their own expo and everything, but this was an absolute cluster fuck. At least for me. I'm sure not every contestant got as royally screwed as I did.

mario_c
10-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Ice, are you doing the Midnight Challenge? Write a screenplay in 24 hours, that sort of deal. The Screenwriters Expo also has a similar contest, but I recall that's for attendees in LA.

dpaterso
10-21-2009, 01:46 PM
If you haven't already, check out the free contests link at MovieBytes.com (http://www.moviebytes.com/directory.cfm)

-Derek