We Have Our Answer from Immigration

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Yesterday at 4pm, our fifteen-month wait finally ended. We received news from US Immigration regarding Ibis' case -- unfortunately, we did not get the news we'd hoped for.

Denied.

That's right.

The actual letter stating why we were denied has yet to reach us, so I don't know the specifics. Our lawyer got the verdict via a call center and they only told her the result. There is an opportunity to appeal, but from what I understand:

A) our chances are relatively slim UNLESS there was some sort of error with the process, and

B) the average wait for an appeal is two years.

Frankly, that doesn't sound very appealing -- sorry, I can't help myself despite all this -- so as of today we're starting the process to move to Canada. We need to apply for visas and try to find jobs (so we can get visas), and a whole mess of things I haven't even discovered yet.

I announced this on Facebook yesterday afternoon and from the comments I've already received, I know a lot of people care about us and are very upset with this news. Many have asked if there's anything they can do -- some have even mentioned going to the media -- but I don't think it'll do much good. There are a lot of particulars with our case that I haven't made public and I don't know how they've impacted this outcome. (For those of you I've spoken to privately, this isn't directed towards you.)

I certainly appreciate the support -- without it I'd be in a puddle on the floor -- I just hate to have my friends spend their valuable time on something that most likely won't help.

That said, there ARE two things (off the top of my head) that we do need help with:

1) With the whole world spread out before us, Vancouver is our first choice on where to live. Edmonton is second. If you know anything about either city, if you have connections there, if you know of jobs, if you happen to be tight with Mr. Harper… that's where you can help us.

2) If you're in the market for a furnished two-bedroom condo on the Pacific coast of Mexico, I can get you a great deal.

I'll let you know more as we find out. Yes, we're pissed and frustrated and upset and more than a touch angry, but we're also relieved. Having this hanging over our heads for more than two years has been miserable and made it very difficult to be happy. At least now we can get on with our lives.

(Please forgive me for copying this from my blog. I didn't have the energy to write it again.)

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so saddened to hear the news, Hoo. Like so many others here I've been pulling for you guys, but as you said, at least now you can move on to better things. As long as you have each other to lean on (and us from time to time) I'm confident you'll find the happiness you deserve no matter where you call home.

We love ya, Hooey. :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
:Hug2:

Sorry. But I am glad there's closure.

Make up your mind to be happy wherever you go.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What the hell is up with those INS barstewards at the moment?

I know that you did everything right and by the book but it seems, at the moment, that USCIS can make arbitrary decisions that can't be challenged. It's my understanding that USCIS has been doing a lot of strange things lately and really messing with people's lives. That's the problem, our lives are in the hands of some bored-as-hell box-ticking clerk (I've seen a copy of the field guide, it's a huge manual with yes/no/tick questions) who does't equate the forms they're processing with people's lives.

I wish you luck. I share your frustration more than you can ever imagine.

I'm also in the denied camp, the appeal-denied-get-outta-the-country-soon camp.

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Thanks Quick & Wayne.

Firedrake, my understanding is that if we want to appeal, the office who denied it has to approve it for appeal, or something ridiculous like that, so the odds are not good. We can refile and go through this entire mess again, but that's also a couple more years, minimum.

*sigh*

I'm sorry you've had to go through this too. Until you've lived it it's impossible to understand the sheer frustration...

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I knew what to say. I'm so sorry to hear this, and I can't imagine how angry and scared you all must be. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in that area of Canada, nor am I moving anytime soon. My thoughts and prayers will be with you - please do keep us informed.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
It's bullshite, Hoo. For you too, firedrake. Just some of the typical stuff that happens when you give bureaucrats a little bit of power.

Hope it works out well for everyone.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Quick & Wayne.

Firedrake, my understanding is that if we want to appeal, the office who denied it has to approve it for appeal, or something ridiculous like that, so the odds are not good. We can refile and go through this entire mess again, but that's also a couple more years, minimum.

*sigh*

I'm sorry you've had to go through this too. Until you've lived it it's impossible to understand the sheer frustration...

Yea, motion to reconsider. It will say in the decision letter what options are available to you. I don't think that it's worth fighting them at the moment, they seem to be out of control. I think you're absolutely right to seek closure and move on, otherwise it can drive you nuts.

We're getting mentally prepared to return to the UK. We've had enough and, like you, we just want closure.

Good luck for whatever you decide to do.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score

I haven't been following your story, but I'm assuming you're trying to get US citizenship for a child so that you can move to the States?

Whatever the case, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Hope you have better luck in Canada.

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I wish I knew what to say. I'm so sorry to hear this, and I can't imagine how angry and scared you all must be. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in that area of Canada, nor am I moving anytime soon. My thoughts and prayers will be with you - please do keep us informed.

I'm actually more excited than scared. I've lived with being scared for two years and I'm excited that we'll hopefully be able to get away from this place soon.

It's bullshite, Hoo. For you too, firedrake. Just some of the typical stuff that happens when you give bureaucrats a little bit of power.

Hope it works out well for everyone.

Thanks Haggis. From what I know, there are four people who review these cases, three of whom approve things pretty quickly. We apparently got #4.

Yea, motion to reconsider. It will say in the decision letter what options are available to you. I don't think that it's worth fighting them at the moment, they seem to be out of control. I think you're absolutely right to seek closure and move on, otherwise it can drive you nuts.

We're getting mentally prepared to return to the UK. We've had enough and, like you, we just want closure.

Good luck for whatever you decide to do.

Good luck to you, too. It's not the moving that pisses me off, it's being told we aren't ALLOWED to do what we want. And yes, I can return to the US any damn time I want, but that wouldn't bode well for my marriage.

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com

I haven't been following your story, but I'm assuming you're trying to get US citizenship for a child so that you can move to the States?

Whatever the case, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Hope you have better luck in Canada.

No, a US visa for my husband, who is Mexican.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
so sorry to hear this, melanie.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Canada is a fine country full of fine people. You guys can crash with Brainstorm77 for a while :D

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your Canadian applications. It's a vast and beautiful country with loads of great people. I cottage in southern Ontarario, and you and Ibis are invited for a blissful week of doing nothing at all on a beautiful lake. Oh, and your little dog, too!

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
We're definitely excited about Canada, assuming we can get in. A lot of people are reaching out and that helps a lot.

Dolores, that sounds absolutely divine. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I heard yesterday, Mel. I'm sad for you. Let me know if you need any info on Ontario at all. I will do what I can. Hopefully your attempts to get into Canada will be successful. It's a huge and wonderful country. Good luck!

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Thanks Kevin. Even though Ontario is closer to my family, we're looking at the west coast (unless jobs lead us there...). I know that's blasphemy -- please forgive me. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The west coast is divine. If you like wet...the weather will treat you better there than it does in Ontario. I wish you success.

Being on this side of the border...let me know if there's anything you need.