Halloween!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, it's officially a month before the big day. Anyone got their costumes worked out?

I'm going as Azula from Avatar the Last Airbender this year. It ought to be a lot of fun. This is the one I'm doing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26604932@N03/3363601239/in/photostream/

(bad picture, sorry). I actually did most of this over the summer when I had time, which is probably good because it was a pain in the patootey. I had to make three full practice versions of that dress before I got it right. I've still got to make the armor, which a) shouldn't be hard but b) I have no idea what I'm doing. :D

Last year I was the Blue Spirit, which was really fun. I painted a wooden hanya mask, so it actually looked pretty scary, and I got to run around school with my swords and freak out all my students. :) Actually, most of them thought it was cool and enjoyed playing with the swords themselves, but it was still a lot of fun. I don't actually remember Azula using weapons, which is a bit disappointing, but I'm thinking of making a bunch of origami shuriken and chucking those at people. :D Actually, I'll see if I can't get some pictures somewhere to show.

So anyone else big on dress up? What's your costume going to be this year?

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't decided on me, yet, but my son is either going to be Harry Potter or Max from Where the Wild Things Are if I can find a costume that doesn't cost $100. :)

I'm leaning towards a classic book character, too, but don't know which. Maybe Alice in Wonderland or something? I dunno...I'm not very creative this year!

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo! More Avatar fans!

I probably have a test or something on All Hallows Eve.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
We have a very (very) large Halloween party every year, complete with full-house decorations, DJ, and heavy drinking.

Costumes are MANDATORY in order to be permitted in the house ;)

This year I'm going as my hubby's "dream girl"... half Selene from Underworld (he has a thing for Kate Beckinsdale) and half sexy tattooed chick.

selene-underworld.jpg
2189511.jpg

I've got the liquid leather pants, corset, boots, bright pale blue-lavender eye contacts, some fabulous temporary tattoos, and I'm dying my hair black for the occasion ;)

Paper & Pencil

I miss the pink elephant...
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't done anything special for Halloween in years, but my sister said if we move before my nephew's birthday (the 28th) then she'll give him a Halloween/Birthday party, maybe I'll try dressing up then.
I considered dressing up as a Viera for the next anime convention but maybe it'll be a Halloween costume instead.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/art/12-viera-a.jpg

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm being cheap this year (kid in college) so I think I'm going to recycle this from several years ago:
images

From the days when zombies weren't covered with slime and gore--Carnival of Souls. I do have to work all day in the costume. It limits my choices. :D

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been told I could play the Wicked Witch of the West, without make-up :evil So maybe I'll just break out the black pointy hat. Or else be Jabba the Hutt in drag ;)

MM

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
No costumes this year, but I'm already planning for next. Since we'll have a little munchkin I've got all sorts of plans. Plan #1 is this:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=315663.0

Plan #2, if I can find the time to make the costumes, will be munchkin as Naruto, me as Tsunade, and my husband as Jiraiya. This one might have to wait a couple of years though. ;)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, that Zelda baby outfit is CUTE. And Jabba the Hut in drag is hilarious. If you do that I'd love to see pictures haha.

It seems like every year there's something on Halloween (it's on a weekend, business trip, etc.) but I usually just do the closest day instead. This year the school festival is on Halloween, and that should be a blast. It means running around in crazy costume with loads of strangers at the school. ;) It ought to be fun. I was talking to my neighbor yesterday about making a costume for her daughter (2) just for kicks so they can go. I need to start looking for things, actually haha.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going as Pierrot, and my little dog will be Harlequin :D

We have all kinds of things going on in various arts districts and closed-off squares. I kid you not, my dog gets giddy when I show him his outfit! He loves the carnival atmosphere as much as I do :D

collectible-figurines-rosenthal-reclining-pierrot-21118064.jpg

images

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I want a black hooded cloak, a pan and mallet and the words "Death Panel Judge" stitched on the black cloak.

I want to walk down the streets, calling out, "Bring out the Dead!" all night long.

Is that too much to ask for?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I was Elvira. I haven't figured out this year's costume.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a closet full of costumes. (Don't ask.) But I'll probably end up working anyway. :(

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
We just stay in our basement with all the lights out upstairs until Halloween is over.

My husband never celebrated it. I used to, but haven't done anything in quite some time. I love to decorate for it, but here we rarely have trick-or-treaters.

We also never go to any parties. We have no friends. We're never invited anywhere. My husband wouldn't go anyway if we were.

And I used to love dressing up.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
^^^ Check out Meetup.com or similar and do something with a writer's group or something! Or if y'all have an arts district, dress up and look at the art and sip coffee!

You gotta dress up if you love it. Want me to come over :D ?

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We just stay in our basement with all the lights out upstairs until Halloween is over.

My husband never celebrated it. I used to, but haven't done anything in quite some time. I love to decorate for it, but here we rarely have trick-or-treaters.

We also never go to any parties. We have no friends. We're never invited anywhere. My husband wouldn't go anyway if we were.

And I used to love dressing up.

Have you considered trickery? Bribes? Physical domination?

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I wish people would come over.

We don't know anybody here but the lady next door and my husband's ex-wife.

And we've lived her since 2005.

When we lived on post in AK, we had people over all the time and I cooked tons of food for folks. Nothing here.

When we go to Chicago to visit his family, his mom is always going to parties and inviting people over. We don't go to the parties and when she has people over, we either leave or stay in the basement til they leave.

I thought I was antisocial, but my husband's got me beat by a long shot.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
I love Halloween. My favorite holiday. I usually don't dress up much, but my daughters do ... and I love watching them run around from house to house on a cool autumn evening. So much better than Christmas and slightly better than Thanksgiving.

ThePaperGypsy

Won't be on much till December. :(
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I don't know what I'm going to be for Halloween, but I was thinking about something that involves this makeup.
3970160439_28c66dfc4a.jpg

Opinions/ideas anyone?