• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need Beta Reader for Light Paranormal Romance

Status
Not open for further replies.

havefaith22

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a beta reader who has an interest in my plot (query paragraph below) or is a paranormal (maybe even inspirational) romance writer themselves.

When dubbed “man hater” Quinn LeClare starts receiving anonymous notes under her door and midnight visits from a peculiar old man, her lackluster life soon develops into a soap opera with epic proportions. Could she really be the reincarnation of Gianozza, the original, real-life Juliet? And how could Julian Michaels, a narcissistic philanderer possibly be her reincarnated Mariotto, a.k.a. Romeo? Can Quinn get past her contempt for Julian and fulfill both their destinies, or will her stubborn nature push her toward John, the romantic, old-fashioned gentleman? As Quinn sorts through the - at times obscure - clues left by Hal, a comedic Fatewinder, she travels down a twisted path of tragic love lost and divine intervention, learning the true meaning of soul mates. She must discover her past, predict her future, and fall in love before time runs out.

I've sent my completed MS to four people. My best friend stuck with me during the entire first draft and had some good things to say, but hasn't read the completed version because she's already read it "once." My co-worker only read the first three chapters (in 2 months) and every time I ask her about it, she says her family life is too crazy to read right now. Another co-worker is out on disability and I e-mailed it to her two weeks ago and haven't heard "boo" from her. I also shared my first three chapters with a fellow AW writer who gave great advice on the first three chapters, but hasn't replied to my emails in a month. I need to know if my MS is really THAT bad or if I'm running into bad beta readers.

Please help me! I need an honest opinion. I wouldn't mind a general feeling or a line by line critique. I'll take anything at this point! TIA!

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
Have you tried posting anything in SYW (password: vista)? You could mention you want betas for the full if you post some of it there, perhaps.

I can maybe help a bit if you post a chapter or two there, but my own schedule is a little too tight to beta another full right now.

havefaith22

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I've used SYW quite a bit. In fact, I completely revamped the beginning with the help of Jan Darby. If I don't have any luck here, I may have to request betas in there. Thanks for the suggestion.

havefaith22

Registered
Reaction score
Writing Partner

Hi, I'm changing my request from a beta reader to a writing partner, as I realized my MS needs more work on it before I can consider it finalized. I received some great feedback and have spent the day rearranging and cutting out unnecessary "glop" and entire scenes. So far I'm down from 83,000 words to 80,000. I think I'm on the right track, but would like another opinion. I've also rewritten my summary paragraph:

With the big three–oh just around the corner and an empty ring finger, Quinn LeClare feels less than enthusiastic as the maid of honor in her best friend’s wedding. Especially, when she learns she has to plan a co-shower with the best man, Julian Michaels, a man who lives by the mantra, “after sex, move on to the next.” After too many Julians in her past, Quinn steers clear of him right into the arms of John LaGoy, an old-fashioned sweetheart who treats her like a lady.

Just as she begins to get comfortable in her new relationship, strange notes appear under her door along with a midnight visit from a peculiar old man. She learns her ties to Julian are much stronger than merely planning a shower together. They are the reincarnations of Mariotto and Gianozza, the original Romeo and Juliet. Caught in the middle of a love triangle, Quinn must sort through the clues left by the Fatewinder to discover her past, predict her future, and fall in love before time runs out. If Quinn chooses happiness as a mortal over fulfilling her destiny in the afterlife, she could be stuck in an endless reincarnation loop, losing her memories of everyone she holds dear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.